Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

UConn women's basketball

They won their 90th straight game tonight to match their own NCAA record. They did so by beating the #20 team in the country 102-37 (that's not a typo). To break the record they just need to beat SMU on Saturday. Realistically, they only have one more game on their schedule which is a potential loss. That's a home game against #5 South Carolina in February, which would be their 100th straight win.

Comments

• mollauttmollautt Senior Barfly
    =>Amazing they do not even recruit. They just send a letter to the high school players they want informing them of their dorm assignments.
    dave67DICKredhawk11
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    How do you say: DYNASTY :I
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Best coach, best players and then the fan base followed. If you are the best and feel you are tough enough mentally, why not go to Uconn. Every once in awhile some fine player goes somewhere else even though Gino wants her ( wants to stay or be close to home, doesn't like being criticized, etc) but he now gets mostly who he wants.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum

As someone who follows the womens game, what is amazing is the amount of talent UCONN lost from last year, including 3x player of the year Breanna Stewart. I believe 3 of the top 10 picks in the WNBA draft this year were from UCONN. Geno is an amazing coach with an equally amazing coaching staff.

• Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    *waits for someone to suggest they could beat our men's team*
    MUHawk84redhawk11
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

They could not.
    skin66 said:

Re6H5wk said:

They could not.
    Haha I know, but that won't necessarily stop the seemingly inevitable question.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    They beat SMU today 83-41 to get to 99 straight wins. They play #6 South Carolina on Monday to go for 100.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Off-Campus Slummer
    Re6H5wk said:

skin66 said:

Re6H5wk said:

They could not.
    You mean the girls play with smaller balls.

Re6H5wk said:

skin66 said:

Re6H5wk said:

They could not.

MiamiMAC
    Please don't incorrectly, albeit accidentally, quote me on something like that.
    Love watching UCONN play. They might be my favorite team to watch on how to play the game correctly, mens or women's teams. Geno is a masterful coach and motivator. Jordan Dangerfield last night played a superb game at PG. Gabby Williams flat out outplayed the SC post players even though she was giving up 5 or 6 inches. Just a terrific team to watch. And next year 6'6' transfer from Duke is eligible plus the #1 player in the country in high school. You want to show some kids how to play the game the right way, put in a UCONN tape.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Senior Barfly
    I don't watch a lot of women's hoops, but did watch most of the 2nd half last night (can't pass up an opportunity to see history).

I was impressed at the speed at which both UCONN and South Carolina played. 
    TruckCrew said:

I don't watch a lot of women's hoops, but did watch most of the 2nd half last night (can't pass up an opportunity to see history).

There is a big difference in womens college ball between the upper tier and the rest of the teams, i.e. the Miami's of the world.
  • hoosierhawkhoosierhawk Off-Campus Slummer
    edited February 14
    Obviously a impressive accomplishment, but I often wonder if UConn's dominance has hurt or helped women's hoops.  The lack of competitiveness between #1 and the rest, let alone the top 5-10 and the rest is such a chasm.  It has to have hurt the product. That said, the only real mainstream coverage the sports gets is about their dominance, so maybe it has actually helped.

Regardless, its Geno's job to win, not worry about the state of the sport.
    skin66
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    It just makes the target on their back that much bigger.
    Answer is simple much like Alabama in football-get better if you want the crown.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Easier said than done in women's bball. It's hard to compare this dynasty to anything else in sports. You can't win a race without the horses, and UCONN has thoroughbreds out there. I don't see it changing anytime soon.
    redhawk11
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

TruckCrew said:

There is a big difference in womens college ball between the upper tier and the rest of the teams, i.e. the Miami's of the world.
    Like 30-60 points.  In fact, there has been a 15-20 point difference between the top 8 MAC teams this year and the bottom 4 (Miami included in that group.)
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    FWIW Massey Ratings says that we would be 59 point underdogs against UConn on a neutral court.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Senior Barfly
    Bluesman said:

TruckCrew said:

No doubt. Even with limited viewing it's quite obvious that level of talent doesn't spread much outside the top 10 in the country.