Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Cooper

Comments

• Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

I think a coach with the right charisma could do it. Someone with charisma like PJ Fleck. I could see Jermaine or Pedon being able to do it, but I'm not sure about Grunk.
    Obviously, you have to be able to get the players to win games, but as long as the team isn't horrific, you could increase attendance.
    I think student attendance is where you start. The people who pay for tickets are important, there is no doubt. But if we have games attended by the "blue hairs" it won't generate any excitement. If you find a way to get the students to come, then that excitement and atmosphere will lead to more ticket buyers. Games are simply more fun with a bunch of students in attendance.
    How do you get the students to come?
    I think you really have to dedicate yourself to it. If I was the HC at Miami, I would eat lunch in a different dining hall every day. On many evenings, I would set up a table in the lobby of a different residence hall and just hang out. During lunch and in the lobbies, I would just talk to kids. Any kid wearing any kind of sports apparel would be a target. I wouldn't talk about Miami sports. I would talk about the Cavs if I saw someone wearing a Lebron jersey. I would talk about the Cubs if I saw someone wearing a hat. I would talk about the Patriots if I saw someone wearing some Pats gear. Just talk about the sports you know interests each person. Don't come off as a salesman like so many coaches do. Be authentic. Become friends with the student body and don't ask for anything back. Over time, they will grow to like you and they will become a little more curious about what you're doing in Millett Hall.
    I know some coaches used to go door to door in the dorms and ask each student to come out to the next game. That stuff is great when there is some interest but not much. Currently, there is zero interest in our basketball program. A new coach could slowly get some back by just letting the student body get to know them without asking for anything in return.
    Many times, coaches will talk to students for a minute then encourage the student to come out to the game. The student walks away knowing the only reason the coach talked to them was to get them to a game. That's like me befriending someone, then telling them what I want them to get me for my birthday. That person isn't going to want to be friends with me. They quickly realize I had an ulterior motive. But, if I don't bring up my birthday, and I continue to be nice to the person, they might get me a nice gift without me having to ask for it!
    As you can see, the general strategy to increase attendance is the same strategy I use to maximize the amount of gifts I receive on my birthday.

I just realized this thing is way too long and no one is going to read it. Oh well.

It was long. I read it. And for the most part I agree.
    redhawk11MUHawk84
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Redsea said:

the problem with getting students to come is when. We have a 6 week break in the heart of basketball season with the J term. So late January to the first week in March with some decent conference games. But November is generally D3 or iupu something. Then exams. Then Holidays. Then J Term

You're right, you're right

• MUHawk84MUHawk84 Senior Barfly
    We could have John Wooden coach but with the lack of facilities, funding and interest from alumni, administrators and fans, he'd probably rather coach Talawanda
    skin66
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    D_Day said:

Bluesman said:

Let Cooper play this year out. Hopefully Sayler has the succession plan well developed. Hopefully my choice is on the list, if not at the top of it. My choice for Miami's next HC is someone who knows Miami, knows the pros and cons of recruiting to Miami in its current facilities, knows the Midwest, has recruiting connections in Ohio and other Midwest states we should be recruiting from, is young, energetic, has a ton of experience at both the MAC level but also B10 and Big East. Someone I trust to turn this shitstorm around.  Here is his link:

http://butlersports.com/coaches.aspx?path=mbball&rc=612

I agree with this, but I would be equally happy with Jermaine; and Jermaine may be able to get Devin Davis as an assistant for the power positions.  Devin has expressed that he would like to get into coaching specifically at the pro level, but if Jermaine offered him an assistant position at Miami, I bet Devin would jump at the chance.  Also, I could see Grunk returning to Oxford.
    I am fine with Jermaine too, but honestly I think Pedon brings a little bit more to the table now with his experience at Toledo, Illinois and now Butler. I would love to have them as co head coaches!!
    Re6H5wk

DevilGrad said:

Bluesman said:

This program has more MAC wins than any other program. And that is even after the crap we have seen the last 5 years. This program used to be one to envy. Now we have Miami fans talking about us like we are Prairie View. It's time to make Miami great again! B)

This crap started more than 5 years ago...A serious investment needs to be made into the program.. first an investment into a head coach with a salary at the top of the conference followed by the arena plan.

We've had resource and structural issues with basketball for at least ten years, maybe fifteen.  Charlie was able to paper them over for awhile because he was a master at making do with what he had.  The flip side of that was that he was never noisy enough about asking for more.  
    In 2010-11, we played Duke, San Diego State, Ohio State, and Kansas, all of whom were top-six teams in the AP going into the tournament. Charlie still managed a 19-17 overall record and an 11-5 MAC record, plus a third-tier postseason berth.  Meanwhile, we give Cooper two Division III teams OOC and still end up with 13 wins overall and in the conference cellar. It can't be overstated how much Charlie (and his assistants) covered up through sheer force of will.
    Not force of will. Great coaching.
    AORedHawk33

This is a depressing thread and I still think it's too optimistic. David Sayler is the most prolific fundraiser in the history of our entire conference. Despite that, he has scrapped multiple Millett/basketball upgrades in his tenure while also publicly stating that the sport is much harder to entice donors with than an (at the time) equally bad football outfit. This isn't short term. Pedon or Jermaine or Wally or John freakin Wooden isn't going to improve our facilities or change the atmosphere at games and until we do that, we're never going to put together the necessary recruits to be above MAC average.

Honestly HSB, with where we are now, MAC average would be a huge step up!! How sad is that?
  • hawkattack06hawkattack06 Havighurstite
    redhawk11 said:

I think a coach with the right charisma could do it. Someone with charisma like PJ Fleck. I could see Jermaine or Pedon being able to do it, but I'm not sure about Grunk.
    Obviously, you have to be able to get the players to win games, but as long as the team isn't horrific, you could increase attendance.
    I think student attendance is where you start. The people who pay for tickets are important, there is no doubt. But if we have games attended by the "blue hairs" it won't generate any excitement. If you find a way to get the students to come, then that excitement and atmosphere will lead to more ticket buyers. Games are simply more fun with a bunch of students in attendance.
    I think you really have to dedicate yourself to it. If I was the HC at Miami, I would eat lunch in a different dining hall every day. On many evenings, I would set up a table in the lobby of a different residence hall and just hang out. During lunch and in the lobbies, I would just talk to kids. Any kid wearing any kind of sports apparel would be a target. I wouldn't talk about Miami sports. I would talk about the Cavs if I saw someone wearing a Lebron jersey. I would talk about the Cubs if I saw someone wearing a hat. I would talk about the Patriots if I saw someone wearing some Pats gear. Just talk about the sports you know interests each person. Don't come off as a salesman like so many coaches do. Be authentic. Become friends with the student body and don't ask for anything back. Over time, they will grow to like you and they will become a little more curious about what you're doing in Millett Hall.
    I know some coaches used to go door to door in the dorms and ask each student to come out to the next game. That stuff is great when there is some interest but not much. Currently, there is zero interest in our basketball program. A new coach could slowly get some back by just letting the student body get to know them without asking for anything in return.
    Many times, coaches will talk to students for a minute then encourage the student to come out to the game. The student walks away knowing the only reason the coach talked to them was to get them to a game. That's like me befriending someone, then telling them what I want them to get me for my birthday. That person isn't going to want to be friends with me. They quickly realize I had an ulterior motive. But, if I don't bring up my birthday, and I continue to be nice to the person, they might get me a nice gift without me having to ask for it!
    As you can see, the general strategy to increase attendance is the same strategy I use to maximize the amount of gifts I receive on my birthday.

I just realized this thing is way too long and no one is going to read it. Oh well.

This post makes Miami students sound entitled. The sentiment I got from your post is students be like "Come hang out with us all the time and maybe we'll come to your silly basketball game."

While engaging the student body is important and should certainly be something assistant coaches and managers should focus on, I'd rather our head coach spend the majority of his time coaching and not have to constantly pander to the student body for little benefit. If we hire a winner, the students will slowly come back.
    Actually with the right staff, meaning not the coaches and HC, a program can actively and creatively engage the student body. I would use the women's basketball team as an example. I just wish that would translate to better play on the court!!
  • aba222aba222 Dodds God
    D_Day said:

Bluesman said:

Let Cooper play this year out. Hopefully Sayler has the succession plan well developed. Hopefully my choice is on the list, if not at the top of it. My choice for Miami's next HC is someone who knows Miami, knows the pros and cons of recruiting to Miami in its current facilities, knows the Midwest, has recruiting connections in Ohio and other Midwest states we should be recruiting from, is young, energetic, has a ton of experience at both the MAC level but also B10 and Big East. Someone I trust to turn this shitstorm around.  Here is his link:

http://butlersports.com/coaches.aspx?path=mbball&rc=612

...but I would be equally happy with Jermaine
    I would not.  Henderson has never been a full time head coach or even an assistant coach at a successful program post Miami.  Bounced from Missouri State after underwhelming records (btw...Missouri State is now 12-6) to under-performing Cleveland State:
    2012 - 2013 (MSU):  11-22
    2013-2014 (MSU):  20-13
    2014-2015 (MSU):  11-20
    2015-2016 (CSU):  9-23
    2016-present (CSU): 5-11
    I would think Sayler already has a list of candidates that does not include Henderson.
    Quinoaburger
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    edited January 12
    redhawk11 said:

We don't want Patriots fans. And I'm not getting you anything for your birthday.
    Quinoaburgerredhawk11
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum

This post makes Miami students sound entitled

And?

redhawk11 said:

And?

I was going to say... I mean, if the shoe fits. They are what they are, and if pandering is what it takes, so be it.
  • bpatbpat Senior Barfly
    Bluesman said:

Actually with the right staff, meaning not the coaches and HC, a program can actively and creatively engage the student body. I would use the women's basketball team as an example. I just wish that would translate to better play on the court!!

Exactly. That's really the only place they're lacking. Unfortunately, it's kind of important.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    edited January 12
    I still cannot believe we played that terrible non-conference schedule.

We haven'f finished paying for the Gunlock, we need a new coaching staff next year, there are plans for a new arena, we are trying to pay a new strength and conditioning coach ...  WHY NOT GO ON THE ROAD AND MAKE SOME MONEY TO HELP PAY FOR SOME OF THESE THINGS?!?!  

What did those two D3 games do for us?
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly

We still owe money on the Gunlock, we need a new coaching staff next year, there are plans for a new arena, we are trying to pay a new strength and conditioning coach ...  WHY NOT GO ON THE ROAD AND MAKE SOME MONEY TO HELP PAY FOR SOME OF THESE THINGS?!?!  

I've been told by people there that if we pay no-name teams and win people will think we're good and stat showing up to games.....never seen it happen yet. 

Iam4hawks said:

We still owe money on the Gunlock, we need a new coaching staff next year, there are plans for a new arena, we are trying to pay a new strength and conditioning coach ...  WHY NOT GO ON THE ROAD AND MAKE SOME MONEY TO HELP PAY FOR SOME OF THESE THINGS?!?!  

I've been told by people there that if we pay no-name teams and win people will think we're good and stat showing up to games.....never seen it happen yet. 

Coming into our game with them, Ball St. was 9-6. It's a good record, but like Miami, they had played a crappy schedule. Did fans show up to see a team with a good record? Well, they had more than we get at Millett, but Worthen was still at less than 30% of capacity. Fans aren't dumb. They know when a team looks good on paper and when a team actually is good.
  • muohiobkmuohiobk Havighurstite
    edited January 12

We haven'f finished paying for the Gunlock, we need a new coaching staff next year, there are plans for a new arena, we are trying to pay a new strength and conditioning coach ...  WHY NOT GO ON THE ROAD AND MAKE SOME MONEY TO HELP PAY FOR SOME OF THESE THINGS?!?!  

BRING BACK THE DEATH MARCH!!! 
    (cue the moll response that playing crappy teams is good for Miami :))
    Iam4hawks

Let Cooper talk about his "winning OOC record"!!
    ;D
    muohiobk
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Senior Barfly
    I guess that could be a good talking point in a job interview.
  • hawkattack06hawkattack06 Havighurstite
    redhawk11 said:

And?

Touché. Well I'm not going to dispute that many of them are obviously entitled. But that wasn't the point of my post.

I was trying to say that the head coach has better things to do than to pander to students for little benefit. Send out the student managers and players to recruit their fellow students to attend games.
    redhawk11
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

redhawk11 said:

And?

Touché. Well I'm not going to dispute that many of them are obviously entitled. But that wasn't the point of my post.

I was trying to say that the head coach has better things to do than to pander to students for little benefit. Send out the student managers and players to recruit their fellow students to attend games.
    Bobby Hurley very actively went out and "recruited" the student body at Buffalo and they had great student support and it probably helped them win the last two MAC tournament championships.
    Since my dream of having Sean McVay replace Chuck after an undefeated season next year went up in smoke...

How about Thad Matta (who will be looking for work this Spring...book it) coming back to Oxford to replace Cooper? It will never happen, I get that, but shut up. I'm more than happy to trade Braxton Meth-erly for Matta.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum

Since my dream of having Sean McVay replace Chuck after an undefeated season next year went up in smoke...

How about Thad Matta (who will be looking for work this Spring...book it) coming back to Oxford to replace Cooper? It will never happen, I get that, but shut up. I'm more than happy to trade Braxton Meth-erly for Matta.
    Whoa! I had the same thought last night.

Miami Basketball Mattas!
    The_Sackman
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Iam4hawks said:

With an above average MAC team, we could have gone 12-1 or 11-2 against the schedule we had. A record like that would get people's attention and bring people out to Millett. The issue has been the quality of our team, not necessarily the strategy. Of course with that being said, if we aren't going to win, then we might as well get paid for it.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

Miami Basketball Mattas!
    What I have heard about Matta is that his back is so bad that he often conducts practices while rolling around on an office chair on wheels.  I also read that he has been promised an administration position at OSU... I think he has reached the point where his health is preventing him from hitting the recruiting trail and being as energetic in practice as he used to be, so maybe his coaching years will be coming to an end.  Or maybe he can take a year off and perhaps have an operation to fix the issues.
    DICK said:

Miami Basketball Mattas!
    What I have heard about Matta is that his back is so bad that he often conducts practices while rolling around on an office chair on wheels.  I also read that he has been promised an administration position at OSU... I think he has reached the point where his health is preventing him from hitting the recruiting trail and being as energetic in practice as he used to be, so maybe his coaching years will be coming to an end.  Or maybe he can take a year off and perhaps have an operation to fix the issues.
    What you've heard and what you say is true and makes sense. He looks like shit these days.
    I don't want some old man in a wheelchair as a coach!! We need young and energetic!
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

I don't want some old man in a wheelchair as a coach!! We need young and energetic!

The sad thing is that he is not an old man.
    Bluesman said:

What about Ron Hunter and his scooter!
    Re6H5wk
  • El13El13 Wealthy Alum

DevilGrad said:

Bluesman said:

This program has more MAC wins than any other program. And that is even after the crap we have seen the last 5 years. This program used to be one to envy. Now we have Miami fans talking about us like we are Prairie View. It's time to make Miami great again! B)

This crap started more than 5 years ago...A serious investment needs to be made into the program.. first an investment into a head coach with a salary at the top of the conference followed by the arena plan.

We've had resource and structural issues with basketball for at least ten years, maybe fifteen.  Charlie was able to paper them over for awhile because he was a master at making do with what he had.  The flip side of that was that he was never noisy enough about asking for more.  
    In 2010-11, we played Duke, San Diego State, Ohio State, and Kansas, all of whom were top-six teams in the AP going into the tournament. Charlie still managed a 19-17 overall record and an 11-5 MAC record, plus a third-tier postseason berth.  Meanwhile, we give Cooper two Division III teams OOC and still end up with 13 wins overall and in the conference cellar. It can't be overstated how much Charlie (and his assistants) covered up through sheer force of will.

love CC and that schedule, that was a fun year.