Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019 Cincinnati Reds thread

Would you consider it?

According to a person familiar with the Padres’ offseason interests, among the players the team covets is Reds third baseman Eugenio Suarez...

Comments

• TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Is Homer Bailey still somehow considered the #1 pitcher on the team?
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:

Would you consider it?

According to a person familiar with the Padres’ offseason interests, among the players the team covets is Reds third baseman Eugenio Suarez...

No, I don't think so, although  really, you would have to see the package of players being offered.  Suarez is the team's most valueable asset for the next 6 years, it would be similar to the 4 for 1 Latos trade with San Diego, only in reverse, with the Reds getting the prospects and the Padres getting the stud.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    elpalito said:

Is Homer Bailey still somehow considered the #1 pitcher on the team?

Only if you go by salary.
    DICK said:

TruckCrew said:

Would you consider it?

No, I don't think so, although  really, you would have to see the package of players being offered.  Suarez is the team's most valueable asset for the next 6 years, it would be similar to the 4 for 1 Latos trade with San Diego, only in reverse, with the Reds getting the prospects and the Padres getting the stud.
    Don’t necessarily disagree, but the Padres have 3 of the top 6 prospects in MLB in their pipeline with SS Fernando Tatis Jr being the top ranked prospect in the game. And Tatis is already in AA as a 19 year old - 286/355/507 last year. In 2020 Senzel to third, Tatis to short, peraza to 2b. Just a thought.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Looking at it that way, I guess it would really depend on who and what they offer.
    Kluber, Carrasco, Sonny Gray on Reds radar.

Indians fans? What would you want?

https://fancredsports.com/Articles/inside-baseball-mlb-notes-realmuto-trade-market
    Reds non-tender Billy Hamilton, making him a free agent.

https://twitter.com/ctrent/status/1068600499723739136?s=21
    Mowch
    Hot Stove on high tonight in Redsland, with biggest rumors swirling around Reds/Dodgers/Indians with the names Puig, Wood, Kemp, Kluber, and Bailey being tossed into the fray.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:

Hot Stove on high tonight in Redsland, with biggest rumors swirling around Reds/Dodgers/Indians with the names Puig, Wood, Kemp, Kluber, and Bailey being tossed into the fray.

Who do the Reds have that the Dodgers would want though?
    If you believe the rumors (which is a challenge this time of year) there are one of two things happening:

1. Reds/Dodgers/Indians in 3-way conversations that send Kluber to the Dodgers and Puig/Wood to the Reds. (Indians probably get an OFer from the Reds)
    2. Reds send Bailey and a prospect to the Dodgers for salary relief.
  • TruckCrew said:

If you believe the rumors (which is a challenge this time of year) there are one of two things happening:

1. Reds/Dodgers/Indians in 3-way conversations that send Kluber to the Dodgers and Puig/Wood to the Reds. (Indians probably get an OFer from the Reds)

I make the first trade 2 times out of 10.

I make the second trade 11 times out of 10.
    AORedHawk33
    edited December 2018

TruckCrew said:

I make the first trade 2 times out of 10.

I make the second trade 11 times out of 10.
    What don’t you like about rumor #1?

What if the prospect in rumor #2 was Senzel/Greene/Trammell?

Said another way: not enough concrete info for me to say which is preferred.
  • TruckCrew said:

Who do the Reds have that the Dodgers would want though?
    Rumor is the Reds give Bailey and some top prospects in exchange for Puig. The prospects are supposedly worth a fair deal more than Puig would command because the Dodgers will take on the rest of Bailey’s contract.

This means Bailey will suddenly be 15-6 with a 2.5 ERA next year.
  • The_RockThe_Rock Havighurstite
    Rumor I'm seeing is Puig plus Wood, maybe with Bailey coming back, but mostly as a way to shed salary so the Dodgers can pursue high-priced free agents.  Both Puig and Wood are on one year contracts, so I would be hesitant to give up anything of value for them, as I see no way the Reds compete next year.  In fact, I would expect some prospect capital in return.  But just taking on salary, maybe get a decent prospect kicker in return, I'd be all for that, especially since the Reds have to overpay to get any non-desperate free agent to come here.  Maybe if the team showed this year they could be more competitive with a decent pitcher or two, they could be more attractive to free agents next off-season.  And also, next off-season, The team will know whether Senzel is legit, Tramell is ready, and Bailey's money would be off the books, giving them a ton of free money next off-season.  
  • Any thoughts on Tulowitzki getting picked up? The Reds do well on reclamation projects.

Any thoughts on Tulowitzki getting picked up? The Reds do well on reclamation projects.

Where does he play?
  • TruckCrew said:

Any thoughts on Tulowitzki getting picked up? The Reds do well on reclamation projects.

Where does he play?
    on the field presumably
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Senior Barfly
    TruckCrew said:

Where does he play?
    Infield, SS or 2B I believe. 
    Who does he “unseat” was my question. Peraza or Scooter. And remember, you’re getting the 2017 and 2018 Tulo. Not the other version.
    Re6H5wk
  • TruckCrew said:

Where does he play?
    Recently with the Blue Jays at short stop. Missed all last season. Blue Jays cut him yesterday, they still owe him $34 million the next 2 years. But now Tulowitzki is willing to play any position on the field.

TruckCrew said:

Where does he play?
    Recently with the Blue Jays at short stop. Missed all last season. Blue Jays cut him yesterday, they still owe him $34 million the next 2 years. But now Tulowitzki is willing to play any position on the field.
    Looks like we posted at the same time - I know he's a shortstop and willing to play whereverbut he is 34-years old and has been a shell of his former self since 2015 (94 OPS+ in 2016 and 2017). For reference, Peraza's OPS+ last year was 97. I wouldn't see him cracking the starting lineup. 
  • TruckCrew said:

TruckCrew said:

Where does he play?
    Looks like we posted at the same time - I know he's a shortstop and willing to play whereverbut he is 34-years old and has been a shell of his former self since 2015 (94 OPS+ in 2016 and 2017). For reference, Peraza's OPS+ last year was 97. I wouldn't see him cracking the starting lineup. 
    I’d just be nice to have someone with that level of experience, and past knowledge, with the team. Worked for Matt Harvey last year.

The_Rock said:

Rumor I'm seeing is Puig plus Wood, maybe with Bailey coming back, but mostly as a way to shed salary so the Dodgers can pursue high-priced free agents.  Both Puig and Wood are on one year contracts, so I would be hesitant to give up anything of value for them, as I see no way the Reds compete next year.  In fact, I would expect some prospect capital in return.  But just taking on salary, maybe get a decent prospect kicker in return, I'd be all for that, especially since the Reds have to overpay to get any non-desperate free agent to come here.  Maybe if the team showed this year they could be more competitive with a decent pitcher or two, they could be more attractive to free agents next off-season.  And also, next off-season, The team will know whether Senzel is legit, Tramell is ready, and Bailey's money would be off the books, giving them a ton of free money next off-season.  

Cincinnati.com had a good look at why it make sense for the Dodgers to take on Bailey's salary. Vlad Gutteriez (Reds #9 prospect) was the name being thrown around last night. 
    Reds add Tanner Roark in a trade with the Nationals for minor league pitcher Tanner Rainey. 

Dodgers/Reds rumors still percolating about this morning - will be interesting to see if that one gets done. 

Additionally, the Reds were reported to have an interest in Marlins catcher JT Realmuto. 
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Why was the name 'Tanner' so popular amongst new parents 25ish years ago?
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2018
    elpalito said:

Wasn't “Tanner” the last name of Bob Saget’s character on “Full House”? Cause if not, then it’s the name of every character played by William Zabka or James Spader in 1980’s films.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

elpalito said:

Wasn't “Tanner” the last name of Bob Saget’s character on “Full House”? Cause if not, then it’s the name of every character played by William Zabka or James Spader in 1980’s films.
    Danny Tanner, bruh!
    Re6H5wk