Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Apparently, we are taking commitments from 14 year olds

We are proud to announce that Ben Schoen has committed to attend the University of Miami Ohio.  As a current forward for the Little Caesars 14U (Bantam Major) team, Ben has registered 14 points within 20 games played during the regular season.  Looking ahead into the 2021-22 season, Ben aims to join his fellow RedHawks as they compete within the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) – an affiliated conference within the NCAA Division I.

Ben Schoen

Position:  Center

Commitment:  University of Miami Ohio

Year expected to attend the University: 2021-2022

Major of Study:  Business Marketing

Most memorable hockey moment?  Playing for the Detroit Red Wings in the Brick tournament was so fun. I will always remember playing in the mall in front of so many people”.

What do you look forward to most about attending Miami of Ohio?  I cannot wait to play for Coach Rico Blasi. He seems pretty cool, and likes a fast offensive minded type of hockey”.

Any individuals you would like to acknowledge?  “I will always be grateful to Coach Draper for believing in me, and (to) all of my teammates and coaches growing up. My Mom and Dad for driving me to practices and always encouraging me. I also want to thank God for giving me a lot of talent”.

Comments

• Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Hate to beat a dead horse, but who butchered our name?
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    You mock now but IMO he's going to be Schoen us a national title. I'm so sorry.
    grumpy1QuinoaburgerTruckCrewredhawksnredsDICKMHT_Meme_TeamBlackbird
  • ChiefPanicChiefPanic Off-Campus Slummer
    Awful
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    edited April 2017
    Schoen means BEAUTIFUL auf Deutsch... :)
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum

You mock now but IMO he's going to be Schoen us a national title. I'm so sorry.

I'm banning you for six months
    The_SackmanQuinoaburgerChiefPanicTruckCrewredhawksnredsDICKMHT_Meme_Team
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Go Ben! 

A story about him when he was in 5th Grade in Toledo!

Ben - You Da Liver Man!
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    dave67 said:

*schön
    edited April 2017
    dave67 said:

*schön

Thanks.  Lack of an umlaut on the keyboard portends one use "oe".

And it's not pronounced "showin" as one tried the pun above...it's actually pronounced "schern"...gotta pucker the lips.
    :D
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Ben was drafted by the Sarnia Sting in the OHL draft.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Great pick up!
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

Does that mean no Miami like the others we lost to OHL? Or OHL now then college?
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Senior Barfly
    Spanks004 said:

JohnnyMac said:

Does that mean no Miami like the others we lost to OHL? Or OHL now then college?
    Playing in the OHL forfeits NCAA eligibility. That said, players can be drafted in the OHL and not play there.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

JohnnyMac said:

Just means we need to re-recruit him, like anyone else who commits but hasn’t signed a NLI yet and can entertain other offers. Being drafted doesn’t mean he goes OHL, just that a team wants him.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

JohnnyMac said:

There are a good chunk of guys who were drafted into the OHL but decided to keep with going to Miami.
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    JiveHawk said:

Spanks004 said:

JohnnyMac said:

There are a good chunk of guys who were drafted into the OHL but decided to keep with going to Miami.
    I've got chunks of guys from the OHL in my stool.
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    =>Mr. Show:  "The Recruiters"

Feature article on Schoen:

Leaving his local high school and playing juniors in Youngstown.
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    As much as I hope: (a) this kid is a great as everyone seems to think he'll be and (b) that he does end up coming to Miami, I don't think there's any way that a 14-year old kid really has any idea where he wants to go to college. Still, I don't fault the coaches for offering and I certainly don't fault him for accepting ... and if he changes his mind one day, I won't hold that against him either.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    Of note, Mitch Miller was going to be heading to Miami as of a few weeks ago but flipped after the new staff landed another forward. Recruiting will be interesting the next 2 years.
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    Have we had to change our recruiting strategy since the rise of B10 hockey league?
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    MUHawk84 said:

Have we had to change our recruiting strategy since the rise of B10 hockey league?

Curious about that too.  But it's really just Penn State that's the new player, right?  Everyone else was established with recruiting ties. 
    elpalito said:

MUHawk84 said:

Curious about that too.  But it's really just Penn State that's the new player, right?  Everyone else was established with recruiting ties. 
    As far as I know....
    MUHawk84, Was the answer worth the 6 1/2 month wait?
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    I think when the B10 conference formed it also gave the schools more credibility in some minds. OSU has been ranked near the top in the country last few years and signing high quality guys...that wasn't happening as much in CCHA
    dave67 said:

I was waiting with antici........................pation!
    dave67
  • MUHawk84 said:

dave67 said:

I was waiting with antici........................pation!
    Excellent Rocky Horror reference!
    Schoen announced on Instagram that he has committed to Penn State.  I'm not sure what happened in between, but apparently he ain't comin' here no more.
  • moosemoose Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

Schoen announced on Instagram that he has committed to Penn State.  I'm not sure what happened in between, but apparently he ain't comin' here no more.

Just looked at the roster for any more surprises, didn’t notice anyone missing other than Gruden when he signed right after the season ended.

Barry eligible, Savage, Clement, Sladic, pletzke, craws, capstick

Brand now committed to St Cloud.
    Feiwell now with Denver.
    Murray is too old for juniors, but now instead of coming in is trying to jump into the sabres org after leaving penn state.
    Kessel to UMass.

Update on Schoen:  Injured, season cancelled, draft eligible, still headed to Penn State: