Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019 MLB thread

Comments

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    In his last start Jacob de Grom tied Bob Gibson's record for consecutive quality starts ( I think 26).  Today, in his effort to break the record, he got drilled, giving up 6 runs in 4 innings to the Twins and leaving after 4.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

In his last start Jacob de Grom tied Bob Gibson's record for consecutive quality starts ( I think 26).  Today, in his effort to break the record, he got drilled, giving up 6 runs in 4 innings to the Twins and leaving after 4.

Tonight DeGrom only went 5 innings, so now he has a streak of 2  straight non quality starts.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Last night, after the Reds sudden loss, I turned over to the Indians game and watched the Tribe bat in the top of the 8th.  This was an inning which shows why baseball is in trouble, especially with younger fans.  The Indians sent 8 guys to the plate:  4 walks, 1 HBP, and 3 strikeouts.  So not a single ball put in play.  There were also two wild pitches and a SB.  Two runs scored.  There were also two pitching changes and one long review to determine if a pitch hit the batter or not ( it did, but the only evidence was a slight movement of the jersey).  I am going to guess it was a 30 to 40 minute half inning, without a single ball being put in play.  Not a good look for the sport.
    AORedHawk33
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    If anyone has about an hour to spare during their commute to work, throw on “The Corp” podcast with Big Cat and A-Rod. There is an interview with Gary Vee where they discuss MLBs fan engagement issues and problems with the sport. It was an intriguing listen.
    The_Sackmanredhawk11
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited April 16
    DICK said:

Last night, after the Reds sudden loss, I turned over to the Indians game and watched the Tribe bat in the top of the 8th.  This was an inning which shows why baseball is in trouble, especially with younger fans.  The Indians sent 8 guys to the plate:  4 walks, 1 HBP, and 3 strikeouts.  So not a single ball put in play.  There were also two wild pitches and a SB.  Two runs scored.  There were also two pitching changes and one long review to determine if a pitch hit the batter or not ( it did, but the only evidence was a slight movement of the jersey).  I am going to guess it was a 30 to 40 minute half inning, without a single ball being put in play.  Not a good look for the sport.

Other than the multiple pitching changes (which baseball is doing something about), nothing that happened that inning was baseball's "fault" or indicates the sport is in trouble. What do you want MLB to do? Institute a rule that says two walks max per inning? This comes across as a little "get off my lawn."

PS. The bottom of that 8th inning featured back-to-back HRs and a highlight reel catch by Greg Allen, both of which the younger crowd probably enjoyed, assuming they were still awake. Don't judge an entire game on one half inning.
    JCook32
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

DICK said:

Other than the multiple pitching changes (which baseball is doing something about), nothing that happened that inning was baseball's "fault" or indicates the sport is in trouble. What do you want MLB to do? Institute a rule that says two walks max per inning? This comes across as a little "get off my lawn."

PS. The bottom of that 8th inning featured back-to-back HRs and a highlight reel catch by Greg Allen, both of which the younger crowd probably enjoyed, assuming they were still awake. Don't judge an entire game on one half inning.
    Ban shitty pitchers?
    Quinoaburger

Re6H5wk said:

DICK said:

Ban shitty pitchers?
    That's it.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

DICK said:

Of the rule changes which have been discussed, lowering the mound  or moving it back a couple of feet would probably result in more balls being put in play and more actual action.
    AORedHawk33
    edited April 16
    Didn't they already lower the mound? (I'm being rhetorical; I know they did.)
    Re6H5wk said:

Re6H5wk said:

DICK said:

Ban shitty pitchers?
    That's it.
    Sorry, Chris Sale, your career is over.
    Re6H5wk
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    We are in mid-April and Christian Yelich already has 8 HR'S.......against the Cardinals.
    redhawk11
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

DICK said:

I was interested in your "get off my lawn" comment. Yes, I am old, but generally that comment is used when people complain about someone wanting to change the rules they are used to.  I am advocating changes to improve the game.  Basketball had trouble with the size and physicality of the players causing mayhem under the basket so they came up with the three point line and in the NBA they came up with defensive rules to keep players from jamming the paint, plus they got rid of hand checks and physical defense away from the basket.  In football they changed the location of hash marks to help open up the game.  They also changed the shape of the football to make it better for the passing game.  They cut down on physical things the DB's could get away with.

Baseball has a problem with your generation and younger in particular, the games take longer than ever but have fewer balls put in play and less action on the field.  I also think that is a problem.  That is why the player's union has come up with a bunch of suggested changes, most of which I think would be good.

By the way, just like you, if I didn't love baseball, I would not have been up at 1 AM watching an April game.
    redhawk11AORedHawk33D_DayRe6H5wkelpalitoMHT_Meme_Team
    edited April 19
    Dick- I realized later that my lawn comment didn't perfectly apply. I just meant that you were complaining about how the sport is changing (i.e., too many BBs and Ks) and you preferred the "good old days." My apologies. You are not only a great Miami fan but a great sports fan in general.
    DICK
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

DICK said:

Tonight DeGrom only went 5 innings, so now he has a streak of 2  straight non quality starts.
    And apparently may be hurt. He’ll have an MRI on his elbow.
    Ah yes, now Judge is hurt. What a fun April.
    Trade season is underway as the Phillies add Jay Bruce.
    TruckCrew said:

Only hitting .212, but it seems he still has some pop in his bat
    Re6H5wk said:

TruckCrew said:

His 533 slugging was good for 17th in the AL (20th in the NL) at the time of his trade. His OPS+ of 116 shows he’s got plenty of offense left.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    The Rockies have won 8 in a row.

During that time, they have gone from 10 games back of the Dodgers to 9.5 games back of the Dodgers.
    mooseDICK
    Dodgers are another offensive juggernaut. And with Kershaw, Ryu, and Buehler, it’s be tough to find a better top 3
    TruckCrew said:

Re6H5wk said:

TruckCrew said:

His 533 slugging was good for 17th in the AL (20th in the NL) at the time of his trade. His OPS+ of 116 shows he’s got plenty of offense left.
    And today McCutcheon goes down with a torn ACL.
  • bpatbpat Senior Barfly
    TruckCrew said:

TruckCrew said:

Re6H5wk said:

TruckCrew said:

And today McCutcheon goes down with a torn ACL.
    I bet they wish they had carried more QBs on the roster.
    redhawk11dave67DICK
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    And the Reds continue to chase the elusive .500
    TruckCrew said:

Re6H5wk said:

TruckCrew said:

That's why I said he still has some pop.
    edited June 5
    Re6H5wk said:

TruckCrew said:

Re6H5wk said:

TruckCrew said:

That's why I said he still has some pop.
    Indeed. I was showing his league ranking to A) further illustrate your point and B ) dismiss the low batting average.

Quite the 'return to the NL' last night for Bruce - 2 HR, 6 RBI, and nearly hit a 3rd. 
    Kimbrel to the Cubs. 3 years, $43M.
    gentbaseball12Redskin89
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Former Red and Indian Edgar Encarnacion has been on a home run roll recently and now has 20, leading the American League.  #20 on Sunday was also a milestone, #400 of his career.  He is only the third active player with 400 homers.  Albert Pujols is #6 with 644, Miguel Cabrera is #31 with 468.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited June 13
    In a 14 inning game vs the Brewers last night, Milwaukee scored 3 in the 14th to win 6-3.  Houston pitchers struck out 24 batters.  Justin Verlander struck out 15 in his 7 innings.  The mlb record is 26 for an extra inning game, done 3 times.
    redhawk11AORedHawk33
  • May be the most satisfying win of the year for The Crew. Yes Astros pitchers struck out a zillion guys but Milwaukee pitchers were lights out. Only 3 runs allowed in 14 innings and they came after two were out in one inning. Astros had only lost 9 games at home all year.
    Edwin Encarnacion on the move - to the Yankees.

And when Judge and Stanton come back - holy toledo they'll have some power.