Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

As predictable as water being wet

All 32 players invited to USA January MNT camp are MLS guys.  I guess the single best player in a USA shirt the last three matches isn't needed anymore?  SMH.
AORedHawk33DSnyder15Quinoaburger

Comments

• Spanks004Spanks004 Senior Barfly

All 32 players invited to USA January MNT camp are MLS guys.  I guess the single best player in a USA shirt the last three matches isn't needed anymore?  SMH.

He could just be working them out to see who he likes out of them, then bring in the others later
    DSnyder15
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    edited January 5
    What are you talking about TD?

These January camps, otherwise known as 'Camp Cupcake' have always largely been made up of MLS-based players. JK did the same thing during his tenure as manager.

The camp lasts an entire month and doesn't fall in any FIFA international window so European based players are automatically out.
    yanksalexQuinoaburger
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    edited January 5

I'd generally assume a post like this is trolling but you're a moron, so maybe not.

SMH, Derek.
    muohiobkQuinoaburgerAORedHawk33
  • muohiobkmuohiobk Havighurstite

What are you talking about TD?

These January camps, otherwise known as 'Camp Cupcake' have always largely been made up of MLS-based players. JK did the same thing during his tenure as manager.

The camp lasts an entire month and doesn't fall in any FIFA international window so European based players are automatically out.

This is exactly right. European players are not usually released to attend this camp. I mean look at last years camp same thing

2016 camp:

FULL ROSTER
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Luis Robles (New York Red Bulls)

DEFENDERS (7): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Matt Miazga (New York Red Bulls), Eric Miller (Montreal Impact), Tim Parker (Vancouver Whitecaps FC), Marc Pelosi (San Jose Earthquakes), Matt Polster (Chicago Fire)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Fatai Alashe (San Jose Earthquakes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Jermaine Jones (Unattached), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Tony Tchani (Columbus Crew SC), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC)

FORWARDS (6): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Ethan Finlay (Columbus Crew SC), Jerome Kiesewetter (VfB Stuttgart), Jordan Morris (Unattached), Khiry Shelton (New York City FC), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

yanksalexAORedHawk33DSnyder15
  • muohiobkmuohiobk Havighurstite
    Also, sort of on topic but this is a great interview with Bob Bradley for those interested. Open book. Still think he was not given a fair shot, and is underrated as a coach. In fact, I thought he should have never been fired in first place from USMNT. He could never shake the "american" in europe stigma which is absurd, but is what it is. 

• mollauttmollautt Senior Barfly

=>They are always MLS players in the January camp. Other leagues are in season and cannot let players off for a month.

• trumpetdaddytrumpetdaddy Havighurstite
    My bad. Alex, is it always necessary to immediately go the ad hominem route? Seriously?
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum

My bad. Alex, is it always necessary to immediately go the ad hominem route? Seriously?

Just thought the all-knowing would hold himself to a higher standard.
    I never have said I'm all knowing. I made a factual error that was compounded by confirmation bias. Happens to the best of us.
    AORedHawk33
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Off-Campus Slummer
    Just figured you were overcome with excitement about the African Cup of Nations kicking off next week.  
    trumpetdaddylaxmom
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    What is predictable as water being wet is you seeing things though the prism of Europe. If you are a hammer...everything looks like a nail. 
    I've confessed to confirmation bias.  It's a confirmation bias based on the fact that European soccer IS better than North American soccer, and that Bruce Arena has made no bones about preferring MLS players to European-based players for his own various reasons.  So, sue me.

If you want me to get jazzed about American soccer players, then those players should try playing better against better competition and get contracts from top clubs in top leagues.  Pulisic is starting to do that.  A few others as well.  We'll see how it plays out over this WC cycle.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    I thought this was the thread about the snow. Carry on
    dave67
    DevilGrad said:

Just figured you were overcome with excitement about the African Cup of Nations kicking off next week.  

We'll be rooting for Togo at my house, since DC#2 lived there last summer.  
  • HighStreetBluesHighStreetBlues Off-Campus Slummer
    DevilGrad said:

DevilGrad said:

The AFCoN took 3 guys from a Sunderland team that has another 8 guys that have started matches this year out with injury. I'm just waiting to hear a report about how they all injured each other in some weird 3 team match.
    My soccer fandom has basically turned into being a required front row attendee at Miami basketball games, but the season last 9 months.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum

I never have said I'm all knowing. I made a factual error that was compounded by confirmation bias. Happens to the best of us.

Coming from the guy who said that there were "dozens" of Christian Pulisics in Croatia.
    Quinoaburger
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Senior Barfly
    This is my favorite soccer thread of all time.
    DSnyder15Koheen

DevilGrad said:

DevilGrad said:

The AFCoN took 3 guys from a Sunderland team that has another 8 guys that have started matches this year out with injury. I'm just waiting to hear a report about how they all injured each other in some weird 3 team match.
    My soccer fandom has basically turned into being a required front row attendee at Miami basketball games, but the season last 9 months.
    I'm watching Norwich putz its way through the Championship.  They're five points out of the playoff right now.

Coming from the guy who said that there were "dozens" of Christian Pulisics in Croatia.
    I've yet to see anyone dispute that statement, hyperbolic as it was.  Frankly, it speaks volumes about the USA team that perhaps the best prospect they've had in the last decade, a second-generation American, was trying to get Croatian citizenship so he could play in the developmental squad of Croatia rather than the first team of USA.  Yes, I am aware that he was also trying to ease the ridiculous rules regarding work permits in the EU, but still, he was willing to give up the national team of the country he was born and raised in to adopt the national team of his grandfather. I'm glad he didn't but think about that sequence of events for a minute or two.

I believe that he would now be a "first-off-the-bench" type midfielder for Croatia.  He is a very good young player.  But I can name at least 7 Croatian midfielders off the top of my head I'd take in a starting lineup ahead of him right now.  When I made the statement you are referring to, there were at least 20 players (at all positions) in the Croatian developmental program that were similar to his profile AT THAT TIME.  It is to his credit that he has grown so much over the last 12 months.  It is also indicative of what playing in a top league against top competition, with top training at his own club, does to improve a player. 

Given that I've found out recently that we're blood related, as well, it certainly is not the case that I think ill of him or his future.  I totally wish him the best in all endeavors. 
    DSnyder15
  • MiamiMACMiamiMAC Dodds God

DevilGrad said:

DevilGrad said:

Liverpool is losing Mane to AFCON and Sturridge, Coutinho and Matip are out with injuries this weekend. Going to be an intersting weekend.

• mollauttmollautt Senior Barfly
    yanksalex said:

I'd generally assume a post like this is trolling but you're a moron, so maybe not.

SMH, Derek.
    =>Little too harsh Alex.

• QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    edited January 6

Frankly, it speaks volumes about the USA team that perhaps the best prospect they've had in the last decade, a second-generation American, was trying to get Croatian citizenship so he could play in the developmental squad of Croatia rather than the first team of USA.  Yes, I am aware that he was also trying to ease the ridiculous rules regarding work permits in the EU, but still, he was willing to give up the national team of the country he was born and raised in to adopt the national team of his grandfather. I'm glad he didn't but think about that sequence of events for a minute or two.
    That's complete bullshit and you know it. He's a third generation American who goes by "Pulisick". He played for the US at every youth level. He never played for Croatia, never asked to play for Croatia, and would tell anybody who would listen that he didn't want to play for Croatia. Literally the only reason he even bothered to get Croatian citizenship was so that he could go to Dortmund at 16 instead of 18. If you don't believe me, here's a Croatian source saying the exact same thing:

http://slobodnadalmacija.hr/sport/domaci-nogomet/clanak/id/307420/pulisic-nikada-nece-postati-pulisic

There was never any chance of him playing for Croatia. The only reason it was even an issue was because the US media made it into an issue. We've been burned by players like Rossi and Subotic in the past, so our soccer media gets jumpy any time an uncapped player has dual-citizenship.

I've yet to see anyone dispute that statement, hyperbolic as it was.

I believe that he would now be a "first-off-the-bench" type midfielder for Croatia.  He is a very good young player.  But I can name at least 7 Croatian midfielders off the top of my head I'd take in a starting lineup ahead of him right now.  When I made the statement you are referring to, there were at least 20 players (at all positions) in the Croatian developmental program that were similar to his profile AT THAT TIME.
    http://test.miamihawktalk.com/talk/discussion/comment/22125/#Comment_22125

Name me 20 Croatian prospects who would get regular playing time at a top 10 team in the world at just 17 years old. I'll wait. Halilovic, supposedly the crown jewel Croatian prospect and hyped as the next Barcelona stud, is at 20 years old having a really hard time with relegation-battling club Hamburg. Incidentally, Bobby Wood (another guy you like to talk smack about) is averaging 0.57 goals per 90 with the exact same club.

Right now there are 12 Croatian players playing for clubs remotely comparable to Dortmund. Only 5 (Perisic, Lovren, Mandzukic, Kovacic, Rakitic) have made as many appearances as Pulisic this season. Modric is one game short because of rotation, but the other 6 aren't even close. And those are grown men; Pulisic just turned 18 a couple months ago.

It gets so tiring to hear you constantly talk shit about American players and American soccer while at the same time writing masturbatory comments about how good Croatia is, even though Croatia has been demonstrably worse than the US over the past decade and a half.
    AORedHawk33DSnyder15yanksalex
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    So wait... does this mean that water isn't wet?
    dave67QuinoaburgerAORedHawk33HighStreetBluesDSnyder15Colonel_Panic
    Wow, that escalated quickly. 

Somebody has Serbian ancestry, apparently. 

Hey, Quinoa, if you're so fucking tired of my comments, masturbatory or otherwise, why don't you restrain yourself from clicking on my threads?  Try that for a while, chief, and see if your blood pressure doesn't drop into a normal range again, yes?
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    Trump....you see things through a prism of your making.  You see what you expect to see.  You need to review your actions...a simple apology would have been helpful and good but you had to justify your mistake.  SMH
  • profholt82profholt82 Senior Barfly
    "Why is the sky blue? Why is water wet? Why did Judas rat to the Romans while Jesus slept?"
    ~ Ghostface Killah
    I did apologize.  After I had been called a "moron," I might add. 

Other people decided it would be lots of fun to pile on afterwards. 
    Moreover, I said that my mistake in this matter was compounded by my own confirmation bias.  So, not only did I apologize for the initial error, I admitted against interest that I have a blind spot in this matter. 

Again, others decided to pile on afterwards.

• QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum

Wow, that escalated quickly. 

Somebody has Serbian ancestry, apparently. 

Hey, Quinoa, if you're so fucking tired of my comments, masturbatory or otherwise, why don't you restrain yourself from clicking on my threads?  Try that for a while, chief, and see if your blood pressure doesn't drop into a normal range again, yes?

Czech ancestry, actually. I mean, I stayed out of this until you doubled down with a 3 paragraph anti American soccer rant full of blatantly and intentionally false information. This was after you started a thread specifically to launch a baseless attack against American soccer. Then after you got called out for it, you posted a mea culpa where you basically argued, "My facts were wrong, but that doesn't matter because I'm right about US soccer and you're wrong." Then you posted the rant which I responded to. I'm not quite sure how I'm the escalator here?
    AORedHawk33
    What I said was there are 7 Croatian midfielders "I would take as starters" ahead of Pulisic.  That's called an "opinion."  Throwing out appearance stats is useful but not the only criteria.  Far from the only criteria.  There isn't a manager with a brain in his head who wouldn't take Luka Modric ahead of Pulisic any day of the week, despite the appearance stat you cited, Quinoa.  That's not a slam on Pulisic, BTW.  Same thing with Ivan Rakitic or Ivan Perisic.  Are you serious with this number of appearances thing? 

Incidentally, I don't recall ever "talking smack" about Bobby Wood.  Ever.  Let alone doing it so much that I "like doing it." 

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with this non-official international run. Cacic is running out a Croatia team against Chile on the 11th that is composed almost entirely of guys who play in the Croatian league.  Only three guys in this side have ever even been capped.  USA are bringing in entirely domestic league guys, too, to prepare for Serbia on the 29th.  The difference is that 25 of the 32 USA players have caps, and 9 have WC experience.  We'll see who has the better performance in their friendly.

Incidentally, Chile are world #4.  Serbia are #44.