Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

NCAA Tournament

Comments

• profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum

Renmanco said:

Nickskin said:

I'd love for Oats to stay and build a consistent winner at UB.  His success at Buffalo doesn't hurt Miami at all.  If Miami chooses to commit resources and support to MBB that will be one of the determining factors.  Have UB raise the bar and let the other MAC teams work harder.

It all comes down to M O N E Y. The bucks have to go into facilities and into stepping up coaching salaries. I doubt Oats will stay at UB for anything less than $1 MM. One cannot blame a coach at a mid-major (who also has a mid-major salary (under $500K) ) from taking an opportunity to make more money when it is presented.
    Dan Dakich on one of the recent BB broadcasts...said several times when the discussion turned to the job Oats has done at Buffalo: "leave." Obviously, Dakich overstayed at BG and what had been a good team under him in his early years there went into the dumpster and Dakich lost his chance for a bigger payday and his comments clearly showed his disappointment at not leaving BG when given what was probably his best chance early on into his time there.
    So, if the MAC wants to step it up, they will need to figure out a way to keep coaches happy (cash will do much of that) and better enable them to successfully recruit (have great facilities....and decent fan support.....and more prime time TV exposure....the things that the recruits notice).
    To really do this the right way, the MAC conference-wide needs to get aboard. Having only 1 or 2 schools getting with the program will not get it done.....and, frankly, I doubt the conference presidents have the collective will to get behind this; again, money will be the key issue.
    Dan Dakich did leave BGSU for West Virginia. When he saw the train wreck there, he went back to BG. Coaches used his “leave & return” as a recruiting tool that the players wouldn’t know if Dakich was going to be around from one year to the next.
    And rightfully so. There was nothing dishonest about pointing that out.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    muhawk said:

UVA scored 54 points in that game. UMBC scored 53 points in the second half.

It truly is madness.

UVA averaged 53 points allowed per game, as many as they allowed in the 2nd last night.
  • hawkattack06hawkattack06 Senior Barfly
    UMBC would've been a 15 seed in the 64 team format.
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    Re6H5wk said:

Blackbird said:

I was at the UVA-UMBC game.

Do you realize you're one of what, maybe 15,000 people in the world who can claim they saw a 16 beat a 1 in person?

I do! Incredibly fortunate. Eyewitness to history!
    mollauttRe6H5wk
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum

UMBC was not a 15 seed in the format we currently use.

Re6H5wk
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    Blackbird said:

Re6H5wk said:

Blackbird said:

I was at the UVA-UMBC game.

Do you realize you're one of what, maybe 15,000 people in the world who can claim they saw a 16 beat a 1 in person?

I do! Incredibly fortunate. Eyewitness to history!
    Hold onto that ticket!
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Making the UMBC game even crazier is that they weren't even supposed to be in the tournament. Vermont was the biggest favorite to win their conference tournament in the country, and it wasn't even close. Per KenPom, Vermont had a 75.2% chance of winning the America East tournament; NMSU was second with a 57.3% chance of winning the WAC tournament. UMBC was only given a 9.3% chance. Vermont was a double digit favorite in the championship game against UMBC, and UMBC needed a 3 point buzzer beater to beat them. They're on a wild run right now.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

UMBC was not a 15 seed in the format we currently use.

Right, but they were the #63 overall seed of 68, so if you drop the one auto-bid and three at-large spots that were added, they rise to #59. (Even if we keep the original play-in and 65 teams, they’re #60 and thus a 15 seed.) Adding the three at-larges (who slot in as potential 11s under the rules) dropped them down to a 16.
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    Was thinking that if a 1 seed were to lose to a 16 seed this year it would have been Penn over Kansas. UMBC over UVA would have never been my choice in a million years.
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    edited March 2018
    This tournament is defined by a 16 seed and a 98-year-old nun.

I love March.
    ScalperBash_Riprock
  • moosemoose Wealthy Alum
    Tennessee players video asking people not to pick them wasn’t in jest apparently.
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum
    muhawk said:

I love March.
    And a mid range jumper ;)

JiveHawkredhawk11thechuck_2112
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    At least we all can rejoice that Ohio State has been eliminated, despite the referees blowing an obvious video review call.

TILLIE TILLIE!!
    muhoopsjunkieBash_RiprockAORedHawk33
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Bulls played hard but Diallo silenced Harris and no one could slow down Shai Short-Shorts. Thanks for beating the felons though!
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum

Bulls played hard but Diallo silenced Harris and no one could slow down Shai Short-Shorts. Thanks for beating the felons though!

Fact: Miami  beat UB as often as Kentucky did this season.
    Quinoaburger
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Side track for hockey update. Both NoDak and UMD get screwed since Princeton and BU won their tournaments and ace out the NCHC teams sitting in 13 and 14 in the pairwise. (WCHA and Atlantic East conference tourney champs took 15 and 16th slots.)
    moose
    N.B. big ten have 5 teams in tourney. Oi vay
  • Yager07KumlerYager07Kumler Senior Barfly
    dave67 said:

Side track for hockey update. Both NoDak and UMD get screwed since Princeton and BU won their tournaments and ace out the NCHC teams sitting in 13 and 14 in the pairwise. (WCHA and Atlantic East conference tourney champs took 15 and 16th slots.)

UMD claims the last at large spot. North Dakota misses the tourney for the first time in 17 years.
    I see Duluth at 12 right now, same number of comparisons with Minnesota, but a better RPI by .001
    muhawk said:

I love March.
    Up until this weekend, the most well known nun in the Chicagoland area was Sister Mary Stigmata.
    Beat me to it...Notre Dame beat tOSU and dropped Minnesota (by .001) below UMD,  Sorry for passing on incorrect info...So, big 10 will have only 4 teams and NCHC will have 3.
    I've signed up for next year's Bracketology course at Hockeytown University. 
    :C
    Professor_Fate
    Houston we have a problem

Go Blue
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

At least we all can rejoice that Ohio State has been eliminated, despite the referees blowing an obvious video review call.

TILLIE TILLIE!!

And at least the Ohio State fans can still root for Michigan and those buzzer-beating B1G bad boys!

mooseProfessor_Fate
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    bpat said:

muhawk said:

I love March.

Loyola literally needed a 98 year old nun praying for them to make a mid-range jump shot.
    90skinthechuck_2112

bpat said:

muhawk said:

I love March.

Loyola literally needed a 98 year old nun praying for them to make a mid-range jump shot.
    Hey! We could all use a Sister Jean, in our lives, giving a little extra boost from the Team Upstairs.
  • KAMUOHIOKAMUOHIO Havighurstite
    I am still trying to calm down from the Michigan ending last night...holy!
    Professor_Fate
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Arizona. Sparty. Roy. Sampson. Good to see the scum get what they deserve.
    dave67AORedHawk33
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum

Arizona. Sparty. Roy. Sampson. Good to see the scum get what they deserve.

Except Ichabod Crane slipped through. :(

• TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    I ain’t mad about the first result in Nashville.
    90skin
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    I guess UC still sucks. Colossal choke and colossal comeback.