Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Cooper

Cooper needs fired now
redhawk11

Comments

• Redhawks16Redhawks16 Senior Barfly
    Last time you called for firings we went on a historic winning streak. Buying my tournament tickets now!!
    AORedHawk33redhawk11Re6H5wkthechuck_2112The_Sackman
  • mollauttmollautt Senior Barfly
    greggie76 said:

Cooper needs fired now

=> not sure how that would help anything right now.

• redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    mollautt said:

greggie76 said:

Cooper needs fired now

I'd like to see AORedhawk in charge! Or MZ! Or DICK! Or Greggie! It would definitely be more watchable.

• QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

mollautt said:

greggie76 said:

Cooper needs fired now

I'd like to see AORedhawk in charge! Or MZ! Or DICK! Or Greggie! It would definitely be more watchable.

If we aren't going to be good, we might as well be entertaining.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    mollautt said:

greggie76 said:

Cooper needs fired now

Exactly. Firing him and installing an interim would not change the outlook of this season. His contract is up at the end of the season anyway. Might as well suck it up and save some money on the buy-out. If we were going to fire him, last year would have been the time.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    You could make a very compelling argument that at the end of the year Cooper and Wright should both be fired and a complete restart on Miami basketball should take place.
    DSnyder15skin66dave67
  • ChiefPanicChiefPanic Havighurstite
    Bluesman said:

You could make a very compelling argument that at the end of the year Cooper and Wright should both be fired and a complete restart on Miami basketball should take place.

Does that include a new stadium?
    dave67
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Off-Campus Slummer
    I stopped following the Team as long as he is the coach. 
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    edited January 11
    My level of complacency has reached levels I legitimately did not know were possible.

Even before the days of ESPN3 broadcasting most MAC games, there were seasons in recent years where did I hardly missed a minute of games being streamed online and, for the rest, would sit on my couch and intently listen to Bake. We're talking maybe 3 years ago.  I went to NC State for the the first game of Cooper's tenure.  Went to Cancun two years ago for the Northwestern and Va Tech games.  Drove 5 hours each way through an ice storm to UMass in Jan, 2014 by myself.

Fast forward. I didn't watch a second of last night's game and still have yet to look at the box score.  I watched the Toledo game for about 5 minutes in the aggregate.  I like to call myself a big Miami basketball fan, but the magnetic attraction to the team I've had since I was a student has been largely, if not completely, eviscerated the last 2 years.

I am pretty sure I'm not alone.  Has hoopsjunkie, our most visible fan at Millett for years, been to a game this season?  Or last?  Does anyone really sit down and watch games with any kind of intent, even though access to them on ESPN3 couldn't be simpler?  I'd be surprised if many do.  Certainly, fewer and fewer people are going to Millett. 
    AORedHawk33Hawks24dave67Love_and_Honoraba222Koheen
  • hoosierhawkhoosierhawk Off-Campus Slummer
    I've gone several of the last few games (including last night) without even checking the score until after the game.  That would be pretty unthinkable to me even a couple years ago.  I've been Alex's traveling partner on many of the trips he described above.  We've been everywhere from Spokane, Oregon to Cancun, Mexico and pretty much anywhere in between to watch Miami hoops.  And now I don't even check the half time score.

I really wasn't sure that things could get worse from the last year of the Coles tenure as far as fan interest and support, but those are basically glory days compared to where we are at now.  This is going to be a real tough rebuild.  I actually think we might have some potential on the roster if they choose to stay, but its going to be a hard slog to get the fans to care again.  

I don't know if there is much value in firing Cooper now as candidates won't be free for another couple months, but I pray that Sayler already has a road map in place for where we go from here.
    edited January 11

Let Cooper play this year out. Hopefully Sayler has the succession plan well developed. Hopefully my choice is on the list, if not at the top of it. My choice for Miami's next HC is someone who knows Miami, knows the pros and cons of recruiting to Miami in its current facilities, knows the Midwest, has recruiting connections in Ohio and other Midwest states we should be recruiting from, is young, energetic, has a ton of experience at both the MAC level but also B10 and Big East. Someone I trust to turn this shitstorm around.  Here is his link:

http://butlersports.com/coaches.aspx?path=mbball&rc=612

mpurdy22AORedHawk33mrgredhawkTruckCrewmissmiamidave67redhawk11D_DayLove_and_Honor
  • muohiobkmuohiobk Havighurstite
    yanksalex said:

My level of complacency has reached levels I legitimately did not know were possible.

Even before the days of ESPN3 broadcasting most MAC games, there were seasons in recent years where did I hardly missed a minute of games being streamed online and, for the rest, would sit on my couch and intently listen to Bake. We're talking maybe 3 years ago.  I went to NC State for the the first game of Cooper's tenure.  Went to Cancun two years ago for the Northwestern and Va Tech games.  Drove 5 hours each way through an ice storm to UMass in Jan, 2014 by myself.

Fast forward. I didn't watch a second of last night's game and still have yet to look at the box score.  I watched the Toledo game for about 5 minutes in the aggregate.  I like to call myself a big Miami basketball fan, but the magnetic attraction to the team I've had since I was a student has been largely, if not completely, eviscerated the last 2 years.

I am pretty sure I'm not alone.  Has hoopsjunkie, our most visible fan at Millett for years, been to a game this season?  Or last?  Does anyone really sit down and watch games with any kind of intent, even though access to them on ESPN3 couldn't be simpler?  I'd be surprised if many do.  Certainly, fewer and fewer people are going to Millett. 
    I echo everything said above by Alex. I used to listen to-watch every game, but the last 2 years have been so bad I some nights I do not even realize we are playing until I see the box score just to see how many we have lost by. 

Legit question on the Ryan Pedon link below. I would love to see him at Miami but do we think he would leave Bulter to come? Or wait on a "better" opening. I would like to say he would, but the fact that I even ask that question shows how far Miami bball has fallen in my eyes
    Guess we won't know if we don't pursue Pedon. Miami can be a great stepping stone if the program is run competently. See Thad Matta, Herb Sendek, Miller, etc. This program has more MAC wins than any other program. And that is even after the crap we have seen the last 5 years. This program used to be one to envy. Now we have Miami fans talking about us like we are Prairie View. It's time to make Miami great again! B)
    edited January 11
    muohiobk said:

yanksalex said:

I echo everything said above by Alex. I used to listen to-watch every game, but the last 2 years have been so bad I some nights I do not even realize we are playing until I see the box score just to see how many we have lost by. 

Legit question on the Ryan Pedon link below. I would love to see him at Miami but do we think he would leave Bulter to come? Or wait on a "better" opening. I would like to say he would, but the fact that I even ask that question shows how far Miami bball has fallen in my eyes
    He's had many coaching gigs, but none as a HC. I can't imagine he would turn it down if offered. Long-time assistants don't often get "big boy" head coaching jobs as their first HC job. Plus, he has ties to MU. I could see him at Miami for 4-5 years, then if successful, going to a larger school.
  • mrgredhawkmrgredhawk Senior Barfly
    Bluesman said:

This program has more MAC wins than any other program. And that is even after the crap we have seen the last 5 years. This program used to be one to envy. Now we have Miami fans talking about us like we are Prairie View. It's time to make Miami great again! B)

This crap started more than 5 years ago...A serious investment needs to be made into the program.. first an investment into a head coach with a salary at the top of the conference followed by the arena plan.
    Re6H5wk

Bluesman said:

This program has more MAC wins than any other program. And that is even after the crap we have seen the last 5 years. This program used to be one to envy. Now we have Miami fans talking about us like we are Prairie View. It's time to make Miami great again! B)

This crap started more than 5 years ago...A serious investment needs to be made into the program.. first an investment into a head coach with a salary at the top of the conference followed by the arena plan.
    I was just at BSU's Worthen Arena last night. It's not my favorite of those I've been to, but it's pretty nice. I'd kill for an arena like it.

Bluesman said:

I don't agree with the arena plan and I know Sayler is working on that. If you have a few spare millions sitting around we can speed up the process!!
    ;D
    Re6H5wkdave67
  • RedseaRedsea Off-Campus Slummer
    I dont think you fire Cooper until March 11th or whatever. Try to get the Weathers guys as many relationships to Miami as possible before dropping their coach. Do you realize how bad we would be without those two? They both might make the all freshman team and we still are going to finish last. We might go a half without hitting the rim without them
    AORedHawk33Re6H5wkD_Day
  • D_DayD_Day Off-Campus Slummer
    Bluesman said:

Let Cooper play this year out. Hopefully Sayler has the succession plan well developed. Hopefully my choice is on the list, if not at the top of it. My choice for Miami's next HC is someone who knows Miami, knows the pros and cons of recruiting to Miami in its current facilities, knows the Midwest, has recruiting connections in Ohio and other Midwest states we should be recruiting from, is young, energetic, has a ton of experience at both the MAC level but also B10 and Big East. Someone I trust to turn this shitstorm around.  Here is his link:

http://butlersports.com/coaches.aspx?path=mbball&rc=612

I agree with this, but I would be equally happy with Jermaine; and Jermaine may be able to get Devin Davis as an assistant for the power positions.  Devin has expressed that he would like to get into coaching specifically at the pro level, but if Jermaine offered him an assistant position at Miami, I bet Devin would jump at the chance.  Also, I could see Grunk returning to Oxford.
    AORedHawk33
    Could Martin pull double-duty?
  • RenmancoRenmanco Off-Campus Slummer

Pedon would appear ready but only if he can weather what he will be facing (another CM total rebuild with facilities still at least six years away).

Anyone know his Butler salary, what it would take to get him to Miami and what sort of assistant pool would also be required as well as a recruiting budget? The total "upcharge" over the Cooper regime might well be $300-500 K. 

• El13El13 Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

Yes I do!

• MazMaz Havighurstite
    Renmanco said:

Pedon would appear ready but only if he can weather what he will be facing (another CM total rebuild with facilities still at least six years away).

Anyone know his Butler salary, what it would take to get him to Miami and what sort of assistant pool would also be required as well as a recruiting budget? The total "upcharge" over the Cooper regime might well be $300-500 K. 

A total rebuild in basketball is much, much easier than it is for football. All it takes is one or two exceptional recruits to add to some useful pieces. FB requires a whole lot more to go right and usually involves greater need to physical development of current players that might not be realistic.
    redhawk11DSnyder15
    Maz said:

Renmanco said:

A total rebuild in basketball is much, much easier than it is for football. All it takes is one or two exceptional recruits to add to some useful pieces. FB requires a whole lot more to go right and usually involves greater need to physical development of current players that might not be realistic.
    Plus, assuming the Weathers brothers stick around, that not a bad start.
    DSnyder15
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Senior Barfly

Bluesman said:

We've had resource and structural issues with basketball for at least ten years, maybe fifteen.  Charlie was able to paper them over for awhile because he was a master at making do with what he had.  The flip side of that was that he was never noisy enough about asking for more.  
    redhawk11AORedHawk33
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    edited January 11
    DevilGrad said:

Bluesman said:

We've had resource and structural issues with basketball for at least ten years, maybe fifteen.  Charlie was able to paper them over for awhile because he was a master at making do with what he had.  The flip side of that was that he was never noisy enough about asking for more.  
    In 2010-11, we played Duke, San Diego State, Ohio State, and Kansas, all of whom were top-six teams in the AP going into the tournament. Charlie still managed a 19-17 overall record and an 11-5 MAC record, plus a third-tier postseason berth.  Meanwhile, we give Cooper two Division III teams OOC and still end up with 13 wins overall and in the conference cellar. It can't be overstated how much Charlie (and his assistants) covered up through sheer force of will.
    redhawk11AORedHawk33DevilGradTopDollarScholaryanksalexmpurdy22KoheenCMHskins

DevilGrad said:

Bluesman said:

In 2010-11, we played Duke, San Diego State, Ohio State, and Kansas, all of whom were top-six teams in the AP going into the tournament. Charlie still managed a 19-17 overall record and an 11-5 MAC record, plus a third-tier postseason berth.  Meanwhile, we give Cooper two Division III teams OOC and still end up with 13 wins overall and in the conference cellar. It can't be overstated how much Charlie (and his assistants) covered up through sheer force of will.
    Miami actually finished 16-17 that year. Still, much better than what Cooper has done.

• HighStreetBluesHighStreetBlues Off-Campus Slummer
    This is a depressing thread and I still think it's too optimistic. David Sayler is the most prolific fundraiser in the history of our entire conference. Despite that, he has scrapped multiple Millett/basketball upgrades in his tenure while also publicly stating that the sport is much harder to entice donors with than an (at the time) equally bad football outfit. This isn't short term. Pedon or Jermaine or Wally or John freakin Wooden isn't going to improve our facilities or change the atmosphere at games and until we do that, we're never going to put together the necessary recruits to be above MAC average.
    AORedHawk33fcsofen
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    edited January 11
    I think a coach with the right charisma could do it. Someone with charisma like PJ Fleck. I could see Jermaine or Pedon being able to do it, but I'm not sure about Grunk.
    Obviously, you have to be able to get the players to win games, but as long as the team isn't horrific, you could increase attendance.
    I think student attendance is where you start. The people who pay for tickets are important, there is no doubt. But if we have games attended by the "blue hairs" it won't generate any excitement. If you find a way to get the students to come, then that excitement and atmosphere will lead to more ticket buyers. Games are simply more fun with a bunch of students in attendance.
    How do you get the students to come?
    I think you really have to dedicate yourself to it. If I was the HC at Miami, I would eat lunch in a different dining hall every day. On many evenings, I would set up a table in the lobby of a different residence hall and just hang out. During lunch and in the lobbies, I would just talk to kids. Any kid wearing any kind of sports apparel would be a target. I wouldn't talk about Miami sports. I would talk about the Cavs if I saw someone wearing a Lebron jersey. I would talk about the Cubs if I saw someone wearing a hat. I would talk about the Patriots if I saw someone wearing some Pats gear. Just talk about the sports you know interests each person. Don't come off as a salesman like so many coaches do. Be authentic. Become friends with the student body and don't ask for anything back. Over time, they will grow to like you and they will become a little more curious about what you're doing in Millett Hall.
    I know some coaches used to go door to door in the dorms and ask each student to come out to the next game. That stuff is great when there is some interest but not much. Currently, there is zero interest in our basketball program. A new coach could slowly get some back by just letting the student body get to know them without asking for anything in return.
    Many times, coaches will talk to students for a minute then encourage the student to come out to the game. The student walks away knowing the only reason the coach talked to them was to get them to a game. That's like me befriending someone, then telling them what I want them to get me for my birthday. That person isn't going to want to be friends with me. They quickly realize I had an ulterior motive. But, if I don't bring up my birthday, and I continue to be nice to the person, they might get me a nice gift without me having to ask for it!
    As you can see, the general strategy to increase attendance is the same strategy I use to maximize the amount of gifts I receive on my birthday.

I just realized this thing is way too long and no one is going to read it. Oh well.
    AORedHawk33Re6H5wkLove_and_HonorDICKmuhawk
  • RedseaRedsea Off-Campus Slummer
    the problem with getting students to come is when. We have a 6 week break in the heart of basketball season with the J term. So late January to the first week in March with some decent conference games. But November is generally D3 or iupu something. Then exams. Then Holidays. Then J Term