Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

The one about Akron not letting Allie Cummins out of NLI to play at Miami

Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
edited August 2018 in Softball
This is an interesting story

University of Akron environment made Lakota West grad 'uncomfortable' but UA won't overturn letter of intent

https://cin.ci/2BTJOg4

Comments

• Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Horrible
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Akron sucks. And what they are doing sucks more. 
    AORedHawk33
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    They're not known as the Zips for nothing.
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    Jason Grunkemeyer released from scholarship by Ohio to transfer to Miami for basketball
    Nate Schindewolf released from scholarship by Miami to transfer to Akron for basketball
    Ryan Hawk released from scholarship by Miami to transfer to Ohio

...lots of other examples as well.

Too bad Akron is standing in the way of student athletes.  Not a good precedent to set
    Especially when there is underage drinking and smoking involved...
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

Good thing none of our athletic teams engage in such behavior. 
    redhawk11skin66mooseQuinoaburgerChiefPanic
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Off-Campus Slummer
    yanksalex said:

Spanks004 said:

I suppose saying you don't want to go to Akron because they were 4-43-1 last season won't win your NLI appeal, but stuff like this with incoming athletes (as opposed to transfers) is particularly stupid.  When the kid hasn't even set foot on campus yet, just release them and move on to the next one.     
    thechuck_2112Quinoaburger
    yanksalex said:

Spanks004 said:

Ha obviously not...but this young woman doesn't want to take part, and if it's being shown through text messages, just let her go where she wants to go. Akron is being quite petty
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    I dropped the Head Coach, Julie Jones, a nice note via email expressing my opinion on the subject.  Probably blocked by now.  You can let her know how you feel.  #FreeAllieCummins

jj39@uakron.edu

AORedHawk33
    grumpy1 said:

I dropped the Head Coach, Julie Jones, a nice note via email expressing my opinion on the subject.  Probably blocked by now.  You can let her know how you feel.  #FreeAllieCummins

jj39@uakron.edu

Same
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Social Media option

ESPN’s Jay Bilas tweeted the article tonight saying it’s bullshit of Akron
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    What an embarrassment. I’d be ashamed if I was a fan of this school.
  • Spanks004 said:

Well Jay Bills, you’re 4 days behind the story on the Miami boards.
  • MazMaz Off-Campus Slummer

Spanks004 said:

I'd imagine that MAC softball recruiting is not exactly on the top of his daily news stack.  I'm willing to give him a little slack and a little credit for bringing some additional attention to it.  (And I generally find him a preening, self-important gasbag ... so, that's an admission against interest.)
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

I'd imagine that MAC softball recruiting is not exactly on the top of his daily news stack.  I'm willing to give him a little slack and a little credit for bringing some additional attention to it.
      (And I generally find him a preening, self-important gasbag ... so, that's an admission against interest.)
    Agreed. Can't belly ache about lack of MAC/Miami coverage and then complain if it happens a few days late.
    Bash_Riprockskin66
    I think he was being sarcastic. We should all be happy he mentioned it regardless
  • MazMaz Off-Campus Slummer
    Spanks004 said:

I think he was being sarcastic. We should all be happy he mentioned it regardless

I just wanted to call Bilas a gasbag.
    Bash_RiprockAORedHawk33
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    I'm sorry.  Did y'all say Akron was 4-43 last season? Given the way NLIs work, Ms Cummins is likely to be under a contractual obligation to the University of Akron longer than that coach.  
  • There are plenty of lawyers on this board from what I've gathered over the years. So possibly one of you can address or speak to the fact that if she signed a letter of intent as a minor to attend Akron that such document could be argued to be voidable due to the fact she was a minor at the time and has the option to void the contract due to her age. I'm in no way a lawyer or law expert but I could see this used as a argument in court in the future for athletes to explore. Perhaps someone can address this and shed some light on it.
  • There are plenty of lawyers on this board from what I've gathered over the years. So possibly one of you can address or speak to the fact that if she signed a letter of intent as a minor to attend Akron that such document could be argued to be voidable due to the fact she was a minor at the time and has the option to void the contract due to her age. I'm in no way a lawyer or law expert but I could see this used as a argument in court in the future for athletes to explore. Perhaps someone can address this and shed some light on it.

That same argument helped Jim Carrey void the prenup in Liar Liar so it has to be valid!

That same argument helped Jim Carrey void the prenup in Liar Liar so it has to be valid!
  • Spanks004 said:

See my threads about Lord Stanley's Cup coming to Oxford and Urban Meyer being suspended.  Spanks is right.
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    Spanks004 said:

Bilas has a history of speaking out in support of college athletes.  I don't think he was being sarcastic at all.
    redhawk11ChiefPanic
    grumpy1 said:

Spanks004 said:

Bilas has a history of speaking out in support of college athletes.  I don't think he was being sarcastic at all.
    Im not talking about Bilas at all. I’m talking about the “four days late”
    grumpy1
  • Spanks004 said:

grumpy1 said:

Spanks004 said:

Im not talking about Bilas at all. I’m talking about the “four days late”
    It's that WOL/GWOC knowledge coming thru there.  Recognize!
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    UPDATE. Allie Cummins appeal has been DENIED.  She will lose 1-year of eligibility as Akron won't release her from her NLI and the NLI Appeals Committee denies her request. 

“We met with five commissioners from different conferences across the
    country,” Daryl Cummins said. “They basically come back and say your
    appeal is denied, no reason given. It’s like the lady told me: ‘In my 12
    years of being here, less than a handful of people have ever been
    released.’ To me that seems to be a slight flaw in the system because
    the NCAA and the NLI certainly aren’t looking out for the
    student-athlete if the numbers are that bad.” 
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    It’s all on Akron. The NLI system is what it is and creates a binding contract. If they started granting appeals, it would become a mess, akin to free agency. Feel bad for the girl, but it’s not the NCAA’s fault. It’s that Akron sucks rubber pellets.
    AORedHawk33dave67
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Akron could let her out. They aren’t. It’s on the Zips. They suck.
    AORedHawk33dave67
    @AkronZips

Tweet away...