Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019 Detroit Tigers discussion

2»

Comments

• profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    edited September 2019
    3 AL East crowns and a WS ring in a little less than 4 seasons. Brutal.

Edit:
    Coincidentally, his Tigers won 4 AL Central crowns in his last 4 1/2 seasons before they gave him the boot. Some franchises just hate success it seems.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

3 AL East crowns and a WS ring in a little less than 4 seasons. Brutal.

Edit:
    Coincidentally, his Tigers won 4 AL Central crowns in his last 4 1/2 seasons before they gave him the boot. Some franchises just hate success it seems.

Ask Dusty Baker about that....Tigers are 42-100, 20 games to go.  When I went to 4 Tigers games in July, the Detroit News ran a study of the worst teams in baseball history.  I think the expansion Mets lost 120 games.  The Tigers would have to lose all 20 remaining games to tie that record.

In the last 3 years, at the trade deadline, the Tigers traded away the guy who was the best player traded for the rest of the year.  JD Martinez, Justin Verlander, and Nick Castellanos.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    The Dombrowski M.O. is to trade away half the farm system and try to win now.  It worked pretty well in Detroit except for getting over the final hurdle in the World Series.  And it worked in Boston.  But when the window of contention closes, it pretty much slams shut on your fingers.  The Tigers may have the makings of a decent major league roster -- but it was all in Erie this season.  I've watched about 100 games, but it has been painful.  
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Take that, Yankee!
  • JohnnyMac said:

Take that, Yankee!

Someone isn't serious about that #1 pick apparently.
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    DevilGrad said:

The Dombrowski M.O. is to trade away half the farm system and try to win now.  It worked pretty well in Detroit except for getting over the final hurdle in the World Series.  And it worked in Boston.  But when the window of contention closes, it pretty much slams shut on your fingers.  The Tigers may have the makings of a decent major league roster -- but it was all in Erie this season.  I've watched about 100 games, but it has been painful.  

A lot of mid/small-market are run that way.  Trade the farm when you have a window of opportunity.  KC was the last to do it.  The Tribe front office took a unique path to try and remain competitive over a longer term.  We will see how it plays out.  I prefer the Indians method because watching and rooting for Detroit or KC would be brutal right now.  An astute front office is required in all but the big markets because they can't afford to make big dollar or long-term mistakes.   
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    Not just a small/mid market thing. Houston and the Cubs have taken the “tear down to the bottom, build up thru draft and trades” model and done quite well.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    “Tear it down and build for five years down the road” may have worked once or twice, but now is just the newest cop-out by owners greedily pocketing money.
    DICK
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

“Tear it down and build for five years down the road” may have worked once or twice, but now is just the newest cop-out by owners greedily pocketing money.

When one or two or three teams were doing that, it worked out very well for many of them.  Now that 8-10 teams are trying that method, it does not seem to be working for anyone.  I am hopeful that the Reds have given up on that and are trying some different ideas.  The Indians have long been big on signing young stars to long term deals after a couple of breakout seasons to hold on to them for a longer period of time, but have been unable to get Lindor to sign.  It will be difficult to remain a top notch team when he leaves.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    Certainly wasn’t trying to start a “greedy owner, no such thing as a small market” back-and-forth.
    JohnnyMac