Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

New Tennis Coach

laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
Anyone with an idea of what went down here?

Head coach resigns one day and associate head coach is elevated to head job the next.

It looks like former coach was shown the door. One of our more successful programs over last decade at least based on MAC results.

Tennis seems to be a sport that is dominated by foreign athletes these days. The majority of our team are foreign students. 3 from Russia.
3/4 of new commits are foreign students.

Women's golf is the same. Kent State had a great run in the NCAA tournament making Final 8 and into match play. 4/9 of KSU team are foreign students. A lot of foreign students. Look no further than the LPGA to see that.

It is too bad more girls in the US don't want to put the time in to compete in these sports with the scholarship money available. 

Comments

• Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Rosas has been part of the program for like ten years I think, even associate head coach in the past. Maybe Miami losing a few more MAC matches and not winning the MAC this year impacted the decision.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    laxdaddy said:

Head coach resigns one day and associate head coach is elevated to head job the next.

It looks like former coach was shown the door.
    I don't have any inside information, but I doubt that's the case. This was Carollo's 3rd season at Miami and the team won regular season titles in both of her first two seasons here. They didn't this year, but there were some extenuating circumstances. They had a team captain die right before the start of the season and they had to give extended playing time to a walk-on they pulled off the street partway through the season because of a player shortage.

And it's no surprise that Rosas would take over after such a short turnaround. He's been with the program for 15 years as part of several successful staffs and has had 2 successful stints as interim head coach. I don't know what the team's recruiting situation is, but Rosas probably also helps with that. After graduation, they have just 5 scholarship players (you need 6 players to field a team), so at this stage in the year it doesn't make sense to conduct an extended search and then have the new coach start over the recruiting process with 3 open scholarships (especially when you have such an obvious candidate ready to take over immediately).
    Bash_RiprockAORedHawk33killgas20
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    I think Rosas is a great choice. Been with the program a long time and used to be one of the top players for Mexico. Played Davis Cup for them as well. No idea what happened with Carollo but glad Rosas is getting the shot!!
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly

laxdaddy said:

It looks like former coach was shown the door.
    I don't have any inside information, but I doubt that's the case. This was Carollo's 3rd season at Miami and the team won regular season titles in both of her first two seasons here. They didn't this year, but there were some extenuating circumstances. They had a team captain die right before the start of the season and they had to give extended playing time to a walk-on they pulled off the street partway through the season because of a player shortage.

And it's no surprise that Rosas would take over after such a short turnaround. He's been with the program for 15 years as part of several successful staffs and has had 2 successful stints as interim head coach. I don't know what the team's recruiting situation is, but Rosas probably also helps with that. After graduation, they have just 5 scholarship players (you need 6 players to field a team), so at this stage in the year it doesn't make sense to conduct an extended search and then have the new coach start over the recruiting process with 3 open scholarships (especially when you have such an obvious candidate ready to take over immediately).
    I have no knowledge whatsoever other than reading the tea leaves here.

Head coaches do not often voluntarily resign their positions unless taking another job. Associate coaches who have been passed over twice in the past do not often get elevated to the top job on the day after a "resignation". 

This looks to me like Sayler had decided that Rosas was worthy of the top job and he wanted Carollo out. The alternative is that Carollo had told Sayler a while back she wanted to resign and the whole thing was wired for some time.

In any event. best of luck to both of them.

• RudyRudy Havighurstite
    I played on the men's tennis team in the mid 90's. There were plenty of foreign players starting to get wise about playing in the US and get a free education. Both teams (men's and women's) had a few then although the men's team had more. The issue isn't that there aren't good American players who wouldn't be qualified. It's that most of the coaches have been international since Ray Reppert and brought in players they know from their corners of the world. Women's team should be top 50 in the country. They beat IU this year for a program first, but lost to a lot of teams the old women's team would have run over. I wish RR much success.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Ricardo should have been named head coach twice before. I understand at one point the major issue was he didn't have an undergraduate degree. I'm not sure if that's a hard and fast rule, but that's what I've heard.

I think it's a great hire and he'll do good things. Glad he's getting a shot!
  • RudyRudy Havighurstite
    It was the issue. As you might imagine, he was traveling the world playing tennis when most kids were in high school/college. Smart guy though so he completed his requirements and I think will get the program to another level. That said, please, nobmore losses to anyone local and if we lose to anyone in the MAC, that team better be a fluke.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Glad to hear he got his work done and gets this opportunity. Lots of drama with the program in the last decade or so. So, Rudy, did the girls flirt with you to raise cash at the direction of that jerk off coach a few years back?
    gentbaseball12
  • RudyRudy Havighurstite
    I was there that weekend and there was no drama. Funny how student media can print anything. I don't know what he said to his players but I can tell you most of us guys were in bed by 11. (Old age is the great night life limiter) I can't speak for the fired coach and what he did/didn't do to build up resentment all year, but none of us guys saw whatever his indiscression was. Hard to judge in that regard. Guys and girls tennis team were always friendly but in a family sort of way. Half of us knew each other since we were little. Not sure flirting would have been taken serious by anyone. That weekend, the girls were younger than all of us and there's a code that none of us would ever break as we were once in their shoes. And many spoken for. Funniest memory of the weekend was how affordable the restaurants were. 12 of us are for like 120 bucks with tip.