Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Matej Pekar - 2018 C/RW - Muskegon (USHL)

thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
edited April 2018 in Ice Hockey Recruiting
New commit to announce in Matej Pekar, a center/right wing who plays for Muskegon in he USHL. Pekar has also played for the Czech U18 team at the World Juniors.

Of note, he was previously committed to UNO. With Peter Mannino joining the Miami staff, he flipped his commitment. Twitter buzz is that Mannino is working UNO commits big time to get them to flip.
moose

Comments

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Of note: Pekar was named USHL rookie of the year earlier this week. He is eligible for the NHL draft and projected as the #55 North American skater.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    How do feel about this UNO thing. We didnt like Narduzzi too much years ago
    I’m not the world’s happiest about it. Not the happiest by a long shot.

I hold none of this against the players. They should be free to go wherever they want. But the coaches who actively recruit their own commits are a different story.
  • moosemoose Wealthy Alum
    He liked the kid a few months ago, might as well see if he still wants to come aboard. If the kid chooses to move for an assistant coach, he probably wasn’t that sold on the original program to began with.

Keep it up mannino.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

I hold none of this against the players. They should be free to go wherever they want. But the coaches who actively recruit their own commits are a different story.

It happens everywhere. Players don't commit to a school like they're supposed to, they commit to coaches with the relationships they've built. Look at players transferring with coaches moving; players are willing to sit out a year to stay with the same coach. It's hurt and helped Miami and it falls on the players who pick coaches over schools.
    Spanks004
    edited April 2018
    JiveHawk said:

It happens everywhere. Players don't commit to a school like they're supposed to, they commit to coaches with the relationships they've built. Look at players transferring with coaches moving; players are willing to sit out a year to stay with the same coach. It's hurt and helped Miami and it falls on the players who pick coaches over schools.
    The reference to Pat Narduzzi set me off a bit.  When he left Miami, he didn't give notice to other people on the staff and subsequently try to recruit players to UC. Miami found out he had taken the UC defensive coordinator job when a recruit flipped and told Terry Hoeppner that Pat Narduzzi was already in an office in Clifton.  There's an honorable way to flip guys and a dishonorable way to do it.

Given the gap between our hiring of Mennino and these guys flipping, I assume it was done above board rather than by subterfuge and concealment. I certainly hope so, anyway.
  • cwRedhawkscwRedhawks Havighurstite
    Notched 54 points in 56 games
    (14 goals, 40 assists)
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Senior Barfly
    According to this report: http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=112812, Pekar had previously decommitted from UNO and was going through recruitment again. Doesn't seem to be the case for Daschke. 

• Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Great pick up!
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Assistant coaches aside, I’d rather flip guys committed to BU, Denver, Michigan, etc. than UNO!
    19goSkins said:

Assistant coaches aside, I’d rather flip guys committed to BU, Denver, Michigan, etc. than UNO!

Yeah! Stop flipping probable 3rd round draft picks! /s
    Spanks004
  • cwRedhawkscwRedhawks Havighurstite
    Signs with Buffalo Sabres

Signs with Buffalo Sabres

Yeah, he had the issue with getting into college because of a class, but after going to the OHL tore it apart. He was 6-5-11 in 10 games. He probably would've been a one and done at Miami, but it would've been fun to see what he could do here.