Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

REPEAT: The 2016-2017 Cleveland Cavaliers Thread

LeBron signs (for multiple years!) to become the highest paid player in the league and I can officially begin next year's thread.

Now sign JR.

Comments

• DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    Sack.  OK  I like you again.  :-)

The_Sackman
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    I'm currently watching Magic/Cavs preseason game because I'm not lame at all. You can't tell a ton but Mike Dunleavy is going to be a nice role player and Kay Felder absolutely belongs. Felder looks terrific out there. His size will probably be an issue on the defensive end but Kay can play.
  • TAW92TAW92 Dodds God
    I watched most of the game also - agree on your points. While he may not play a ton yet this season, Jordan McRae can flat out score.
    The_Sackman
    TAW92 said:

I watched most of the game also - agree on your points. While he may not play a ton yet this season, Jordan McRae can flat out score.

The problem is that he doesn't pass! But he might be a nice role player.
    Just sign JR already. He's already showing up at Windians games with the rest of the team!
    BREAKING: JR and the Cavs agree to a 4 year/57 million dollar deal. Welcome back, Swish!!!
    I can't stop laughing at The Undertaker randomly showing up to The Q in character just because LeBron wore his shirt before a game 4-5 months ago. This is THE BEST.
    Looked great last night while the Warriors were doo doo.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    What a great night all around for the city of Cleveland.
  • fcsofenfcsofen Off-Campus Slummer
    Congrats Cleveland fans. Bring home a WS for the AL. Enjoy! 
    Kevin Love, clearly motivated by Gus Ragland, has 34 points in the first quarter.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    The Cavs are so much better now than they were a year ago at this time.  They may be even better now than they were at the end of last season.  The other 3 teams that I see as championship contenders are Golden State, LAC, and San Antonio.  Both San Antonio and and Golden State have changed their starting lineups and some of the bench and like the Cavs last year, it may take them a year to come together.  The Clippers still have their team pretty much in tact, but have made some good additions to their bench.  Right now the Clippers and Cavs seem the best, but it is a long time till the playoffs roll around.
    DICK said:

The Cavs are so much better now than they were a year ago at this time.  They may be even better now than they were at the end of last season.  The other 3 teams that I see as championship contenders are Golden State, LAC, and San Antonio.  Both San Antonio and and Golden State have changed their starting lineups and some of the bench and like the Cavs last year, it may take them a year to come together.  The Clippers still have their team pretty much in tact, but have made some good additions to their bench.  Right now the Clippers and Cavs seem the best, but it is a long time till the playoffs roll around.

It's amazing how different the basketball looks when the team plays carefree. Kevin Love has never looked better.
    It's hard rooting against Delly. Hell, I even rooted for Australia in The Olympics.
    DSnyder15DICK
    Those orange retro jerseys are great but I want them to bring back the blues with orange letters/numbers. That uni is fire.
    What. A. Game. Kyrie still the best.

Four in a row over the "greatest team of all time"
    Re6H5wkDSnyder15
    Kyle Korver...he'll fit in nicely! David Griffin is such a good GM. It's Griffin, not LeBron, ya bunch of h8rs.
    Yikes...this team is (drunk Joe Namath voice) strug-gah-ling. Probably should stop whining into the microphone and playing a little more than "zero" defense.
    DSnyder15
    They miss Delly's D and physical toughness.  Also...he and Love were the only ones who passed the ball up court.

Shit, this dissent is nothing. The Bulls implosion is amazing.
    LeBron should quit his bitching about the team spending more money. Gilbert already has the highest payroll in the league. Think about that--not NY, LA, Chi--but Cleveland. And if he wants another player, he should take a pay cut from his league high $30 million to pay for it. If he wants to run a team,buy one. Name yourself owner, GM, coach and resident superstar. Then he can do whatever he wants or spend as much as as he wants/can.Until then, take your $30M and shut the hell up.
    fcsofen said:

LeBron should quit his bitching about the team spending more money. Gilbert already has the highest payroll in the league. Think about that--not NY, LA, Chi--but Cleveland. And if he wants another player, he should take a pay cut from his league high $30 million to pay for it. If he wants to run a team,buy one. Name yourself owner, GM, coach and resident superstar. Then he can do whatever he wants or spend as much as as he wants/can.Until then, take your $30M and shut the hell up.

You are not incorrect.
    redhawksnreds
  • mrgredhawkmrgredhawk Senior Barfly
    edited January 27
    fcsofen said:

LOL you're mighty salty at the guy who made a whole city relevant vs a billionaire owner who continues to line his pockets off lebron and wants the city to fund a stadium makeover
    A billionaire owner who has done a hell of a lot for Cleveland and Detroit. By the way, I heard on ESPN show yesterday that Gilbert LOST $40 million last year. And that in a championship year! And yes, I do understand creative accounting.

As for public funding of new/remodeled stadiums, I agree with you. A billionaire several times over doesn't need huge public fund contributions to run his organization. Jerry Jones, the Dallas Cowboys fraud, takes credit for "his" new stadium when there was a $425,000,000 contribution from public funds to fund the cost. But now, suddenly, it's "Jerry's house." Pure BS. 
    DSnyder15
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited January 30
    fcsofen, If LeBron took a pay cut all the way to zero, it would not open up one cent of cap space for the CAVS.  I know that does not seem logical, but if he took zero, the Cavs would still be over the cap so it would not help.

Part of LeBron agreeing to return to Cleveland is that Gilbert would spend whatever it took to bring a championship to Cleveland.  Now, I would say the issue is that LeBron is not satisfied with one, he wants more championships.  Gilbert is reverting to being more interested in making more money.
    Who are they supposed to get and how? It's easy to say "we need more" but who are you getting that is available and how do you afford that?

It's just so pointless. They'll get someone once vets get bought out.

Played well today though even though Love's back spasms returned.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Last year the Cavs had JR Smith, Delly, and Mo Williams.  All of them could create offense and defend.  I have no idea what they were thinking when they traded for Korver, but he provides none of those skills.  He is a great pure shooter, that was not really an area of need.
    DICK said:

Last year the Cavs had JR Smith, Delly, and Mo Williams.  All of them could create offense and defend.  I have no idea what they were thinking when they traded for Korver, but he provides none of those skills.  He is a great pure shooter, that was not really an area of need.

Because Mike Dunleavy was very worthless and they somehow saved money on this deal.
    DSnyder15
    edited January 31
    I don't think Gilbert has cut back spending....they just have to be patient.  What they want and need will not be available until February.  LeBron needs a little MJ in him...get on his teammates and demand they defend. They miss Delly and JR.  Luckily they get JR back.  If LeBron thinks they should have matched the offer to Delly....he is delusional.  There will be players available near the deadline that will help....they need to focus on getting better with what they have.