Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Props to Bake

I like Steve Baker (no surprise), but I don't really realize the extent to which I like him until I don't have him. Last night I was listening to the NIU broadcast on the TuneIn Radio app. It was pretty bad. Most of the time I couldn't even tell a player had taken a shot until I heard the crowd react. If a somewhat complicated play had transpired, it took him a while to sort it out. Lots of stating the obvious. At one point he said the game was taking place IN Miami.

Thanks for all you do, Bake!
gentbaseball12ScalperMowchLove_and_HonorMazAORedHawk33JDWaba222icepicsDICK

Comments

• MazMaz Havighurstite
    In my time as a Miamian (since 1988), I have been consistently amazed by how lucky/spoiled we have been in this area.
    Re6H5wkAORedHawk33gentbaseball12dave67
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    I had a similar experience listening to an Akron football game about 5 years ago. When it comes to the MAC, there is Bake and then there is everyone else. 
    redhawksnreds
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    BAKE IS THE MAN!!
    redhawksnreds
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Senior Barfly
    I like the sideline reporter addition. A professional enhancement and practical experience for some Miami students
    Re6H5wk
  • Old_RedskinOld_Redskin Summer Orientee
    There is no one better than Bake. We are fortunate to have have him and keep him here at Miami
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Hannah Jolly is doing a fine job. I could certainly see her making a career of this. Having Bake as a mentor certainly can do nothing but help!
    Iam4hawks
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    He's good. He reminds me of the late Harry Kalas, who I loved listening to as a Phillies fan growing up in Pa.
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Havighurstite
    Totally agree: I appreciate Him most when I hear other announcers. Bake is Da Bomb!
  • mollauttmollautt Senior Barfly
    =>It is amazing that he stayed working in Oxford given he is such a big Hollywood star and all. All the fame, fortune, and all the beautiful women never went to his head.

Unlike his Film Actors Guild colleagues, you don't see Bake wearing stupid ribbons, protesting on behalf of silly causes like "Save the Mexican Staring Frog of Southern Sri Lanka," speaking at political conventions, or calling off work the day after the election because unhappy with the results.

No, Bake is a regular guy (except for the outta control Coke habit).
    thechuck_2112
  • redhawksnredsredhawksnreds Senior Barfly
    Coca Cola!
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Bake also doesn't sleep, drives to games [usually doesn't fly because he has to be in 2 places at once], turned down the recording contract to sing the National Anthem as it should be sung [he's the only one in the world who does it right]; yet, he did go to St Pete with his family on a much deserved "break".  Bake is Number One in a lot of people's hearts! (oh, mine included obviously)
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Senior Barfly
    Bluesman said:

BAKE IS THE MAN!!

And still the future of rock 'n' roll.  
  • icepicsicepics Havighurstite

Yep, 97X morning drive with the Bakerman was the best.

Miami is lucky to have him - professional expertise + an all around good guy.

• MowchMowch Senior Barfly
    And those pipes.
    I'd actually like a recording of Mr. Baker singing the national anthem to play before CYO playoff games and the like. Bake, if you out there would you be willing to provide such?
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Senior Barfly
    He's better than Omar.
    Iam4hawksMowchDICK
    JohnnyMac said:

He's better than Omar.

Looking, looking, looking.................incomplete, no wait. It was caught.
    Mowchdigitalhawk
  • RedseaRedsea Senior Barfly
    Yes Bake is very good...way better than the other MAC guys that I listen too (Akron, BG, Toledo and Kent).  Way better than Mich State and Michigan's guys currently.  I think OSU and UC's guys are pretty good- but biased towards Bake.     

I don't listen to him as much now on football because of ESPN3- but he does a real nice job with the basketball games
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    JohnnyMac said:

He's better than Omar.

I'm better than Omar.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    (Who's Omar?)
    Iam4hawks said:

JohnnyMac said:

He's better than Omar.

My favorite, from a field goal try while I was at Miami. Honest to goodness, this was his call:

"Here's the snap... the kick is up... and it's no good... NO! IT'S A FAKE!"
    Re6H5wkDICK
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    I once wrote " Did you hear Omar Williams' broadcast of the Miami game last night? I did  and I'm still confused."

He wrote me (and "The Student") a scathing letter the next day. Actually, I thought it was pretty neat that he took the time to notice.

However, he was the "Dean" and pretty well-liked and well-respected.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Mowch said:

Iam4hawks said:

JohnnyMac said:

He's better than Omar.

My favorite, from a field goal try while I was at Miami. Honest to goodness, this was his call:

Was that UC 2002? If not, he had a similar call in that game that was glorious.

"The kick us up...AKETNI SVTMKSLGHISAOFNB...(silence)...TOUCHDOWN!!!"

Mowch said:

Iam4hawks said:

JohnnyMac said:

He's better than Omar.

Was that UC 2002? If not, he had a similar call in that game that was glorious.

"The kick us up...AKETNI SVTMKSLGHISAOFNB...(silence)...TOUCHDOWN!!!"
    I wish! That'd mean I was way younger. The game in question was played in the late 80's.
    The_Sackman
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Havighurstite
    edited January 7
    Omar had more fans in the stands than recent Miami teams have had. I can still see him walking press row at Millett,waving to the adoring crowd. Except it was largely sarcastic. And he didn't know.
  • VoxRedHawksVoxRedHawks Summer Orientee

Thanks for all the love, folks!

I truly love Miami and what I do. I have no intention of departing the premises anytime soon. Oxford has afforded me the opportunity to do what I love to do and grow into new areas at the same time. Starting with the days of 97X in 1984 and continuing in the new territory of ESPN3 today. I've been lucky to work with and learn from some amazing people along the way and wouldn't be doing what I do without them.

Omar was one of those people. I learned a lot from Omar in my early days at Miami and I appreciate those things even more today.

I'm thrilled to continue to see that Miami fans appreciate what I do and am always open to comments for improvement.

Love and Honor!

Redhawks16Re6H5wklaxmomHawks24AORedHawk33dave67fcsofengentbaseball12killgas20Scalperand 8 others.
    I still don't know who Omar is/was! I didn't start following Miami sports closely until the mid-90s.
  • adyonkaadyonka Wealthy Alum
    I'm pretty sure I have a copy of The Greatest Steve Baker Call Ever on my computer.

I speak, of course, of his memorable call of a wayward rabbit scoring a touchdown.
    killgas20
    adyonka said:

I'm pretty sure I have a copy of The Greatest Steve Baker Call Ever on my computer.

I speak, of course, of his memorable call of a wayward rabbit scoring a touchdown.

Is that they "give the bunny 6" call?
  • adyonkaadyonka Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

adyonka said:

Is that they "give the bunny 6" call?

Yes it is.
    Re6H5wkMowch