Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019 MLB thread

Comments

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    You can bunt for a hit, especially against the shift. 
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Bunting is like a mid-range jumper. All the stats say it’s not smart, and that’s correct the majority of the time. But, when used correctly, it can be a valuable tool.
    DICKQuinoaburger
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited February 20
    Iam4hawks said:

Wanna fix baseball....

1) Enforce the pace of play rules
    2) Call a letter to the knee strike zone
    4) Move every fence that can be moved back 20 feet back 20 feet. If they can't moved back, make them 10 feet higher 
    5) Adding a bunting competition to the All Star game and make the award for winning twice that of the HR hitting contest
    6) Yes you do have to throw 4 wide for the intentional walk
    7) NO DH Ever, period, for the end of time. 
    I mean, I'm a pretty traditional baseball fan, but this is "get off my lawn" level stuff.
    AORedHawk33redhawk11DICKQuinoaburgerJCook32
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

Bunting is like a mid-range jumper. All the stats say it’s not smart, and that’s correct the majority of the time. But, when used correctly, it can be a valuable tool.

There was absolute hyperbole in my comment on bunting. Just as I hope there was some in the comment about a bunting contest.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Something I have always believed but I have never seen a study done on this issue is that I think bunting puts pressure on the defense and leads to more defensive mistakes ( like throwing to the wrong base) and actual errors.  

Also, it seems to me that fans get really excited when someone beats out a bunt or a bunt forces a fielding error on the other team.  But, I certainly agree with Truck Crew that a sacrifice bunt attempt with a man on first really puts little pressure on the defense and is basically just giving away an out.  Now in a 1 run or tie game in the 9th or extra innings, that is different, you only need one run to win/tie and that might be the correct strategy then, depending on some other variables.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

Iam4hawks said:

Wanna fix baseball....

4) Move every fence that can be moved back 20 feet back 20 feet. If they can't moved back, make them 10 feet higher 
    5) Adding a bunting competition to the All Star game and make the award for winning twice that of the HR hitting contest
    I mean, I'm a pretty traditional baseball fan, but this is "get off my lawn" level stuff.
    Pitchers already dominate. Imagine giving them nip-high strikes!
    redhawk11
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    "I'd also look to put a MLB team in Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic or Cuba. "

While I'd love that for that for the PR, there's no money on the island for it. 
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    You might be able to make the economics work if San Juan, Havana, and Santo Domingo shared a "Caribbean" team and each had 27 home dates that were real events without oversaturating the local economy.  Seems like the numbers would be as good as Miami right now.  
    DICK
    DevilGrad said:

You might be able to make the economics work if San Juan, Havana, and Santo Domingo shared a "Caribbean" team and each had 27 home dates that were real events without oversaturating the local economy.  Seems like the numbers would be as good as Miami right now.  

Very disRE2PECTful.
    Iam4hawks said:

Wanna fix baseball....

How do you feel about pitch clocks? Because they're coming...(for spring training 2019, and maybe an MLB field soon)
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Off-Campus Slummer
    TruckCrew said:

Iam4hawks said:

Wanna fix baseball....

How do you feel about pitch clocks? Because they're coming...(for spring training 2019, and maybe an MLB field soon)
    They are dumb. Baseball’s problem is that the majority of a time a pitch is thrown it is not put in play. Which makes the time between pitches seem like an eternity. Kind of like realizing your windshield wipers are busted and adding more washer fluid instead of fixing the actual underlying issue.

• Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    edited February 23

Re6H5wk said:

Iam4hawks said:

Wanna fix baseball....

I'm tired of seeing crotch high fastball down the heart of the plate called a ball.Want to speed up the game? Call that a strike, make the batter swing the bat. I disagree that pitchers are dominating.  

TruckCrew said:

Iam4hawks said:

Wanna fix baseball....

They are dumb. Baseball’s problem is that the majority of a time a pitch is thrown it is not put in play. Which makes the time between pitches seem like an eternity. Kind of like realizing your windshield wipers are busted and adding more washer fluid instead of fixing the actual underlying issue.

It's dumb because there is already a rule for pitch and delaying the game it's just never called. 

edited February 24
    Pretty awesome article from a couple years ago detailing 2 similar baseball games, 30 years apart, and what factors led to one game being nearly 35 minutes longer:

http://www.sbnation.com/a/mlb-2017-season-preview/game-length
    Iam4hawks said:

Re6H5wk said:

Iam4hawks said:

Wanna fix baseball....

I'm tired of seeing crotch high fastball down the heart of the plate called a ball.Want to speed up the game? Call that a strike, make the batter swing the bat. I disagree that pitchers are dominating.  

TruckCrew said:

Iam4hawks said:

Wanna fix baseball....

It's dumb because there is already a rule for pitch and delaying the game it's just never called. 

So why not add a clock to assist enforcing the rule?
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Iam4hawks said:

Re6H5wk said:

Iam4hawks said:

Wanna fix baseball....

TruckCrew said:

Iam4hawks said:

Wanna fix baseball....

Batters strike out at a higher rate than at any time in the history of MLB, and you think pitchers don’t dominate? I’m a fan of calling the strike zone from the letters to the knees, but “not enough pitches are strikes” is not an actual problem that needs solving.
    Re6H5wkDICK

Iam4hawks said:

Re6H5wk said:

Iam4hawks said:

Wanna fix baseball....

TruckCrew said:

Iam4hawks said:

Wanna fix baseball....

Batters strike out at a higher rate than at any time in the history of MLB, and you think pitchers don’t dominate? I’m a fan of calling the strike zone from the letters to the knees, but “not enough pitches are strikes” is not an actual problem that needs solving.
    I would say more batters are striking out because they are adjusting swings trying to elevate the ball rather than pitchers having actually improved and dominating. Sure there are more strikeouts than ever, but there are also more home runs. In modern baseball the strikeout is not seen as bad or a failure, the ground ball is. Aaron Judge is the epitome the modern ball player. And while strikeouts are at an all time high, so are home runs and walks. 
    I'm just waiting for Oakland or somebody to figure out the next generation of "Moneyball" is that unshiftable, contact hitters are undervalued and underpaid.  It would bring some balance back to the game.  
    Iam4hawks said:

Iam4hawks said:

Re6H5wk said:

Iam4hawks said:

Wanna fix baseball....

TruckCrew said:

Iam4hawks said:

Wanna fix baseball....

I would say more batters are striking out because they are adjusting swings trying to elevate the ball rather than pitchers having actually improved and dominating. Sure there are more strikeouts than ever, but there are also more home runs. In modern baseball the strikeout is not seen as bad or a failure, the ground ball is. Aaron Judge is the epitome the modern ball player. And while strikeouts are at an all time high, so are home runs and walks. 
    “In modern baseball the strikeout is not seen as bad or a failure.”

That gives away your real motivation. This isn’t about there not being enough strikeouts or the strike zone being called incorrectly. It’s that there is a Right Way to Play the Game, and that Platonic ideal doesn’t match with what teams have discovered, through terabytes of data analysis, actually matters for winning games.

If you called the strike zone from the letters to the knees, the data would still say “swing for the fences,” at least until teams developed a truly replicable way of training hitters to hit it where they ain’t. You can teach home runs, but right now, you can’t teach a gapper. Until that changes, the strikeout will simply be seen as the price of doing business.
    JCook32DICK
    I suffered through Plato but didn't particularly enjoy it.  Ideal or not, what I would say is that the type of baseball that is most aesthetically pleasing to me has a decent balance of pitching, hitting, and defense and requires a championship-level team to do all three well.  I was probably in the minority in not particularly enjoying the steroid era's overemphasis on offense, and I thought the balance was pretty good until analytics brought us to this combo of launch-angle hitting and shift-heavy defense that takes a lot of the active defensive plays out of the game.

Teams are going to try to win using the strategies that data bear out today -- and that's a good thing.  But, as I wished for above, I think the long-term answer is for someone to crack the code on how to make gap-hitting more replicable and win a division title or two that way. 
    That’s what they need to be doing. Changing the rules is the wrong way to go about it.
    edited February 25
    I'd like to see an experiment at the minor league level with the minimum three-batters-faced rule.  And I might even be willing to go for rule I've seen proposed that adds a 26th player to the roster but limits the maximum size of pitching staffs.  You could get a new generation of mini-Otani utility players who play a couple of infield spots and then throw middle relief once in a while.  That would be fun.  
    DevilGrad said:

I'd like to see an experiment at the minor league level with the minimum three-batters-faced rule.  And I might even be willing to go for rule I've seen proposed that adds a 26th player to the roster but limits the maximum size of pitching staffs.  You could get a new generation of mini-Otani utility players who play a couple of infield spots and then throw middle relief once in a while.  That would be fun.  

I think roster optimization will be the next fad. Players like Ohtani and Lorenzen who play 5 - 6 days a week at positions including pitcher which could go hand and hand with the 26th roster position. That may be a change once the DH goes National.
    DevilGrad said:

God bless Kike Hernandez and his divide by zero ERA.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    In the past, we have had a very successful MHT Fantasy Baseball League. But it stopped a few years ago, when we weren't able to attract 12 owners (need 12 to avoid "All-Star" lineups).

I would like to bring it back with two changes. The draft will be automated and not live to avoid penalizing owners that could not make it. Also, lineups will be adjusted weekly, and not daily. This is a huge time-saver. Set it and forget it?  Sort of.

Both novice and veteran should enjoy it. Categories and settings will be fairly standard with a cap on transactions.

If interested, send me a pm.
    Developments:

MLB to use independent Atlantic league to test multiple changes including moving back mound using computerized balls and strikes
    redhawk11Iam4hawksDICK

Iam4hawks said:

Iam4hawks said:

Re6H5wk said:

Iam4hawks said:

Wanna fix baseball....

TruckCrew said:

Iam4hawks said:

Wanna fix baseball....

“In modern baseball the strikeout is not seen as bad or a failure.”

That gives away your real motivation. This isn’t about there not being enough strikeouts or the strike zone being called incorrectly. It’s that there is a Right Way to Play the Game, and that Platonic ideal doesn’t match with what teams have discovered, through terabytes of data analysis, actually matters for winning games.

If you called the strike zone from the letters to the knees, the data would still say “swing for the fences,” at least until teams developed a truly replicable way of training hitters to hit it where they ain’t. You can teach home runs, but right now, you can’t teach a gapper. Until that changes, the strikeout will simply be seen as the price of doing business.
    It was made the price artificially. As the players got bigger and stronger and the ball more lively, what did baseball do. It made the parks smaller decreasing the "gap"and making the extra base hit over the fielders head more and more rare. Its also shrunk for ball territory making the upper cut swing more of a tool because the foul pop out is not as much of a factor. https://blogs.fangraphs.com/ballpark-playing-surfaces-are-shrinking-in-a-surprising-way/

DICK
    edited February 27
    TruckCrew said:

Developments:

MLB to use independent Atlantic league to test multiple changes including moving back mound using computerized balls and strikes

I'm not a fan of those changes. I would be in favor experimenting with some kind of stat cast style strike zone connected to sunglasses or inside the umpires mask that would have a red, yellow, and green light that only the umpire could see. Green=ball, red=strike, yellow= a borderline pitch that was purely the umpire's call leaving some human factor involved in the balls and strikes. 
    It's about time, Bryce.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum

It's about time, Bryce.

13 years!? The Phillies are insane.
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    Re6H5wk said:

It's about time, Bryce.

13 years!? The Phillies are insane.
    I'm not sure that 13 years/$330 million is really better than the 10 years/$300 million the Nats offered.  I've heard rumors that the Nats wanted to defer a lot of that money, so I guess that could be a factor ... but, my takeaway is that he didn't really want to stay in DC.