Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Welcome aboard Courtney Vierstra!

Courtney Vierstra of Lakewood High in Hebron, Ohio signed her NLI to join the RedHawks this morning. Last spring, as a junior, she finished the season with a 21-0 record, a 0.50 ERA, and a state title.

Love and Honor, Courtney!

AORedHawk33killgas20

Comments

• dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Holy smokes!  Welcome Courtney!
  • A longer story from the Newark Advocate, which named her its softball pitcher of the year in the summer.

Vierstra enjoyed a banner sophomore season in the circle, leading the Lancers to Division II state runner-up honors and pitching a one-hitter against Keystone in the state semifinals. She was even better in 2016, going 21-0 with a microscopic 0.50 ERA, leading Lakewood to its fourth state championship, and earning Advocate Pitcher of the Year for a second consecutive season. She also was voted Licking County League-Buckeye Division Player of the Year.

Always a hard thrower, Vierstra actually increased her velocity.

"I would say anywhere from 2 to 4 miles per hour," Nadolson said. "And all of her pitches moved more."

Vierstra is not one to rest on her laurels. There's a reason she was even better this spring.

"A lot of people throw hard, and eventually, everyone catches up to the speed," she said. "You have to have some movement, location and different pitches. That's why I relied a lot more on my screwball, riseball and changeup. My drop curve and screwball were probably my two best pitches. It's a hitter's game now, and you have to hit your spots."

• BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Girl can bring the heat!!