Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

All bowl games

TruckCrewTruckCrew Senior Barfly
edited December 2016 in Rogue Boosters
Found it interesting both Leonard Fournette and Christian McCafferty have decided to sit out their teams bowl games to focus on the draft.

While I understand not wanting to risk their huge pay days the competitor in me would be very disappointed if they were teammates of mine
dave67

Comments

• mrgredhawkmrgredhawk Senior Barfly
    TruckCrew said:

Found it interesting both Leonard Fournette and Christian McCafferty have decided to sit out their teams bowl games to focus on the draft.

While I understand not wanting to risk their huge pay days the competitor in me would be very disappointed if they were teammates of mine

I don't think it's a big deal, if a team was playing in the CFP I'd think differently.  If I was playing in any other bowl it's an exhibition.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Senior Barfly

TruckCrew said:

I don't think it's a big deal, if a team was playing in the CFP I'd think differently.  If I was playing in any other bowl it's an exhibition.
    Don't you think outgoing seniors on both LSU Stanford want to win in their final games? I get it from the Fournette/McCafferty standpoint, but I think I'd be damned pissed if I was a teammate.
    AORedHawk33dave67
    TruckCrew said:

TruckCrew said:

Don't you think outgoing seniors on both LSU Stanford want to win in their final games? I get it from the Fournette/McCafferty standpoint, but I think I'd be damned pissed if I was a teammate.
    of course they want to win but I doubt they are pissed.  If I was going to be guaranteed millions of dollars if I just stayed healthy for the next 6 months I'd sit it out also.  As an RB you have to rely on too much, If i was a teammate who missed a block and cost them a a guaranteed check I'd be sick to my stomach.  I get what you are saying but it's not black and white.  If I was a player who needed to improve my status I'd play. 
  • RedseaRedsea Off-Campus Slummer
    I think teammates would be upset.  I mean all of the games were exhibitions for Stanford and LSU shortly after their early losses.  I wouldn't blame the teammates for being upset at those guys.

At the same time you can certainly understand the decision of the players trying to protect or enhance their draft status.  There is a lot of money at stake. Wasn't there a Notre Dame player that got hurt in their bowl game last year?

I wouldn't be happy to find out Collin Buchanan is skipping the bowl game 

AORedHawk33
  • Kind of a bummer for fans making the trip when their star player opts out.☹️️
    redhawksnreds
  • FWIW, Fournette and McCaffrey's teammates have released statements supporting their decisions.
  • muohiobkmuohiobk Havighurstite
    Add another reason to the fact that college football system is awful IMO. Give me college bball all day.Too many meaningless bowls played. 
    Re6H5wkAORedHawk33
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    I am torn on this and actually support both sides. I am sure there are other players on both LSU and Stanford who will be drafted and have pro careers ahead of them who are going to play in the bowl game, so as a teammate of Mccaffrey and Fournette I would probably be pissed they aren't playing. But on the other hand if they suffer career ending injuries like the LB from ND last year, who is going to compensate them for the lost revenue? It's a tough call and can't fault anyone on either side of this debate.
    TruckCrew
  • I agree, Bluesman, but again, tough fir the fans who shell out the time, money and effort to attend the bowl game. No winners I guess.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Senior Barfly
    muohiobk said:

Add another reason to the fact that college football system is awful IMO. Give me college bball all day.Too many meaningless bowls played. 

Yea give me college bball where the best players only play 1 year.
    There is no perfect system.

DSnyder15
  • muohiobkmuohiobk Havighurstite
    redhawk11 said:

muohiobk said:

I agree with no perfect system but football has always had it all wrong IMO. The CFB playoff showed that this year.  If you don't love the first week on March Madness odds are you are not a bball fan in general which is ok too. 
    Re6H5wk
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Senior Barfly
    CMU is getting hammered by Tulsa, surprising nobody.
  • So if a team is 6 and 3 with no chance to go yo the CFP can star players decide to end their season with 3 games left?
  • Right now, it's 55-3 with 12 something to go in the game
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Senior Barfly
    This is really, really bad...
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    They shouldn't have been in a bowl game anyway. The bar has been set pretty high for "most embarrassing MAC loss" this bowl season.
    CycloneAl said:

So if a team is 6 and 3 with no chance to go yo the CFP can star players decide to end their season with 3 games left?

Only player who has done this is the DE from Oklahoma and his was for concussion reasons.. Fournette missed half the season with an ankle injury and mccaffrey has taken his fair share of hits.  Their teammates arent upset, I'm sure the backups are thrilled. It's not perfect or pretty but it is what it is... This wont keep coaches from going out and selling either as a 1st round pick and it wont keep the AD from reaching out for a donation when they get paid.  Also there are plenty of college coaches who advise high school kids who probably wont play for a year or two to forfeit other sports they play their senior year.
  • The back up running back for LSU had 1,249 yards on 157 carries. So as Jack Nicholson said in Mars Attacks, "That ain't half bad!"
  • They shouldn't have been in a bowl game anyway. The bar has been set pretty high for "most embarrassing MAC loss" this bowl season.

To be fair, Oklahoma State has the most embarrassing MAC loss this season.

MowchQuinoaburgerlaxmomRe6H5wkThe_Sackmanmz343
  • mz343mz343 Havighurstite
    muohiobk said:

redhawk11 said:

muohiobk said:

I agree with no perfect system but football has always had it all wrong IMO. The CFB playoff showed that this year.  If you don't love the first week on March Madness odds are you are not a bball fan in general which is ok too. 
    How about baseball?  Go pro or stay 3 years in college.  I'd take that in both sports.  For college hoops, I'd be ok with go pro or stay 2 years.
    redhawk11muohiobk
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Senior Barfly
    Quite the offensive show by Western Kentucky last night. 
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Off-Campus Slummer
    Pity the souls at the Poinsettia Bowl who thought they'd be getting dream weather in San Diego right now.
  • Monday is, by record, the worst bowl lineup of all time. All six teams are 6-6 or worse. There hasn't been even a single day since 2000 where every team was a 7-win squad.

The SB Nation writeup on our game:

6-6 Miami (Ohio) vs. 5-7 Mississippi State in St. Petersburg, Fla. at 11 a.m.

Both teams closed hot, with the Redhawks riding a 6-0 streak and the Bulldogs beating rival Ole Miss! But this is the rare combo: two bad teams, with one still way better than the other. MSU’s favored by two touchdowns. Also, this kicks off at 10 a.m. Starkville time. Also, nothing good can happen on the swamp planet that is Tropicana Field.

This is the game no longer worthy of being sponsored by “Beef ‘O’ Brady’s” or something to do with Bitcoin.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    By one count, 17 of the Bowl teams are 6-6.  Therefore, there are about nine more bowls than there should be.  Starting next year...this year, we're happy to be one of the 17.   :D
  • The Famous Idaho Potatoes Bowl is tonight.  -15.5 for Colorado State vs Idaho.  Do the Rams cover?
  • I've got Idaho in the pick'em. Few teams outside the playoff have the kind of motivation the Vandals do to win this one.
    AORedHawk33The_Sackman
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

I've got Idaho in the pick'em. Few teams outside the playoff have the kind of motivation the Vandals do to win this one.

Me too. Time to end their FBS history with a massive upset.
  • I agree with the above comments about Idaho, but they still have one more year in the FBS after tonight.
  • The Famous Idaho Potatoes Bowl is tonight.  -15.5 for Colorado State vs Idaho.  Do the Rams cover?

. "Do you want fries with that?"
    missmiami
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Senior Barfly
    Idaho looks a little bit motivated.