Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

College football head coaching changes 2016–2017

Charlie Strong is officially out at Texas

Comments

• 2xHawk2xHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Not officially official.
  • Previously fired:

FIU: Ron Turner (Butch Davis - 2017)
    Fresno St: Tim DeRuyter (Jeff Tedford - 2017)
    Georgia St: Trent Miles
    LSU: Les Miles
    Purdue: Darrell Hazell
  • Jeff Tedford was such a terrible hire in comparison to the price. I can't imagine what Fresno State is thinking paying him roughly $1.75 million a year on a fully guaranteed five-year contract. And this is after paying DeRuyter a $3 million buyout.
    redhawk11
  • Rumors of Houston head coach, Tom Herman, to take the head job at LSU.

I don't understand Ed Orgeron. Yes, he made some mistakes at Ole Miss years ago. But LSU has looked great. Is Orgeron the guy to take over Purdue, or Notre Dame?
    redhawk11
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    I really want Coach O to get on somewhere. He deserves it.
  • Orgeron would do very well at a high level G5 school, and probably a decent job at a P5 without huge expectations. He's not good enough of a coach to succeed long term at a big time program imo, but he should get another shot sometime.
    redhawk11Quinoaburger
  • I think Orgeron will end up hired by LSU. This rumor smells like Herman's agent telling Texas to get moving.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Senior Barfly
    DACOAHOGONNAMAKEYOAHFFOTBAWPROGUMBETTAHANNAHISSAPLAYAHLUVHIMACAUSSAHEBRINNGGACOOKIE
    laxmom
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2016
    It's been a while since we've seen DACOACHO speak around here. Always good to see it.
  • JWagsJWags Dodds God

Orgeron would do very well at a high level G5 school, and probably a decent job at a P5 without huge expectations. He's not good enough of a coach to succeed long term at a big time program imo, but he should get another shot sometime.

I think if you get Coach O a pair of very good coordinators, he can be successful.  They already have Aranda, thats a good start.  He can recruit, and he's a fantastic motivator.  LSU is probably a bit too marquee.  If he was somewhere like Any B12 school outside of UT or OU, or an ACC school, he'd be fine.
  • Louisiana-Lafayette is on track for a second straight 4-8 season and they were caught up in an NCAA scandal earlier this year that resulted in minor sanctions. I don't know a lot about their program, but I would have to imagine that their coach is in hot water right now. If that guy were to get fired after this season, ULL seems like it would be a great place for Orgeron to go.
    DICK
  • olafolaf Summer Orientee

je suis d'accord
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    DevilGrad said:

DACOAHOGONNAMAKEYOAHFFOTBAWPROGUMBETTAHANNAHISSAPLAYAHLUVHIMACAUSSAHEBRINNGGACOOKIE

This is a clever way of saying what i wanted to say.  Coach O cannot coach at Purdue or Notre Dame.  Nobody would know what the heck he just said.  Ne needs to stay in Louisiana or Mississippi where people will understand what he is saying.
    redhawk11
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    LSU announcing their new coach at 1 pm...someone find out if Chuck is on a plane!!!
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Strong gone. Herman to LSU, Texas or stay at Houston? The suspense is killing me. B)
    Orgeron to be named LSU HC today.
    Professor_Fate
    Herman new coach of Texas!
  • Good luck to Herman. I would stay at Houston before trusting that program.
  • I think Orgeron will end up hired by LSU. This rumor smells like Herman's agent telling Texas to get moving.

Yep

Yep
    I'm enjoying the conversation you're having with yourself
    dave67thechuck_2112
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Senior Barfly
    Very surprised at all the criticism of Orgeron....the guy has won of late...
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    MUHawk84 said:

Very surprised at all the criticism of Orgeron....the guy has won of late...

There were some folks who had trouble pronouncing his name with a southern drawl.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Why in the hell would PJ even consider Purdue??? That's a death sentence, not a promotion.

Yep
    I'm enjoying the conversation you're having with yourself
    It's a very erudite one!
    Professor_Fate
  • Great story about Orgeron getting the LSU head coaching job:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-ed-orgeron-lsu-20161126-story.html
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Senior Barfly
    edited November 2016
    DICK said:

DevilGrad said:

This is a clever way of saying what i wanted to say.  Coach O cannot coach at Purdue or Notre Dame.  Nobody would know what the heck he just said.  Ne needs to stay in Louisiana or Mississippi where people will understand what he is saying.
    The funniest post in the history of MHT was the time Dan Dalrymple told us his wife was worried that if he stayed with the Saints too long, their kids would grow up talking like Ed Orgeron.

• Charlie Partridge out at FAU.
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    I guess they are supposed to be interested in Luke Fickell,
    I almost feel sorry for the shit storm Brian Kelly has created for himself at ND.  Nah, who am I kidding! I am loving it!!
    Professor_FateDSnyder15dave67
  • Football Scoop is reporting that FAU will significantly increase its salary pool for the head coach and assistants, and that we should expect to see far more than just the "usual" mid-major names interested in the job. (Partridge made $500k.)