Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

WSU

Comments

• Re6H5wk said:

Re6H5wk said:

Re6H5wk said:

They hit an off-balance 3 to tie with 6.3 left. Going to be a real shame for these fans when Ringo hits at the buzzer.

Clearly I spelled ICL wrong. Darn autocorrect.
    Have a safe ride home!
    You too! Thanks for the heads up on the ticket promotion.
    You’re welcome! I paid $10 and sat center court.

Re6H5wk
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    dudis41 said:

muhawk said:

Lands-Coleman/Landis Coleman

Jalen Alanway
    Nike Seebandeye/Zimbandi/Zimbabwe/Simbandeye
    Redskins
    Irregardless

God I'm so glad I don't have to hear these jackasses again this season.

Kind of a shame since the play by play guy had a good voice. Too bad he couldn’t read...

Boom goes the dynamite?

• mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    I'm going to stick up for Coach Brown as he was my high school coach at Northmont.  If you remember, that's where Kenny Hayes came from and if it wasn't for the great relationship Charlie and Coach Brown had, Kenny probably wouldn't have come to Miami.  Yeah, Coach isn't as smooth as others and I cringed at 'Redskins' and some of the names.  However, he's forgotten more basketball than most announcers know, including one of ours.  Whenever I listen to Coach talk about possessions and their importance, it reminds me of practice.  We valued every possession.  In practice, we'd go best of 5 or 7 and if the 1st or 2nd string won, the other ran.

As for the game, I thought our effort was a lot better.  We went after loose balls with more intensity.  We hit the glass hard.  That, along with some clutch shooting was why we won the game.  Bowman is doing a good job of playing within himself.  He's making good decisions offensively and he's been a presence defensively.  Wright St. came out in zone on the last play and Bam was smart enough to just pick off enough of the low wing defender to allow ICL to catch and shoot.  The guys that came off the bench played well.  I hope ICL keeps getting more minutes as he finds his rhythm.  He may be our smartest player.  He takes good shots, distributes the ball, and plays hard every minute he's out there.  I'd like to see more of Lairy.  I thought Coach waited too long to put him in the game in the 2nd half.

I thought we were a little better defensively, but this was probably the least impressive offensive team I've seen Scott Nagy have when I've been able to watch his South Dakota St. or Wright St. team.  We were ok defensively in the 1st half, but Wright St. got smart in the 2nd half and ran more pick and roll and drove to the basket.  If they had more weapons they would've beaten us.  So I think the defense still needs a lot of work.

They would've beaten us because we don't move the ball on offense consistently.  We should've been up by at least 15 at halftime but we committed 8 turnovers.  Sibande hurt us, at both ends.  He's our worst ball handler and our worst defender.  I know he was our most highly touted recruit, but if I were Coach, I'd be seriously thinking about cutting back his time until I see more from him at both ends.  His saving grace defensively is his rebounding.  We also got nothing from Ringo until the end of the game, where he made a couple of great drives to the basket.  But he only had 2 assists tonight.  He needs to make a bigger impact on the game.

Coach did a great job of calling set plays at the end of the game and we executed well.  I think he needs to take more control offensively.  When we move the ball, we get good looks or driving lanes to the basket.  

I'm trying not to be too down.  We haven't won at the Nuthouse in a little while.  This type of win should give the guys some confidence they can win close games.  But there's still quite a bit of work to do if we're going to have the season we all hope we'll have.
    agcmuhoopsjunkieAORedHawk3329redhawk
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Only 3 minutes for McNamara tonight, any idea why? Matchups?
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

I would prefer the other Jim Brown announce this game.

Jim Brown is the high school coach of both Kenny Hayes and our own mz343.  He was also at one time the head coach at Wright State.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    aba222 said:

aba222 said:

Nike is a ball hog. Ringo seems like he is in a fog.

“And up the court, they run not jog!” - Dr. Seusse really battles.
    ”And Abrams feet are stuck in a bog.” - R. Allendorf
    The Dorf!  He was a very smart guy.  But it is a good comparison, both had to work very hard because nothing came naturally or easy.  Abrams is growing on me, he really battles. 
    Re6H5wkAORedHawk33skins
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Brown is indeed a good guy. I liked Ralph Underhill too. I sat down with him for a piece for Dayton Magazine. I'm still miffed by his "sticky fingers."
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2018
    ICL #3 on SportsCenter's Top 10. (and they got his name right.)

Not much audio, but it is 1am after all:
    https://twitter.com/WahooRubio1809/status/1070559752898392069?s=19
    JiveHawkredhawk11Bash_RiprockSpanks004DICKmuhund04
  • DICK said:

aba222 said:

aba222 said:

Nike is a ball hog. Ringo seems like he is in a fog.

“And up the court, they run not jog!” - Dr. Seusse really battles.
    ”And Abrams feet are stuck in a bog.” - R. Allendorf
    The Dorf!  He was a very smart guy.  But it is a good comparison, both had to work very hard because nothing came naturally or easy.  Abrams is growing on me, he really battles. 
    Richard CHAD ALLENdorf
    mollautt
  • Re6H5wk said:

ICL #3 on SportsCenter's Top 10. (and they got his name right.)

Not much audio, but it is 1am after all:
    https://twitter.com/WahooRubio1809/status/1070559752898392069?s=19

Just saw it this morning. But at 6:50am.
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    We really need Ringo to either (1) finish stronger at the basket; or (2) substantially improve his free throw shooting. Preferably both.
  • Outside of using the old nickname from time to time, Jim Brown was fine as a color analyst. It was the play-by-play guy (Chris Collins??) who was butchering everyone's name last night. 
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2018

Outside of using the old nickname from time to time, Jim Brown was fine as a color analyst. It was the play-by-play guy (Chris Collins??) who was butchering everyone's name last night. 

So based on last night’s evidence, that means his name might actually be something such as Collin Christopherson.
    redhawk11Bash_Riprock
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

Outside of using the old nickname from time to time, Jim Brown was fine as a color analyst. It was the play-by-play guy (Chris Collins??) who was butchering everyone's name last night. 

Their PxP guy was horrid. Like, horrid. Only rivaled by Montana's (?) announcer in the tourney.
  • Outside of using the old nickname from time to time, Jim Brown was fine as a color analyst. It was the play-by-play guy (Chris Collins??) who was butchering everyone's name last night. 

I've known Coach Brown for years, too.  Classy guy.  If he used the name Redskins a few times during the broadcast, I'm good with it.  He knows more about basketball that I could ever hope to begin to understand.  Chris Collins?  He's normally right on with names.  But if you haven't seen the Miami roster until the night of the game, then yeah, there could be some mispronunciations.  
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2018
    But as the PBP guy, it’s part of your job to have the rosters memorized. And it’s not like it’s a football roster with dozens of names and duplicate numbers. It should be fairly simply to lock down the b-ball teams, especially a team that is local to the area. He screwed up the name of the guy who hit the buzzer beater (and he screwed it up in multiple ways) and it’s not even a hard name to say.

Last night’s broadcast reminded me of the infamous NMU hockey broadcast from a decade ago. The big exception was the NMU guy wasn’t on an ESPN-affiliated broadcast at that time.
    JiveHawkBash_Riprockredhawk11Re6H5wk
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum

I've known Coach Brown for years, too.  Classy guy.  If he used the name Redskins a few times during the broadcast, I'm good with it.  He knows more about basketball that I could ever hope to begin to understand.  Chris Collins?  He's normally right on with names.  But if you haven't seen the Miami roster until the night of the game, then yeah, there could be some mispronunciations.  
    They were also homers the entire game. Nice guy, sure, but maybe just not a good broadcaster. It was brutal to listen to.
    redhawk11mrgredhawk
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    Spanks004 said:

They were also homers the entire game. Nice guy, sure, but maybe just not a good broadcaster. It was brutal to listen to.
    They're the Wright St. radio team, what do you expect?  Bake is a homer and I wouldn't expect anything else.  I thought Coach Brown criticized both teams at points during the game.  But he's going to be for Wright St. at the end.
    Re6H5wkBash_RiprockRHawksAlumniDICK
  • mz343 said:

Spanks004 said:

They're the Wright St. radio team, what do you expect?  Bake is a homer and I wouldn't expect anything else.  I thought Coach Brown criticized both teams at points during the game.  But he's going to be for Wright St. at the end.
    I've worked with Bake for basketball games. He always preached to the team that basketball was supposed to be a neutral broadcast because it was ESPN, and he always did his best to treat it as such.  Radio is a different story.
    JiveHawk
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    mz343 said:

Spanks004 said:

Bake is nowhere near the homer that we listened to last night. Every time Bam was playing D it was a foul. Every time WSU missed a shot and was contact just kept mentioning refs letting them play. The only time he stood up for Miami was when Lairy or ICL was called with hitting the dude in the face and they looked to see if flagrant...
    MHT_Meme_TeamJiveHawkAORedHawk33
  • Spanks004 said:

mz343 said:

Spanks004 said:

Bake is nowhere near the homer that we listened to last night. Every time Bam was playing D it was a foul. Every time WSU missed a shot and was contact just kept mentioning refs letting them play. The only time he stood up for Miami was when Lairy or ICL was called with hitting the dude in the face and they looked to see if flagrant...
    +1. I've never heard Bake scream "YES!!!" when Miami made a big play like those guys did last night when they hit the game-tying 3.  All of these ESPN3 broadcasts are going to have a little bias because the guys calling the game are almost always fans of the home team. That being said, the WSU broadcast last night was pretty bad, and way more biased than what we produce   
    JiveHawk
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    I don't mind biased homers, but they lost me when they claimed post play in college basketball is more physical than it has ever been.
    AORedHawk33DICK
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

I don't mind biased homers, but they lost me when they claimed post play in college basketball is more physical than it has ever been.

=>There is some truth to that as players are now bigger, faster, and stronger than ever due to natural advances in sport science, technologies, and medicine.

Quinoaburger
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2018
    Spanks004 said:

mz343 said:

Spanks004 said:

Spanks, you know as I do. And NickSkin can attest to this as well. You want “Homers” on radio? Turn into the Dayton Flyers men’s basketball. And for a drinking game, everytime Bucky Bockhorn say, “Let me tell you just one thing” or “Let me just say one thing”, you do a shot of your hardest booze.

When Larry Hansgan and Bucky call a game, it sounds like a high end robbery heist is taking place. It’s wonderful!

Spanks004EDDIE
  • skins said:
    Miami was a university before Wright was even a state!
    QuinoaburgerDICK
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2018
    Confirmed it is Chris Collins call.  He is the voice of Wright State and THIS is his twitter handle:

• As long as the announcer isn't doing the "YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOOOOOOOAAARRRDD, YAS" schtick Hawk Harrelson did with the White Sox, it could be worse.
    redhawk11Re6H5wkQuinoaburger
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    Nice win! 
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2018

Why do you think there's a Millett Hall on WSU's campus?

Here's more

And a picture of what Miami University - Ohio State University was to look like: