Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2020 PG Javohn Garcia (UMass Commit)

NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
edited October 2019 in Men's Basketball Recruiting
Javohn is a 6'3" PG from Pickerington Central HS.  Played AAU with All-Ohio Red and on same HS team as Jeremiah Francis (6-3 PG ***** going to UNC).  Garcia played PG with Francis out.  Many thought Pick Central might compete for a State Championship for the 2018-19 season because of these two players, however, Francis has a knee injury that will end his HS career.  

PLAYER PROFILES:

247 Sports PROFILE:
Verbal Commits PROFILE:

OFFERS:

MIAMI, Stoney Brook, Air Force

PREP HOOPS SUMMER 2018 OHIO RANKINGS:

1) 6-9 F Alonzo Gaffney (Ohio State)
2) 6-3 PG Jeremiah Francis (UNC)
3) 6-4 G Samari Curtis (Cincinnati)
4) 6-4 G Amari Davis
5) 6-3 G Josh Corbin
6) 6-1 G Miles McBride (West Virginia)
7) 6-6 WF Ben Roderick
8 ) 6-9 F Brison Walker
9) 6-3 PG Javohn Garcia
10) 6-6 WF Max Martz (Penn)
11) 6-6 WF Tanner Holden
12) 6-3 G Lunden McDay
13) 6-7 WF Javin Etzler (MIAMI)

Triple Double Prospects EVALUATION HERE:

Evaluation: Smooth and lanky combo guard who showcased a point guard game in his junior season, Garcia is slippery off the dribble and has excellent vision as a passer. Capable of making the spectacular dribble move or pass, Garcia thrives in the up-tempo game, and has the athleticism and length to create havoc on the college level as well. Garcia will have to continue to improve his jumper, but he’s one of Ohio’s most talented offensive guards in 2019.

Comments

• NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    Per his twitter feed - Javohn Garcia is a RedHawk!!!! Welcome
    @ZachFleer270
    The area’s top 2019 guards have improved this summer. Really impressed with Gahanna’s Josh Corbin, Westerville North’s Jeremiah Keene, Pickerington Central’s Javohn Garcia and Northland’s N’Keeley Elmore, among others this weekend

@Corey_Albertson
    ‘19 Pickerington Central PG Javohn Garcia commits to Miami (OH). One of the best playermakers in Ohio in 2019, has college guard size.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited August 2018
    Welcome Javohn.  We also signed 6-9 Elijah McNamara last season from rival Pickerington North.  Coach O's strong recruiting areas appear to be Indiana and Pickerington!
    edited August 2018
    Earlier in the week @ZachFleer270 tweeted:

‘19 prospects Jay Rodgers and Sam Towns have both transferred from Springfield to Pickerington Central. Tigers become even more loaded with two quality players who logged important minutes for Springfield last season.

Then—-tonight—-Fleer tweets:

Per a source, Pickerington Central juniors Jamir Simpson and Josiah Fulcher have transferred to Lima Senior

What is happening in HS BBall?!?!
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Tough for Isaiah Carson. I assume he is still Springfield’s coach.
    redhawk11 said:

Tough for Isaiah Carson. I assume he is still Springfield’s coach.

He is
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Nickskin said:

‘19 prospects Jay Rodgers and Sam Towns have both transferred from Springfield to Pickerington Central. Tigers become even more loaded with two quality players who logged important minutes for Springfield last season.

Per a source, Pickerington Central juniors Jamir Simpson and Josiah Fulcher have transferred to Lima Senior

I feel for those kids who had to transfer out because their team is so loaded. I had a vaguely similar experience in high school. I was a good enough baseball player that I would have played in most places, but I went to a school that has one of the best baseball programs in the country, so I wasn't good enough to even make the team. Given the disappointment a schlub like me felt, I can't imagine what it would be like for somebody with D1 aspirations. I know it might make old school people uncomfortable, but given the value of a scholarship these days I can totally understand somebody transferring high schools for sports if they think that's what they need to do to get an offer.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Nickskin said:

The Simpson name in legendary at Lima Senior.  Years ago Greg Simpson was a Mr. Basketball who went to Ohio State, then got in some trouble and transferred to West Virginia to play for Bob Huggins and become a star there.  4 or 5 years ago brother Quincy became the Head Coach at Lima Senior and they have been a state power ever since.  Quincy's son Xavier is the current starting point guard for Michigan.  I mention all that because one of those guys transferring from Pick Central to Lima Senior is Jamir Simpson.  Just guessing that there is a blood connection there.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Even got a TV show too!
    DICK
    was on official visit to Miami this past weekend
    edited September 2018
    Javohn recently competed at the "Hidden Gems Showcase" and its been reported that his shooting continues to improve and has been a focus of his.  The report also indicates that he appears more explosive and powerful around the rim.

• aba222aba222 Off-Campus Slummer
    edited September 2018
    Nickskin said:

Javohn recently competed at the "Hidden Gems Showcase" and its been reported that his shooting continues to improve and has been a focus of his.  The report also indicates that he appears more explosive and powerful around the rim.

Nice write up here:
    https://www.270hoops.com/news_article/show/952293

• Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    No NLI today from Garcia...and Miami bball posted a story about just the two who sent in today...interesting
    Nickskin
    Spanks004 said:

No NLI today from Garcia...and Miami bball posted a story about just the two who sent in today...interesting

Plus it appears Pickerington Central had an NLI signing day event for multiple athletes including another b-ball player. A bit unusual
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    Tweeted he's reopening his recruitment. Let the Micah Potter rumors commence.
    mrgredhawkAORedHawk33DICK
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Wish him well. He is a good player. Guards aren't a priority right now in my opinion. We have great guards. 

Bluesman said:

Wish him well. He is a good player. Guards aren't a priority right now in my opinion. We have great guards. 

Absolutely.

Looking at the roster, it appers that Myja White is redshirting this year.  As such, next season, Miami has the following rostered guards:

SR (0)
    JR (4 ): G Nike Sibande, G Jalen Adaway, G ICL, G Milos Jovic
    SO (1)
    :
    G Mekhi Lairy,
    FR (1)
    :
    G Myja White
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    JiveHawk said:

Interesting. I looked at this Twitter feed on signing day and he still had a lot of Miami material on there, Retweets from Sibande etc.It has all been deleted.

This might provide Coach O with some more flexibility. Perhaps he waits for the Spring and considers  JUCO or grad transfers based on what greatest need is based on how the season unfolds.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    laxdaddy said:

JiveHawk said:

Interesting. I looked at this Twitter feed on signing day and he still had a lot of Miami material on there, Retweets from Sibande etc.It has all been deleted.

This might provide Coach O with some more flexibility. Perhaps he waits for the Spring and considers  JUCO or grad transfers based on what greatest need is based on how the season unfolds.
    Great observation....I'm sure Coach O will have plenty of good choices at that time
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum
    Renmanco said:

laxdaddy said:

JiveHawk said:

Great observation....I'm sure Coach O will have plenty of good choices at that time
    Like Abrams?
    agc
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    grumpy1 said:

Renmanco said:

laxdaddy said:

JiveHawk said:

Like Abrams?
    Yep. A serviceable big body who knows his role is to rebound and defend.
    greggie76
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

grumpy1 said:

Renmanco said:

laxdaddy said:

JiveHawk said:

Like Abrams?
    Yep. A serviceable big body who knows his role is to rebound and defend.
    7 rebounds today. Drew a couple fouls. I'll take it until Curry comes in.
    AORedHawk33Nickskin
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    grumpy1 said:

Renmanco said:

laxdaddy said:

JiveHawk said:

Like Abrams?
    I was thinking like Sibande, Adaway or Ringo. He got them all in the Spring.
    digitalhawk
    Offered by Toledo
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Hope we are staying on his a lot. Garcia is a tremendous talent. 
    aba222
    James Madison offers
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Garcia had 32 in leading his team to a win over Wayne in Flyin' to the Hoop.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    I wish him well and think he will do great, but our "replacement" is a legit contender for player of the year in Ohio
    Bash_Riprock
    will prep a year and has reclassified to 2020
    Gong to Brewster Prep