Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Cooper

13»

Comments

• El13El13 Wealthy Alum
    BTW, everybody seems focused on Millett, while I get it's not a great basketball arena, I don't think that is the problem.

We need better recruiting, better coaching, better schedule and some pop and beer with bubbles in that order. With that we can draw some fans, wouldn't hurt to hit Butler county hard and get the locals involved. Students are always going to be fair weather fans.

Millett is fine for our needs right now, when we get back to being good, we can leverage that for a new arena. Quite honestly a school like Miami should always do well in hoops, we have so much to offer,:

1) Great school
    2) Great tradition
    3) surrounded by hoops crazy HS's in Ohio, IN & KY
    4) Awesome local competition UC, X, Dayton, IU, Ky, OSU....

It's not like football, it only takes a stud player or two with some decent D1 caliber players in the side to be a good team. We have it now with the freshmen. Hell when we had Harper, some of his team mates were not great and we kicked ass as long as Harp did 't foul out. Then it was like can we hold a 25 point lead with 4 minutes to go!

We need another Joby or Herb to turn us around then get a CC(type)to make it a long run.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Except none of that local competition wants to play us anymore
  • El13El13 Wealthy Alum

Except none of that local competition wants to play us anymore

Yea, that is BS, but we can fix that.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    How can we fix that? We can't very well force them to schedule us.

Quinoaburger
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
     I just realized "El 13" would actually be a great nickname for Coop considering his three consecutive 13 win campaigns. 
    The_SackmanRe6H5wk
  • El13El13 Wealthy Alum

Well, something we aren't very good at anymore in this country, negotiate and compromise.  I'm sure there are issues preventing these obvious games being played.  One is the value of playing a poorly ranked team, that is in our control to improve our program.  One is financial, does it pay to play in Oxford vs other options?  Maybe we play on the road for a few years to get it going again, I don't like it but its better than playing D3 schools.  As neighboring schools there has to be some level of cooperation within sports and outside of sports that we can utilize to make this happen.

I would believe there has to be a fair way to play UC, Xavier and Dayton, simply has to be a way.
  • El13El13 Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

I just realized "El 13" would actually be a great nickname for Coop considering his three consecutive 13 win campaigns. 

Well, I didn't set out to be a Coop defender, however, I do find the attacks on this site to be too harsh and simply unfair, so maybe he should carry my nickname.  I can live with it as will the coach who doesn't care about the non educated opinions on this site.  Easy to make critical comments when things are not going well.  Coop started in a deep talent hole, we acknowledge his mistakes with the JUCOs and the lack of gaining the new talent we are accustomed to.  I feel he did much better this year and he could have thrown the towel in, knowing he probably doesn't make it after this year.

While he is our coach, I will challenge his decisions in a professional way, but still remain in support of the goal to improve the program.  I wish more people operated in this manner. 
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    El13 said:

Well, something we aren't very good at anymore in this country, negotiate and compromise.  I'm sure there are issues preventing these obvious games being played.  One is the value of playing a poorly ranked team, that is in our control to improve our program.  One is financial, does it pay to play in Oxford vs other options?  Maybe we play on the road for a few years to get it going again, I don't like it but its better than playing D3 schools.  As neighboring schools there has to be some level of cooperation within sports and outside of sports that we can utilize to make this happen.

I would believe there has to be a fair way to play UC, Xavier and Dayton, simply has to be a way.
    We played a couple "buy games" at Xavier, but I think it got to the point that they no longer wanted the hit to their SOS.
  • El13El13 Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

El13 said:

We played a couple "buy games" at Xavier, but I think it got to the point that they no longer wanted the hit to their SOS.

I buy that, which is why we have to get our performance up before we can negotiate on a somewhat equal level, I know its a little bit of a circular argument.  We can schedule better teams than we did this year.  If we were to start winning those games and competing better in the MAC, our SOS would get back to where it needs to be to make these local games happen.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    edited January 15
    El13 said:

yanksalex said:

Well, I didn't set out to be a Coop defender, however, I do find the attacks on this site to be too harsh and simply unfair, so maybe he should carry my nickname.  I can live with it as will the coach who doesn't care about the non educated opinions on this site.  Easy to make critical comments when things are not going well.  Coop started in a deep talent hole, we acknowledge his mistakes with the JUCOs and the lack of gaining the new talent we are accustomed to.  I feel he did much better this year and he could have thrown the towel in, knowing he probably doesn't make it after this year.

While he is our coach, I will challenge his decisions in a professional way, but still remain in support of the goal to improve the program.  I wish more people operated in this manner. 
    Speaking of non educated opinions on this site..

It is easy to make critical comments when things aren't going well. That's why it's been easy for 5 years.

I just want to remind everyone that we are ranked 261 out of 351 D1 teams. That is unacceptable. Quit looking for glimpses of light. I could be covered in raw sewage and stuck down a manhole and still see some light around the manhole cover. That doesn't make my situation any better.

AORedHawk33Quinoaburgermuohiobk
  • El13El13 Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

El13 said:

yanksalex said:

Speaking of non educated opinions on this site..

It is easy to make critical comments when things aren't going well. That's why it's been easy for 5 years.

I just want to remind everyone that we are ranked 261 out of 351 D1 teams. That is unacceptable. Quit looking for glimpses of light. I could be covered in raw sewage and stuck down a manhole and still see some light around the manhole cover. That doesn't make my situation any better.

redhawk11 said:

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill.

• redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Winston Churchill can say what he wants. Success is winning basketball games, competing for conference championships, and getting to postseason tournaments.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Winston Churchill thought Don Treadwell was successful.
    redhawk11yanksalex
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum

Bluesman said:

I don't want some old man in a wheelchair as a coach!! We need young and energetic!

What about Ron Hunter and his scooter!
    He's not old!
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Senior Barfly
    He also isn't poor.  He makes $500,000 per year at Georgia State, and we probably can't afford to bring him home.  
    redhawk11