Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Cincinnati Reds 2017 thread

Now that the collective bargaining agreement has been agreed to (wipes brow) let's start one of these bad boys.

Redsfest this weekend and the Winter Meetings immediately follow.

Won't be long until pitchers and catchers report to Goodyear!

Comments

• Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Glad to hear there's been an agreement.
  • MowchMowch Senior Barfly
    Found it strange that the Reds left a couple of good minor leaguers unprotected for the upcoming Rule 5 draft, then turn around a week later and sign a pair of released guys who they place on the 40-man roster.

While it's a very good sign that all of the dead wood has now been pruned from the 40-man, I'd wager they lose at least 1 player in the Rule 5 draft.
  • twstws Havighurstite
    edited December 2016
    Reds pick 2 catchers in Rule 5 draft, trade one immediately.  Lose none in major league phase.  Lose 2 they just signed to minor league contracts.  Very uneventful.
    Glad they didn't lose anyone. I was most worried about Zack Weiss, although missing all of 2016 to injury means maybe he's still injured.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Senior Barfly
    edited December 2016
    tws said:

Reds pick 2 catchers in Rule 5 draft, trade one immediately.  Lose none in major league phase.  Lose 2 they just signed to minor league contracts.  Very uneventful.

Luis Torrens, I hardly knew you. 
    Looked right over this one with my last post in the 2016 thread.
    edited January 3
    Let's try this: http://test.miamihawktalk.com/talk/discussion/comment/46897/#Comment_46897

Reds sign Drew Storen: coming off a down year; will have opportunity to be used in high leverage situations
    Votto declines to play in World Baseball Classic
    Title changes in Front Office: From the We Knew This Was Coming department: President of Baseball Ops added to Dick Williams title, Jocketty to serve as executive advisor
    I like the Storen signing. Still only 29. Big Reds fan in his childhood, and high school battery-mate with Tucker Barnhart. Lost about 3 mph off his fastball from 2015 to 2016. Hopefully he'll gain some of that back.

Beat writer C. Trent Rosecrans said Storen dressed up multiple times for Halloween as Chris Sabo.
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    I don't what the point is of continuing to try to trade him without a pre-approved list of teams he would accept trades to.
    2xHawk said:

I don't what the point is of continuing to try to trade him without a pre-approved list of teams he would accept trades to.

He has full no trade clause based on his 10-5 rights. Assuming it's like last year, when reports were he wanted an extension from the Nationals, who said no, and then he vetoed. 
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Senior Barfly
    Pretty simple solution if I'm Dick Williams: "Brandon, either you come off the bench or welcome to free agency."
    While BP has continued to be a productive player into his mid-30's, it's time to turn the page. He won't be with the Reds beyond 2017, and his replacement(s) need to get at-bats versus major league pitchers. Supposedly the Reds have told Brandon that he'll be in a diminished role this season. As long as he doesn't rock the boat, I'm fine with him sticking around in that capacity.

Same thing with Cozart, although he doesn't have the 10/5 rights that Phillips does, and might bring a useful piece in a trade.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum

Pretty simple solution if I'm Dick Williams: "Brandon, either you come off the bench or welcome to free agency."

Yes, but do you really want all that $$ on the bench?
    TruckCrew said:

2xHawk said:

He has full no trade clause based on his 10-5 rights. Assuming it's like last year, when reports were he wanted an extension from the Nationals, who said no, and then he vetoed. 
    Exactly, so why would they even waste their time trying to trade him without talking to him and getting his requirements + list of approved teams beforehand.  It all seems like a colossal waste of time if you haven't worked those things out in advance.
    Reds avoided arbitration with Cozart, Hamilton, Cingrani, and Blake Wood today. 
    Reds/Marlins may be near deal to send Dan Straily to South Florida.

Three minor league players rumored to the Reds:

Austin Brice: Brief stint with Marlins last year, 24 years old, starter through AA, relieved at AAA and MLB levels. 
    Luis Castillo: I think this is the right baseball-reference page for him. There are three minor league Luis Castillo's currently playing. 
    TBD

Mowch
    That would be a great deal if true.  Castillo is listed as their #2 prospect by Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus.  Coming to us for a guy who's likely back of the rotation at best whom we got for nothing last year.
    Mowch
  • Colonel_PanicColonel_Panic Summer Orientee
    This is a great example of selling high.  Hopefully we have fleeced the Marlins two times, including the Latos trade.
    Mowch
    2xHawk said:

That would be a great deal if true.  Castillo is listed as their #2 prospect by Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus.  Coming to us for a guy who's likely back of the rotation at best whom we got for nothing last year.

Brice rated #9 (and Castillo #5 on MLB.Com Prospect Pipeline). Isaiah White is the 3rd prospect (from MLB.com) who is a 19-year old outfielder, rated #16 on MLB.com Prospect Pipeline. 
    I love this trade. Straily had a lot of luck last year based on his peripherals and I see him with a 5.00 ERA in the future. Not to mention the number of times Billy Hamilton made a highlight reel play with Straily on the mound.

I'd prefer innings to go to Reed, Garrett, or Stephenson.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    This seems like the first trade in a long time in which the Reds made out like bandits
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    This is a great trade. Got Straily for nothing and turned him into a potential starter, a potential reliever/starter and a young but promising OF. Great move by the front office!!
    One of the Baseball America guys said that the Reds got more for Straily than they did for Chapman. While time will tell, my response to that: "Based on what I've seen from the return on Chapman (2 of the 4 have already been dropped from the 40-man roster) I would certainly hope they did."
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited January 21
    Williams > Jocketty
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

Williams> Jocketty

Dwain?
    Draft positions have been finalized for the June MLB draft. The Reds have three of the first 38 picks (#2, #32, #38). 

RedReporter.com has a good outlook on a potential strategy. 
    Reds agree to one-year deal with right handed Scott Feldman. $2.3M.

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/824427098576187392
    TruckCrew said:

He's a RHP who was pounded by LHB to the tune of a .891 OPS. I don't like this signing. I know only 1 year, but he may become this season's Ross Ohlendorf.

Mowch said:

TruckCrew said:

He's a RHP who was pounded by LHB to the tune of a .891 OPS. I don't like this signing. I know only 1 year, but he may become this season's Ross Ohlendorf.

I don't know that 2016 (especially the Toronto version) is anything more than an outlier. Looks that way on paper. It could be a trend. We'll find out.

Also depends on where he fits in (starting or relieving) and in what situations.