Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

duh OSU won't play Miami henceforth.

Per Rico's St.Cloud presser today,video on miamiredhawks.com,this was mentioned.
Must have given them one ass-Whoopin' too many!!

Bring on St.Cloud.

Comments

• yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    edited January 3
    I want to be careful how I word this since I don't think there is blame to be assigned so much as a changing of the times.

But it wasn't very long ago at all that we had regular basketball series with UD, X, UC, and Wright St.  In fact, I was surprised to see when I looked it up that our last game vs. UC in basketball was the 2011-2012 series.  Meaning that under David Sayler's watch as AD, we have lost all of our significant local basketball rivalries except Wright St and our most significant local hockey rivalry.  Losing OSU in hockey is a bit more shocking because, unlike in college hoops, there isn't an endless supply of local out-of-conference opponents with a reasonable distance from campus.

This is a really, really disappointing trend.  It's not as though Miami doesn't want local rivalries.  To wit, basketball fans can enjoy having NKU shoved down our throats and being told it's important for the next several years.  I'm not sure to what extent it will help if we swallow our pride and playing exclusively on the road, like we did vs. UC and X in hoops for a while, but at some point as a fan I'd rather see us get the short end of the stick than see all these series come to a close (although this applies much less to OSU in hockey as that program should have zero leverage on us).
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    edited January 4
    Seriously? So now the Buckeyes have decided that its hockey team is important enough to call off a series with the local team that routinely beats up on them? Good to know.

Well, I'm glad we dropped 6 on them in their building in what appears to be the final regular season meeting with them.
    Re6H5wkMowch
  • PuckluckPuckluck Summer Orientee
    Can't watch the video and before I fly off the handle, was this a Miami or OSU decision.
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    It was an OSU decision and not all that surprising.  
    hawkattack06
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    What's the harm in continuing this series? Wouldn't hurt them like playing us every year in hoops would.
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Off-Campus Slummer
    What's our all-time record against them?
  • adyonkaadyonka Senior Barfly
    With the addition of Notre Dame to their conference, all six current Big Ten teams have to reduce their out-of-conference schedule by one.
  • PuckluckPuckluck Summer Orientee
    Like I needed another reason to hate those blankety blanks.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum

I was wondering that too. We have to be ahead, right?
  • EDDIEEDDIE Senior Barfly
    Sorry to see the series end.  Seems like another opponent could have been axed. I've seen games at both rinks.
    edited January 3

76-61-14.

13-2-2 over the last 6 seasons and 8-0-1 in the last 9 games.
    Re6H5wkQuinoaburgerlaxmomLove_and_Honor
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Dodds God
    Well, that sux. I have already been gigging my OSU grad buddies about this...told em it's somewhat equivalent to Miami announcing we won't play OSU in football anymore.
    laxmom
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Dodds God
    Alex: very hard for this 1978 grad to accept what has happened to our hoops program and OCC schedule. Pathetic.
  • KAMUOHIOKAMUOHIO Havighurstite
    OSU doesn't do much for me in hockey. We have been the better team for a long time. Anything that happens with big 10 hockey doesnt surprise me. They basically threw the granade in the punch bowl when the blew up all that was good about college hockey.
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Off-Campus Slummer
    What a load of BS...Aren't well also the #1 draw when it comes to attendance at their games at Cheap Furniture Arena?
    redhawksnreds
  • EDDIEEDDIE Senior Barfly
    MJ was a -3 for the Bucks.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    All I will say is when I was at Miami seeing games at the old rink, because I am old, the OSU games were the highlight of the season. Placed was packed, fans banging on the glass, and like Alex, I lament the loss of our traditional rivalries in basketball and now hockey. That being said, no way do I think we should only play OSU on the road. Home and home or forget it.
  • redhawksnredsredhawksnreds Havighurstite
    Can't find the series record.
    I think we were 13-2-1 over last 16 games.
    An alternating year single game home/home should have worked if they only had to,trim one out of conference game.
    Still playing BGSU twice?
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Iam4hawks said:

What a load of BS...Aren't well also the #1 draw when it comes to attendance at their games at Cheap Furniture Arena?

I think behind Michigan we were consistently their next best ticket draw.

If you look at their schedule it's not like they are loading up on a lot of tough OOC opponents.  BG, Niagra, Bobby Morris, UConn, RPI, ASU and us.
  • Rather disappointing. I always enjoyed Miami beating the crap out of them. I don't understand the downside in scheduling Miami if you are OSU. They would rather play the crap OOC schedule they are rolling out there this year compared to playing a local rival? I miss the days of having Michigan, OSU, Michigan State , Notre Dame etc. roll into Oxford.
    AORedHawk33
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    edited January 4
    Miami is screwed on ever playing any brand name, local school, in hockey ever again.
    redhawk11
  • mollauttmollautt Senior Barfly

Miami is screwed on ever playing any brand name, local school, in hockey ever again.

=>Might as well just drop the program all together.

Re6H5wkmoose
  • adyonkaadyonka Senior Barfly
    Just have to travel a little more to a different brand name program. No problem--men's basketball can take big-name payouts to cover the bills.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Never should have left the CCHA

Well, we would win the conference every year... since there is no one left in the CCHA.
    dave67
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    As I put on Twitter this morning this has a whole lot to do with OSU not liking their asses being kicked on a regular basis and a whole less to do with B10 scheduling issues. Pansies!
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    muhawk said:

Well, we would win the conference every year... since there is no one left in the CCHA.
    We could go undefeated. (Of course we would go winless also)

• dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

As I put on Twitter this morning this has a whole lot to do with OSU not liking their asses being kicked on a regular basis and a whole less to do with B10 scheduling issues. Pansies!

Like, they'll never schedule Clemson again.   >:)
  • KAMUOHIOKAMUOHIO Havighurstite
    Bluesman said:

All I will say is when I was at Miami seeing games at the old rink, because I am old, the OSU games were the highlight of the season. Placed was packed, fans banging on the glass, and like Alex, I lament the loss of our traditional rivalries in basketball and now hockey. That being said, no way do I think we should only play OSU on the road. Home and home or forget it.

I remember this but it was Michigan as the opponent.

• redhawksnredsredhawksnreds Havighurstite
    ND,Michigan now duh OSU all running a hockey cartel heck with them
    Whip all their asses in post season play
    KAMUOHIOdave67