Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Bracketology

First bracket I have seen and MAC has 2 teams. CMU and MIAMI!! CMU as an 8th seed. Miami as an 11th seed matched up against Missouri. How fun is that to see!!

ChrisW1980TruckCrewRe6H5wk

Comments

• QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Buffalo and Ohio both dropped out after being in the bracket last week. Buffalo is the 5th team out of the tournament and Ohio is the 7th team out of the tournament. The last 4 in are three 10 seeds and one 11 seed, so that suggests that Miami would be right on the edge of the bubble without the automatic bid.
    redhawk11
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Yes. Miami’s is the auto being first in conference. Sad to see our third team dropped out for now
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum

Yes. Miami’s is the auto being first in conference. Sad to see our third team dropped out for now

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out if the MAC has multiple 20 plus win teams, as it likely will. Miami faces huge tests at the end of the year against UB and OU. And UT tonight will be tough. We only won by 1 in Oxford. No doubt MAC women are a strong conference. 

The newest update came out today. Miami holds at 11 and has a predicted first round matchup against Drake at Maryland. CMU moves up to a 7 seed. Ohio is the 6th team out of the tournament and Buffalo is the 8th team out of the tournament.

Also of note, Miami received a single vote in the AP poll that came out today, which puts them at 39th in the poll.
    Re6H5wkAORedHawk33Bash_RiprockDICK
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    If Miami is projected to win the MAC, why is CMU seeded higher? They have a higher RPI?
    Re6H5wk said:

If Miami is projected to win the MAC, why is CMU seeded higher? They have a higher RPI?

They didn't lose to Florida A&M.

Re6H5wk said:

They didn't lose to Florida A&M.
    Touché
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

Their RPI is in the 20s and ours is in the 40s
    Re6H5wk
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Ladies receive one vote in AP Top 25 poll today!
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

Re6H5wk said:

This goes back to non conference scheduling.  CMU, coming off a Sweet 16 season and with 3 starters returning, scheduled as tough as they could nonleague, while we scheduled as we had the last few years, basically to pick up wins.  There is another thread on here where I listed the RPI's of our nonleague teams, most of them were in the 300's or high 200's.  Before we beat Central up there, our RPI was #141, it is now down to #42, and can continue to get better if we can continue winning, as we finish with a very difficult schedule.
    DICK said:

Re6H5wk said:

This goes back to non conference scheduling.  CMU, coming off a Sweet 16 season and with 3 starters returning, scheduled as tough as they could nonleague, while we scheduled as we had the last few years, basically to pick up wins.  There is another thread on here where I listed the RPI's of our nonleague teams, most of them were in the 300's or high 200's.  Before we beat Central up there, our RPI was #141, it is now down to #42, and can continue to get better if we can continue winning, as we finish with a very difficult schedule.
    How far in advance are bball schedules/deals? Many are 1 for 1, right?
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited February 26
    I would guess most non league games are home and home.  We did schedule an away game at #3 Louisville.  Most of the teams on our non league schedule we have been playing every year for several seasons.  As I said on the other thread, we also struggled to beat some of these teams early in the year, and in fact lost to Florida A & M.  So maybe we needed to go through the growth and development process to get where we are today and if we had played a really tough non league schedule, like Ball State did for example, we would have lost most of them.
    CMU got Louisville to come to Mt. Pleasant this year.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

National champion Notre Dame played at Toledo,  Stanford played at Buffalo, and Purdue played at Ohio.
    DICK said:

National champion Notre Dame played at Toledo,  Stanford played at Buffalo, and Purdue played at Ohio.
    How I the world did that happen?
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    According to Muffett McGraw , the atmosphere at Toledo helps prepare her team for big league and tournament games later in the year, plus "Toledo just deserves it".
    Re6H5wk
  • D_DayD_Day Senior Barfly
    Since Megan Duffy played for Muffett, maybe Miami can get a home game with Notre Dame
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    edited March 1
    When she played a great Beavercreek team...

• MooreHawkMooreHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    DICK said:

According to Muffett McGraw , the atmosphere at Toledo helps prepare her team for big league and tournament games later in the year, plus "Toledo just deserves it".

Pretty smart. Easy trip to make, winnable road game but with 6k in attendance (according to box score) to get used to opposing crowds.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    When she played a great Beavercreek team...

Those girls basketball teams, in the Dayton area at that time, were incredible!

And for those wondering about Beavercreek's center, she's now known as Dr. Alison Bales, MD.  Played for 4 years at Duke, played in the WNBA, then took classes at WSU in the off season and eventually graduated from WSU Medical School in 2017 and is on her rotations in Indianapolis.  So if you see a 6'7" doctor with the name "Bales" on her lab coat, that's her.  Tom Archdeacon profiled Alison after she graduated from WSU.

In this area of the country, we're all lucky to have Mr. Archdeacon write sports columns for us.
    EDDIEthechuck_2112redhawk11
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    I would also point out that starting CJ guard Ashley  Goldsberry is the daughter of Miami assistant coach Frank Goldsberry, who was also the CJ coach at the time.
    Professor_Fate
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    DICK said:

I would also point out that starting CJ guard Ashley  Goldsberry is the daughter of Miami assistant coach Frank Goldsberry, who was also the CJ coach at the time.

And his son John played at Vandalia Butler, 2 years younger than I was.  He was a heck of a player.  He went onto UNC Wilmington where he played all 4 years, including going 8/8 from 3 against Maryland in the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament in his freshman year (they lost at the buzzer on a Drew Nicolas running 3, Maryland was the defending champs).
    DICKProfessor_Fate
    CMU is an autobid 7 seed. Buffalo is an at large 10 seed and the fourth to last team in the tournament. Ohio is the third team out. Miami is the seventh team out.
    So I have no idea how reliable of a source this is, but this website's bracketology from today has 4 (!) MAC teams in the tournament. CMU as a 6, Ohio an 8, Buffalo an 11, and Miami an 11. Buffalo and Miami are both in the last 4 in.

The ESPN bracketology has CMU as a 7, Ohio an 11, and Buffalo an 11. Buffalo and Ohio are in the last 4 in. Miami isn't even included in the first 8 out of the tournament.

I'd think a win over Ohio and a loss to CMU in the championship could still put us in the conversation for an at large bid.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    As of Sunday afternoon, both ESPN and Realtime RPI have 3 MAC teams in.  UB's RPI ended at #25, CMU at # 32, and Ohio at # 33.  3 in would be a MAC record for either men or women.  Miami ended with an RPI of #44.  That is a better RPI than 4 teams who are predicted to get in on both sites. Michigan #45, Indiana #47, and Auburn #50 were selected on both sites, one had #51 Clemson, the other had #59 Tennessee.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    This morning ESPN switched OU projection from last four in to first four out.
    Men got rid of RPI, and I think the women should too as it seems the committee doesn't put much stock in it.
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    =>SIDE NOTE since topic of men vs. women rules came up: Why do women play quarters? Is there something in the genitalia that makes it impossible for each gender to play by the same rules???

To me, either both play quarters or both play halves.

I guess for the sake of uniformity, all should play quarters as that is how basketball is played at every level except men's basketball.
    Cincykid3 said:

This morning ESPN switched OU projection from last four in to first four out.

Based on the 8 teams that were announced as the bubble teams, with 4 making it and 4 missing, it makes sense for OU to miss.
    mollautt said:

=>SIDE NOTE since topic of men vs. women rules came up: Why do women play quarters? Is there something in the genitalia that makes it impossible for each gender to play by the same rules???

To me, either both play quarters or both play halves.

I guess for the sake of uniformity, all should play quarters as that is how basketball is played at every level except men's basketball.

US men's college is the only competitive level of the game in the world that uses halves instead of quarters, so if anyone should change for the sake of uniformity, it should be the US men's college game.
    AORedHawk33DICKgrumpy1