Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019-20 Roster

NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
edited December 2018 in Men's Basketball
SR (1): F Bam Bowman
JR (6 ): G Nike Sibande, G Jalen Adaway, G ICL, F Precious Ayah, F Dalonte Brown, G Milos Jovic
SO (2)
:
G Mekhi Lairy, F Elijah McNamara
FR (4/4)
:
G Myja White, F Javin Etzler, F Sydney Curry, G Devon Grant

Breakdown:
F/C (6 ) : Bam, Precious, Brown, McNamara, Etzler, Curry
G (7) : Nike, Jalen, ICL, Milos, Myja, Mekhi, Grant

Comments

• Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    Looks like a Sweet Sixteen roster.
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum

Looks like a Sweet Sixteen roster.

Sweet eleven
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    other than Precious, Milos and to a certain extent Dalonte Brown, this is a Jack Owens roster.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Sweet.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Süss
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    My fear will be losing Ringo after next year, wish he had one year after that...but hoping Lairy steps right in and dominates
    roster updated with Curry commitment
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Another swing player like Dalonte would be a good addition to this roster. Or another post player. But a lot to like already. I won't go so far as to make the predictions some are. 
    2019-20 roster updated with addition of Javohn Garcia
    roster updated with removal of Garcia and move of Myja White to remain in the freshman class
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    Guessing the depth chart way too early:

PG: Mehki, Myja/ICL
    SG: Nike, ICL
    WG: Adaway, Jovic/Etzler
    WF: Brown, McNamara, Etzler
    PF: Bowman, Curry, Ayah
    JiveHawk said:

Guessing the depth chart way too early:

PG: Mehki, Myja/ICL
    SG: Nike, ICL
    WG: Adaway, Jovic/Etzler
    WF: Brown, McNamara, Etzler
    PF: Bowman, Curry, Ayah
    can't argue with this.  Lots of options with the guards.  Miami can play a number of different guys at the point: Mehki, Myja, ICL, Milos.  Thos same guys can also play off-guard.  It will be interesting to see what happnes with Ayah.  His injury certainly hurt but so far in this early season he hasn't stood out much.
    JiveHawk
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    So one avail still?   JUCO...

or bank it?
    I love the versatility of this roster we will have next year. Many guys interchangeable positions. Would love to add Rustin though with the one available spot Garcia vacated. 
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    I'm not familiar with Etzler. What's he like?
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

Google, YouTube, Hudl
    The_Sackmanmrgredhawk
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    skins said:

or bank it?
    Micah Potter IMO
    DICK
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum

skins said:

or bank it?
    Micah Potter IMO
    Potter would be awesome, he was just at Wisconsin this weekend (surprising osu would let him stay B10)
    Re6H5wk said:

6'8" wing/stretch 4 but can rebound. Think McNamara but a little shorter. Nice shot. Good basketball IQ. Here is some video. Generally wears #5. Very nice player. Fits in well with Owens system. He has a younger brother who is also about 6'8" and can play. 

Re6H5wk
    Couple more Javin Etzler videos for you:

edited November 2018
    I think Etlzer...is more of a develop into Winbush/ Peavy type player than Eli...whose a bit more a little Peavy/Dierkers.
    hawkattack06JiveHawk
    edited November 2018
    That's confusing Hawk06...based on your handle, you should know those players?

Maybe this is easier/more straight-forward...Etlzer will develop more into a wing, than forward...while Eli (see Blues comment above) is more of a forward than wing.

Etzler has more ball handling skills than McNamara as far as I can tell...more bounce in his outside shooting.
  • hawkattack06hawkattack06 Off-Campus Slummer
    edited November 2018
    I just found it confusing that you are saying they are different style players, but then compared them both to Peavy.

I just found it confusing that you are saying they are different style players, but then compared them both to Peavy.

My comparison is I think they are both in the mold of the modern day stretch 4. Not saying Eli and Javin have identical skills. Javin is by video, a better ballhandler. The comparison is the position I think they both play, the stretch 4. Although Javin could probably play wing too. 
    JiveHawk
    edited November 2018

I was not comparing them both Peavy straight up...I was saying they have attributes or game of those players, each with some potential of a Peavy...but one trending more wing (Winbush)...the other trending more towards forward (Dierkers). Theyll both be able to do a little of both....but figured might be confusing.

Etlzer seems to have more handle...Eli more catch and shoot. At least thats my best guess.

• Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum

Re6H5wk said:

Google, YouTube, Hudl
    That's what you guys are for. ;)
  • hawkattack06hawkattack06 Off-Campus Slummer
    skins said:

I was not comparing them both Peavy straight up...I was saying they have attributes or game of those players, each with some potential of a Peavy...but one trending more wing (Winbush)...the other trending more towards forward (Dierkers). Theyll both be able to do a little of both....

Etlzer seems to have more handle...Eli more catch and shoot. At least thats my best guess.

Eli has taken 11 shots so far, and 9 of them have been 3's ( and has made 3). Tyler Diekers was 6 for 23 from 3 in the his entire career. Dierkers was a project post player who developed into an effective option his last 2 years. I see no comparisons to Eli at this point in his young career.
    JiveHawk
    edited November 2018
    He's a frosh and needs strength still to play inside and hence why I said Peavy/Dierkers, given that Dierkers did not shoot from outside, really if at all.

However, I expect Eli to fullfill that comparison in that his frame will likely fill out to at max Dierkers (6-8/9, 215/220) ...will likely pass from high post like Dierkers (I saw some vid of Eli, good passer), and hopefully rebound like him, eventually.

I don't see Eli taken people off the dribble from perimeter much (other than a baseline drive) or shooting off dribble much, if at all from perimeter.

So thats how I see it, Dierkers with a catch and shoot outside shot....and I'd welcome it.

Take a look here, it high school, but a fair amount high post, mid-post baseline spin moves...looks like Dierkers running, passing...just has nice catch and shoot from trey as well.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    skins said:

I was not comparing them both Peavy straight up...I was saying they have attributes or game of those players, each with some potential of a Peavy...but one trending more wing (Winbush)...the other trending more towards forward (Dierkers). Theyll both be able to do a little of both....but figured might be confusing.

Etzler was just selected as the best catch up shooter in the EYBL or whichever AAU league he was just playing in. There is limited difference between the two. Etzler could play 2-4 right now. Eli will probably develop the skills to play more of a 3, but I really don't think we'll see him under the basket and be a 5 as much as you're hoping. Dalonte Brown, who plays the exact same position in the offense, takes 40% of his shots from 3. Eli will never be a guy that only shoots 23 3s. Barring injury, he'll have 23 on the season before conference play all 4 years.
    skins
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    I wanted everybody to take note of the type of basketball crowds we have for small school basketball in my area ( Convoy Crestview is about 40 minutes NW of New Bremen).  Those crowds are typical for Friday night games and all tournament games.