Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

CHN reporter hearing news that Rico's staff is out

thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
edited March 2018 in Ice Hockey
https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahonCHN/status/974787217188106243

Hearing through multiple sources that the assistant coaches under Rico Blasi at Miami will be let go and they'll rebuild the staff this offseason.

redhawk11moose

Comments

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    I have to figure this was the result of a conversation that went something like "Either you let your staff go or you're fired, but the staff's gone either way."
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Not going to be a fun hockey dinner.
    Professor_Fate
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    dave67 said:

Not going to be a fun hockey dinner.

Should have been a celebration....if they had fired Rico.
  • BillTheCatBillTheCat Summer Orientee
    https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2018/03/16_Miami-Fires-Assistant-Coaches.php

All assistants gone and possibly 4 players asked to not return
  • NYCRedHawkNYCRedHawk Off-Campus Slummer

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2018/03/16_Miami-Fires-Assistant-Coaches.php

Who were the players released and why?  If nothing substantial happens next year (NCAA berth) you think Rico is gone?

Who were the players released and why?  If nothing substantial happens next year (NCAA berth) you think Rico is gone?
    Let’s hope so. Rico helped build this program. And has also driven it into the ground.

• Yager07KumlerYager07Kumler Senior Barfly
    Interested to learn which players were released. Hopefully this can help get the program back on track.

I can’t imagine Rico is still around next year without an NCAA berth.

I feel badly for Petraglia. Great guy to have some classes with.

I feel badly for Petraglia. Great guy to have some classes with.

I feel badly when anyone loses their job. But being a great guy in class 10-15 years ago and being equipped to be a good D1 coach are totally different beasts.
    naptownHawk
  • BonkBonk Havighurstite
    edited March 2018

I heard four players were cut as well from a source I'd trust with my life (that source also tipped me off about the assistants).

Didn't hear who the players were though.

Stay tuned.

• dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    I wonder if the players were "cut" (released?) for under performing, grades, injuries, etc.?

Watching the list of scratches throughout the season and watching one "star" overwhelmingly under perform, I could guess at the four; however comma not here in writing for sake of complete stupidity on my part.
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    I feel bad for the guys who have lost their jobs. This affects their entire lives and I'm sure they wanted to turn things around more than anyone else.

But it is a results-based business and the results are clearly not where they should be. Miami should not be missing the tourney 3 straight years and 4 out of 5 seasons. The seniors who just ended their collegiate careers played in exactly one NCAA tournament game. That should never be acceptable for any Miami class.
    Quinoaburger
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    Regardless of what happens after all the smoke clears, it's encouraging to see the program getting a shake up. Had nothing been addressed after several seasons of mediocrity, and this past season's awfulness, I'd be concerned. There is no complacency here though. It's clear that Sayler and co. want a winner.
  • greggie76greggie76 Havighurstite
    Should fire rico
  • BonkBonk Havighurstite
    muhawk said:

I feel bad for the guys who have lost their jobs. This affects their entire lives and I'm sure they wanted to turn things around more than anyone else.

But it is a results-based business and the results are clearly not where they should be. Miami should not be missing the tourney 3 straight years and 4 out of 5 seasons. The seniors who just ended their collegiate careers played in exactly one NCAA tournament game. That should never be acceptable for any Miami class.
    Totally nailed it.

And if it makes you feel better, at least one of the two is just getting reassigned, not hitting the unemployment line.
  • adyonkaadyonka Wealthy Alum
    Official MU release: https://goo.gl/r2V3LV
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    I expect next year to be pretty mediocre as everyone adjust to new systems, etc. I always wonder what it is that makes people call for a coach's job. Watching the football team it was easy. When players are literally on their cel phones during a game and look totally checked out....it's pretty clear the coach has lost his team. The hockey team plays hard. Those are good coaches. I'm not sure what the issue is. Its clear in interviews Blasi is frustrated with something but he's not throwing kids, coaches, or anyone else under the bus. I also think he's a hard coach to play for and Miami is a hard place to play hockey due to "The Brotherhood"  demands and academic demands. 
    Iam4hawks said:

I'm not sure what the issue is. Its clear in interviews Blasi is frustrated with something but he's not throwing kids, coaches, or anyone else under the bus. I also think he's a hard coach to play for and Miami is a hard place to play hockey due to "The Brotherhood"  demands and academic demands. 

What??? He just tossed 4 kids and fired his assistants. Threw them all under the bus. Rico is a FIGJAM.
    JiveHawkthechuck_2112NYCRedHawkTruckCrew
  • KAMUOHIOKAMUOHIO Havighurstite
    19goSkins said:

Iam4hawks said:

I'm not sure what the issue is. Its clear in interviews Blasi is frustrated with something but he's not throwing kids, coaches, or anyone else under the bus. I also think he's a hard coach to play for and Miami is a hard place to play hockey due to "The Brotherhood"  demands and academic demands. 

What??? He just tossed 4 kids and fired his assistants. Threw them all under the bus. Rico is a FIGJAM.
    You think this was his choice?  I imagine the conversation went something like this.  You have 1, maybe 2 years to get things right or you will be out.  Replace your assistants and find some talent asap.
    thechuck_2112
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    Maybe this fire lit under Rico's ass will work.

4 bad seasons out of 5 , 3 in a row. 2 straight 20 loss seasons.

Something is NOT working.

The team did play well the last 3 weeks of the season.

IF they played that well the whole conference schedule the team would have a home series the 1st round.

edited March 2018
    KAMUOHIO said:

19goSkins said:

Iam4hawks said:

You think this was his choice?  I imagine the conversation went something like this.  You have 1, maybe 2 years to get things right or you will be out.  Replace your assistants and find some talent asap.
    Not sure. But I seriously doubt someone else gave 4 players the boot.
    I can’t imagine Rico had the choice regarding Brekke and Petraglia. His only choice was whether he’d have a job himself. The assistants were gone eithe way.
    Can we just note on the side, btw, that at noon on Saturday, Minnesota had a 97% chance at an at-large bid, per odds? They needed six games, some of which were exceedingly unlikely, to go against them. All six went against them, and UMD got the last at-large by hundredths of a point.
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    which players are gone?
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Off-Campus Slummer
    Late to this thread, but results were unacceptable and something had to change.  Let's hope next year at this time we're all celebrating a return to the NCAAs and talking about how this was the kick in the pants this program needed to return to its former glory days.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Very interested to hear who the four players leaving are, and then who we are going to bring in to replace them.
  • bpatbpat Senior Barfly
    Maybe we could bring these 3?

Bash_Riprockdave67The_Sackmanskin66Scalpericepics