Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Comments

• EDDIEEDDIE Senior Barfly
    He will be gone and rightfully so (I'm assuming he's guilty with all of the witnesses).
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Off-Campus Slummer
    what an idiot. hope he spends decades in jail.
    Hawks24
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    I hope the victim is OK
  • If he were at UC, he'd still be starting.
  • ScalperScalper Senior Barfly
    edited November 2016
    What would possess a person to knock a ladder out from under another person?  Was it a worker up there?  Why was there a ladder there to begin with?  Makes no sense...but then, maybe he was not exhibiting any sense at the time.  I could understand a fistfight under certain circumstance but this would appear to be a helpless individual?  Very interested in finding out more on this one.  Not sure we have enough intel yet but the lack of judgement if was intentional is enough.  Next man up, the story of life.

FWIW, Kent's safety was arrested for kidnapping according to ESPN.  
    DSnyder15
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Senior Barfly
    Scalper said:

What would possess a person to knock a ladder out from under another person?  Was it a worker up there?  Why was there a ladder there to begin with?  Makes no sense...but then, maybe he was not exhibiting any sense at the time.  I could understand a fistfight under certain circumstance but this would appear to be a helpless individual?  Very interested in finding out more on this one.  Not sure we have enough intel yet but the lack of judgement if was intentional is enough.  Next man up, the story of life.

Alcohol? Previous encounter with whoever was on ladder? Who knows.
  • bpatbpat Off-Campus Slummer
    edited November 2016
    Maybe he hates ladders like that dude that hated cans on the Jerk ;)

ScalperProfessor_Fatethechuck_2112muhawk
  • GeneGene Summer Orientee
    Why was he uptown and partying anyway during football season?
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Off-Campus Slummer
    The article in The Student says he was being "removed" from Brick Street.  I would take that to mean he was being forcibly removed.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Senior Barfly
    Gene said:

You're not that naive are you?
  • RedseaRedsea Off-Campus Slummer
    I noticed that he wasnt on the 2 deep. Yuk

Gene said:

Under Hawood, I do believe uptown was off limits during the season.
    And, no, I am not naive!
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Scalper said:

For whatever reason Brick Street usually updates their marquee between midnight and closing time so it's not abnormal to see someone up on a ladder at that late hour.  My guess is he was in break stuff mode from being thrown out and the ladder was in his sights, he probably didn't even realize someone was on it.
  • ScalperScalper Senior Barfly
    Mak s sense.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Senior Barfly
    Gene said:

Gene said:

I remember seeing a video of a post game speech by Haywood where he specifically told the kids they had uptown privileges after a big win. Haywood was strict, but he didn't keep the kids on lock down 24/7. I'm good with Martin letting the guys have a good time after a Friday night win. A 22 year old upperclassmen should be more responsible than that.
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Off-Campus Slummer
    Under Haywood, uptown was indeed off limits. Seniors had uptown privileges after big wins. Coaches made rounds to be sure players were not uptown.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Iam4hawks said:

Under Haywood, uptown was indeed off limits. Seniors had uptown privileges after big wins. Coaches made rounds to be sure players were not uptown.

And plenty of kids still got out.
    yanksalex said:

Iam4hawks said:

And plenty of kids still got out.
    Yes....and if caught they paid a price, from what I heard they usually came in the form of having "enhanced individual conditioning" in the EARLY a.m. the day after you were seen uptown. 

Gene said:

Gene said:

I remember seeing a video of a post game speech by Haywood where he specifically told the kids they had uptown privileges after a big win. Haywood was strict, but he didn't keep the kids on lock down 24/7. I'm good with Martin letting the guys have a good time after a Friday night win. A 22 year old upperclassmen should be more responsible than that.
    I am fine with them being uptown too until something like this happens. It's a team sport. Team has to pay for this idiocy. 
  • Redskin89Redskin89 Dodds God
    edited November 2016

NM--still trying to figure out how to delete entire posts--just ended up deleting comment not post.

• BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    There is zero defense to what Smierciak did if true. Not alcohol. Not drugs. Nothing. And banning players from uptown isn't the answer. Teaching them to be responsible law abiding citizens that Miami University can be proud of is the answer.
    mrgredhawkDSnyder15skin66AORedHawk33a26davethechuck_2112Scalpermuhawkkillgas20
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Senior Barfly
    rexjack53 said:

Decades, huh? Let's start with being removed from the team, an apology and medical liability....
    Re6H5wk
  • rexjack53 said:

The statutory sentencing range is 2-8 years. "Decades" seem off the table here.
    AORedHawk33Re6H5wk
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Off-Campus Slummer
    Was not serious with decades.  His career is over. What a waste.
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Off-Campus Slummer
    Meanwhile, any word on the real victim, the person on the ladder?
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    grumpy1 said:

Yes, what steps are being taken?
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Senior Barfly
    dave67 said:

grumpy1 said:

Yes, what steps are being taken?
    It's gonna be an uphill climb for the guy...or gal....
  • ChiefPanicChiefPanic Havighurstite
    I can't tell if we're being punny due to the ladder being involved or not. I assume not, as I'm more insensitive than most of you all.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    A pun is the sincerest form of insensitivity.