Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

FUN TRIVIA

yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
edited March 2019 in Miami Memos
In the last 2 school years (counting this basketball season, so 2017-2018 and 18-19), every single MAC school EXCEPT ONE has had at least one winning season in either football or men's basketball.

Miami hasn't a winning season in either sport since the 2010-2011 school year.
QuinoaburgerThe_SackmanMHT_Meme_Teamkillgas20agc

Comments

• Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Graduating champions!
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    The fact that this stat has garnered so little traction is proof of just how much losing has been engrained into our culture. 

Such a departure from the Miami of 20 and even 10 years ago.
    DICK
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    If Sayler is correct, and a school's athletics are actually the welcome mat (or front porch, forget his exact wording), then perhaps we should think about cutting back on the athletic department's budget. Because right now our welcome mat has "F#@$ Off" written on it.

And considering how far we have dropped in the annual US News & World Report Top 100 poll, that money could clearly be better used elsewhere in our university.
    DevilGrad said:

Miami is #96 in US News this year.  That has been relatively consistent for quite a while.  

Actually it is "such a departure from the Miami of 20 and even 10 years ago."

In the early aughts we were consistently ranked in the 50s.
    edited March 2019
    DevilGrad said:

[citation needed]

Well, I know we were somewhere in the 50s at that time because that's when I attended college, and I recall seeing the issue. The oldest list I could find available online, though, is from 2007 where we are 60.

https://amroamroamro.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/usnewscom.pdf

And I recall a discussion on this very board about it a few years ago when it was pointed out that we had fallen into the 80s and some members weren't thrilled about that. At 96 we're hanging on by the skin of our teeth. I realize that the criteria changes, and is likely weighted more toward research, but jeez, that just seems so low.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    I know we’ve talked about it from time to time, but when is the blame placed solely on the university administration and not the AD?

I don’t follow as much as I should, or did, and probably know a small percentage of the story, but there has to be larger forces at work than bad coaching or questionable AD hires.
    redhawk11
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    Sad...really bad leadership
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum

If Sayler is correct, and a school's athletics are actually the welcome mat (or front porch, forget his exact wording), then perhaps we should think about cutting back on the athletic department's budget.

I believe that was former President Hodge who said athletics are the "front porch" of the university.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum

If Sayler is correct, and a school's athletics are actually the welcome mat (or front porch, forget his exact wording), then perhaps we should think about cutting back on the athletic department's budget.

I believe that was former President Hodge who said athletics are the "front porch" of the university.
    Was that Hodge or a Bates thing? Either way, the porch needs a renovation. 
    TruckCrew said:

Pretty sure it was Hodge. Either way you're right, the porch needs a new paint job and new accent lighting at the very least.
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Wealthy Alum
    C'mon now.....they change  up the  the red zone parking every other year....that takes a lot of effort.
    redhawk11grumpy1DICKColonel_Panic
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum

TruckCrew said:

Pretty sure it was Hodge. Either way you're right, the porch needs a new paint job and new accent lighting at the very least.
    It was neither Bates or Hodge. It was Sayler’s quote when he was first hired.
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum

TruckCrew said:

=>And carbonated soda.

Bash_Riprock
    Actually, a quick Google search of "Athletics are the front porch" shows that the phrase has been used by numerous college athletic directors and other university officials since at least 2003. I remember Hodge using the phrase at a tailgate party in Boulder in 2007. Regardless, the phrase clearly was not coined or first used by Hodge, Bates, or Sayler.
    dave67profholt82
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    “Knowledge is good.” - Emil Faber
    Blackbird
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:

I know we’ve talked about it from time to time, but when is the blame placed solely on the university administration and not the AD?

I don’t follow as much as I should, or did, and probably know a small percentage of the story, but there has to be larger forces at work than bad coaching or questionable AD hires.

The ultimate responsibility lies with the Board of Trustees. They hire the President who, in turn, hires the AD. it's no different than the corporate world, except alums/fans/customers of Miami are like shareholders who have non-voting stock. Whatever "power" we wield comes through the ability to either make or withhold donations and/or other financial equivalent support.
    skin66
  • agcagc Senior Barfly

If Sayler is correct, and a school's athletics are actually the welcome mat (or front porch, forget his exact wording), then perhaps we should think about cutting back on the athletic department's budget. Because right now our welcome mat has "F#@$ Off" written on it.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the budget cuts are happening. Someone mentioned in another thread, and I believe it's gonna be about 2% a year for the next 5 years.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

In the last 2 school years (counting this basketball season, so 2017-2018 and 18-19), every single MAC school EXCEPT ONE has had at least one winning season in either football or men's basketball.

In case anyone needed a reminder of how far we've fallen, not just compared to schools like UC, but those in our own conference.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

yanksalex said:

In case anyone needed a reminder of how far we've fallen, not just compared to schools like UC, but those in our own conference.
    We prefer consistency to winning occasionally.
    dave67skin66DICK
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    Ironic that so many of the public schools that have moved past us on the US News list have robust and successful athletics programs..