Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Ball St. Game

Miami opens up -17. When was the last time we were favored by that much against an FBS team?

Comments

• Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum

Miami opens up -17. When was the last time we were favored by that much against an FBS team?

I would easily take Ball state. While i think we win this, it’s going to be close. Ball state has to be confident after beating WMU
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

I would easily take Ball state. While i think we win this, it’s going to be close. Ball state has to be confident after beating WMU
    I would agree. They looked way better last week than I thought. This is a scary game.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

Agreed. I would be surprised if we lose this, but I don't feel we are 17 points better than the Cards, even with a trophy on the line. ;) I have a feeling we will lead by 17 or more at one point, but then we'll go into our shell late and won't cover. That said, I don't care if we win by 1 or 30. There are no style points for this game.
  • Miami opens up -17. When was the last time we were favored by that much against an FBS team?

Weren't we favored by 20 against BG?

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/team/miami-ohio-redhawks
  • Re6H5wk said:

Or Kent then, I'm not sure. But yeah 17 is too high imo.
    The money line for the BSU game is Miami -775, which Alex and others will tell you is huge.
  • Re6H5wk said:

Or Kent then, I'm not sure. But yeah 17 is too high imo.
    It looks like Kent was only -11.5.
  • Miami opens up -17. When was the last time we were favored by that much against an FBS team?

Upon further research, it looks like it was last year's game against Ball St., which was -17.5.
    Re6H5wkDICK

UVA is favored in Blacksburg for the first time since the 1990s, so it’s the year for this sort of thing.
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly

UVA is favored in Blacksburg for the first time since the 1990s, so it’s the year for this sort of thing.
    Tech losing at ODU this year is one of the greatest bed-sh!!!ngs of all time. UVA has better beat this Tech team or it needs to give up on the ACC for good.
  • What channel is the game on? I’m having the Bingo Hall show it.
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum

What channel is the game on? I’m having the Bingo Hall show it.

=>Are you 85 years old?

AORedHawk33Bash_RiprockLove_and_Honor
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    mollautt said:

=>Are you 85 years old?

Bingo Hall is Fatespeak for strip club!! 
    muredhawks22thechuck_2112
  • mpurdy22mpurdy22 Havighurstite
    I am going Miami 35 - 10 on the Win tonight, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does come down to Chuck playing bunch formation to keep the lead again; Ball State gave Notre Dame fits! and just won last week against Western.
  • muredhawks22muredhawks22 Havighurstite
    I would love to see us cover the spread, and hope the final score is relatively close to that spread.  While BSU has improved, I think WMU is a shell of its former self, so I take that victory with a huge grain of salt.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum

Not on a channel. It is on espn plus- the $5 a month streaming service that ESPN has
  • Why in the world are we playing on a Tuesday night if the game is not televised?
    digitalhawk
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    For the big walk up crowd expected! (Ducking)
    skin66
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    Prediction:  Cardinal feathers everywhere.  
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

Why in the world are we playing on a Tuesday night if the game is not televsed.

Part our ESPN contract which pays us almost a million dollars per year.  They chose the WM-NIU game over ours for ESPNU.  You can watch the game on ESPN+ for a small fee, which is one way ESPN recoups some of their payouts.  If we played this game on Friday afternoon ( the other possibility), attendance would also be very low.

redhawk11
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    Hope team wins and gets a bowl somehow. Students are gone right?  So there will be a very small crowd.
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    mollautt said:

=>Are you 85 years old?

He's not, but I am.  You got a problem with that?
    Bash_Riprock
  • rexjack53 said:

Hope team wins and gets a bowl somehow. Students are gone right?  So there will be a very small crowd.

I never left for Thanksgiving break until Wednesday. There should be plenty of students on campus. Whether they show up at Yager is another story.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Have you seen how we nurse a lead? Ball with the points is a lock of the millennium of the week.
    redhawk11grumpy1
  • rexjack53 said:

I never left for Thanksgiving break until Wednesday. There should be plenty of students on campus. Whether they show up at Yager is another story.
    I graduated this year. Most everyone I knew left on Tuesday, but that was just my experience.  During the fabled 0-6 -> 6-6 season, there were some students who stayed for the game (there was a decent amount of hype due to the possibility of making history) but the crowd was probably half the size it was for the CMU game that year.  Considering the size of the student crowd we saw for the OU game, I would be very surprised if there was much of a student presence. 
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    I graduated in 1984 so forgot when the Thanksgiving break began. Just hope team and staff are not uptight tonight.

• Bluesman said:

mollautt said:

=>Are you 85 years old?

Bingo Hall is Fatespeak for strip club!! 
    I'll pick you up, in time, for the all you can eat dinner buffet.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum

Have you seen how we nurse a lead? Ball with the points is a lock of the millennium of the week.

I think our line at halftime of the OU game grew to 19 points. There wasn't a chance in hell we were winning that game by 3 touchdowns.

• NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2018
    I have visions of Ball State playing like they did against Notre Dame. I hope I’m wrong.