Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019 Detroit Tigers discussion

May as well get this off to an accurate start.
Re6H5wkdave67

Comments

• JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Another year to bone up on the Rule 5 draft rules.
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    It kills me that they wasted their last few years of competitiveness, when they had the great veterans, by hiring young, inexperienced Brad Ausmus to succeed Leyland. If they could have gotten Gardenhire then or someone like Francona, I firmly believe they could have made another deep run before Ilitch's passing.

But now, this team is rough. Ownership is a collection of descendants who don't seem to care about the club, Al Avila may have been adequate as Dave Dombrowski's lackey, but he's no Dave Dombrowski. The current state of our beloved Tigers makes me sad.
    Dombrowski sucked. He hired Assmus.
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    They hung on to the veterans too long, especially Victor Martinez.  After 2015?, they should have traded Verlander when they could've gotten something for him and built around Scherzer.  The team got caught trying to win for Ilitch before he died so they only thought about the short-term.
    JohnnyMac said:

Dave Dombrowski who took over as GM during one of the worst periods in Tigers history that saw them tie the AL record for losses in a season, and, subsequently built them into a perennial contender that won 2 pennants? Sucked? Agree to disagree, John. And it sure didn't take the Red Sox long to scoop him up after he was given the boot.

JohnnyMac said:

Dave Dombrowski who took over as GM during one of the worst periods in Tigers history that saw them tie the AL record for losses in a season, and, subsequently built them into a perennial contender that won 2 pennants? Sucked? Agree to disagree, John. And it sure didn't take the Red Sox long to scoop him up after he was given the boot.
    He didn’t get it done. Period.

He had a blank check from Mr. I and would never spend the last $10M on a closer. We got a dozen years of PaPa Grande, Benoit, Phil Coke and the washed-up twins Joe Nathan and K-Rod. All while letting Fernando Rodney and Andrew Miller get away.

Don’t even get me started on the starters he signed vs. the ones he didn’t.

• Was PaPa Grande also going around insisting all was well?
    The_Sackmandave67
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    The original financial sin was Miggy’s contract. I understand why they did it, and Mr I was a sentimental guy, but if they had let him walk like St Louis did with Pujols, they’d probably still have Verlander and Scherzer today.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    The Victor Martinez extension was also a terrible mistake.
    Yup.  It's a bad contract.  Mr I had a lot of very positive qualities and made Detroit baseball immeasurably better, but he was loyal to his veterans to a fault.  
    JohnnyMachawkattack06
    Fulmer needs Tommy John.
    edited March 28
    Tigers pictures throw nine shut out innings.
    Tiger batters shut out for nine innings.
    Disaster averted in 10th.
    Tigers in 1st place!
    That was a heck of an opener. 6 2/3 perfect innings for Zimmermann and a 10th inning dinger for the win.

Hated to see our guys strike out that many times though. Need to work on that this season.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    The AL Central might be the first division where the winner loses 100 games and has a run differential of -1000.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    The Twins could  have a winning record, they have made several nice upgrades.
    ChrisW1980
    Tigers yet to score in innings 1-9.
    Tigers get 2 hits today. Now batting .156 as a team.
    I still don't understand how Mahtook is starting on a major league roster. It befuddled me last season, but at this point, I think the Tigers may just be trolling us.
    Another brilliant pitching performance from Zimmermann tonight, but again, he didn't get the decision. Some big late knocks got them the win in Yankee Stadium though. Back to .500, 3-3.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Gross game tonight.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

Gross game tonight.

Gross game yesterday afternoon.
    The_Sackmanprofholt82
    Taking a winning 4-3 record into this afternoon's home opener against the Royals. Thanks, New York!
    7th inning grand slam to retake the lead for good. Record improves to 6-3.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    I got heckled a bit when I picked up Shane Greene late in my fantasy draft ( "He will get you a few saves, but will have an ERA of 5"),  but he now has saved all 6 Tiger wins and is still unscored on.  I don't think anybody else has more than 3 saves so far.
    profholt82

The AL Central might be the first division where the winner loses 100 games and has a run differential of -1000.

Or, both wild cards come from the AL Central!
    Re6H5wk
    With today's win over the Injuns, Shane Greene became the fastest pitcher to get to 8 saves since MLB began tracking the statistic.
    DICK
    edited May 8
    (Future Tiger) Casey Mize threw a no-no in Erie tonight.
    (Former Tiger) Mike Fiers three a no-no against Cincinnati last night.