Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Nationals In Michigan...

Friday. Send-off was today.

Other random thoughts:

I still use TurboTax.

I still Walk Across America For Groats Disease

This team has a plethora of Californians.

Carla does a great job.

Comments

• NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    Can't wait to see the highlights on Sportscenter!
    RenmancoMUHawk84
  • skipatrollerskipatroller Senior Barfly
    Go Belle Cassidy!
    thechuck_2112
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    the team has been 3rd and 4th overall the last two years, respectively...it's not a decade ago when they were top two and qualifying for world's every year
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Is this the Senior Team, or the Collegiate Team, or the other Team...so confusing.
    that was the senior team, that only one that can represent the united states by finishing top 2 at nationals.
    edited February 2019
    Spanks004 said:

that was the senior team, that only one that can represent the united states by finishing top 2 at nationals.

Didn't the Collegiate Team win the NCAA Championship?  Or finish behind Michigan?
    dave67 said:

Spanks004 said:

Didn't the Collegiate Team win the NCAA Championship?  Or finish behind Michigan?
    I am not sure because I don't really follow it, had to look up that stuff. Wouldn't the collegiate team be like our JV since we have a senior team?
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    Spanks004 said:

Since Nationals haven't happened yet, I'm going to say no ... they didn't.  They won the Midwestern Championships (over WMU).  Nationals are this weekend, as Eddie said.

• grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

the team has been 3rd and 4th overall the last two years, respectively...it's not a decade ago when they were top two and qualifying for world's every year

So we're also-rans in this, too?
    Maz
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    Spanks004 said:

21-time national champs, including 12 straight from 2004-2016.  But, yes, we failed to win the title two years in a row.  Fire Carla.

edited February 2019
    Maz said:

Spanks004 said:

21-time national champs, including 12 straight from 2004-2016.  But, yes, we failed to win the title two years in a row.  Fire Carla.

I was speaking to the senior team, nowhere did I say anything about collegiate's history. The fact you had to go to the record book and then saw how many national championships kind of shows how irrelevant the program is I guess...
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Nickskin said:

Can't wait to see the highlights on Sportscenter!

We spend money on this "sport" only because we have to equalize scholarships in hockey under Title IX.
    Bash_Riprock
    I think many of us would just rather see those scholarships be for a women's hockey program, men's soccer (I know title 9 we would need another women's sport on top of hockey probably), etc
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    We actually have 3 synchronized skating teams.  The Senior team competes internationally and against teams which are not college teams.  A level below that is our collegiate team, who compete against colleges and they have won most  all of the national championships in this sport.  Then there is a third team and I forget what their title is but I think it is mostly freshmen.  This is what I picked up over 25 years of having hockey season tickets and watching the girls perform during the breaks.  They are very good and impressive to watch.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    edited February 2019
    DevilGrad said:

Why do y'all shit on this constantly?  Miami highlights aren't on Sportscenter in any sport except when we get road-graded by a P5 team.  Miami athletics, particularly outside of football, basketball, and hockey, exist to enrich student life and provide opportunities on campus.  Synchro skating is a somewhat unique sport, but it's fundamentally no different from swimming, cross country, field hockey, etc.  And more schools now have a collegiate synchro team than sponsor D1 women's hockey.  So just cut it out.  Y'all sound like a bunch of grumpy old men.  

If someone would give Bluesman the phone number for SportsCenter, I'm sure he would be willing to give them a call and demand they start putting highlight packages together for Miami synchro. He has been successful in similar endeavors.

Also, the fundamentals used for synchronized ice skating are much different than the fundamentals used in most other sports. I do not see much overlap when comparing synchro skills to field hockey. Do you even watch the sports???

I'll show myself out.

B) B)
    digitalhawk
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

I think many of us would just rather see those scholarships be for a women's hockey program, men's soccer (I know title 9 we would need another women's sport on top of hockey probably), etc

Three synchronized skating teams and we can't have men's soccer or wrestling?
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    Spanks004 said:

Synchronized skating has a total of 0 scholarships. 
    2xHawk said:

Spanks004 said:

Synchronized skating has a total of 0 scholarships. 
    Pretty sure the senior team has scholarships...at least they did when I was in school
    redhawk11
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    If your liver is cooperative...two items of interest...

DICK
    We are all entitled to our own opinions. For me, I would much rather see Women's Hockey jump to D1 & Men's Soccer make a return
    EDDIEgrumpy1JCook32
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    We are all entitled to our own opinions. For me, I would much rather see Women's Hockey jump to D1 & Men's Soccer make a return
    You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts ...

"Synchronized skating is a varsity sport at Miami, but there are no scholarships."

2xHawk
    Spanks004 said:

I would like to see our athletic program raise money to fund scholarships for Women's Hockey & Men's Soccer, ensuring we are still in alignment with Title 9.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Certainly men's soccer should be the next male sport added.  Youth groups in every area in the country play soccer and a majority of high schools now seem to have the sport.  There is a ton of interest in soccer.  Women's hockey has a pretty low participation rate in Ohio and nationally.  It does fit in with our school's emphasis on hockey and skating, so that would be an argument for it.  A couple of years ago some people were arguing for lacrosse.
  • I would like to see women's crew.... after all, we are a Public Ivy.
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum

I would like to see women's crew.... after all, we are a Public Ivy.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't ;)

The senior team sits in 4th place (out of 6 teams) after day one...their score is too far behind second to make a comeback to qualify it looks like
    Looks like Collegiate team in the lead in their division
  • redhawkfan27redhawkfan27 Summer Orientee
    Here's some facts about the synchronized skating program at Miami, since some did about 5 minutes of research. 

To answer the last question - There are no current Miami alum's on the Haydenettes, or Crystalletes, but there is one on the Skyliners (second best team in the country) Most alumni from the program go on to the adult divisions or coach. The top 4 teams in the collegiate division at nationals are all coached by Miami Alumni. 

Miami sponsors two varsity synchronized skating teams. Senior and Collegiate. We used to field a junior team, but two more schools have entered the field of varsity synchro (Adrian College and Trine University) and numbers dropped because teams started offering spring tryouts, where they could see if they made the team BEFORE they committed to the school. Miami lost a lot of skaters because of this, and Miami will offer spring tryouts this year for the first time. 

The 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 season were pretty bad for the teams. The collegiate team lost their national title for two years to University of Michigan (Mitch Korn's daughter is one of the coaches there) and Adrian College (both coaches are Miami alums). This year they regained it by ten points, and things seem to be looking up for that team. The senior team has been inconsistent with the last time they went to the world championships in 2016. They still represent Team USA and are on the US  national team for synchronized skating and get funding from US Figure Skating based on past results. Nationals was very disapointing for them, and they're losing a big senior class this year, but having spring tryouts will hopefully help them regain strong skaters. The biggest problem that Miami runs into is that they create amazing athletes, that later turn into amazing coaches and come back to beat Miami. 

Considering all of this, Miami is still THE school to go to for skating. We have a club synchro team that is very successful as well. I realize it's hard for people to understand the sport or understand its point at Miami. But, the Crawfords absolutely adore the program.The synchro program is rebuilding at the moment, it looks to be getting better from the past two seasons. The team actually lost an assistant coach this year, and she took another job at Miami. I'm not sure if the position was cut, if they're searching for a new assistant, or if they're staying with two coaches. 

Anyways, I hope this cleared things up as it comes to synchro at Miami. It's an extremely unique program when it comes to college sports, and the girls work extremely hard with no scholarship. You don't see many college teams on Team USA or on the US National team. 
    DICKEDDIEthechuck_2112DevilGradskin66MooreHawkdave67killgas20Yager07Kumlerendofslant
    Looks like Miami continues as the Cradle of Coaches ( Synchronized Skating wise)!