Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

MAC Tournament

NIU just beat UT 80-76. Have to think unfortunately that pretty much does away with any chance the MAC has of being a 2 bid league. 
hawkattack06

Comments

• BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    At this point, as a MAC fan, I will cheer on the mighty Bortzes!! On the mens side that is. 
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Buffalo is in either way. I hope they lose so we get two teams in.
    muhoopsjunkieJCook32
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    Buffalo has been  the only at large MAC  team for a while now.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Congrats to Toledo on continuing their infinity streak of not making the NCAA tournament.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum

Congrats to Toledo on continuing their infinity streak of not making the NCAA tournament.

BUGS is way longer.

Would love 2 MAC teams but I just don't see it happening. Which is why I made my comment about UB above. If MAC can't get 2 teams, I would like UB to have as good a seed as possible to give them a better chance of advancing. That's good for the MAC too. But if we can get 2 teams in, and I agree UB is a lock, then great. All for it. 
  • JCook32JCook32 Summer Orientee
    Buffalo beat CMU, lost to Northern and split with Bowling Green. They are playing well and definitely the best team in the conference but I wouldn't go ahead and give them tournament is a foregone conclusion. I would prefer they make it to the title game and lose to BG and get two teams in the tournament.
    Professor_Fate
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Remember when we lost by 29 to the #9 seed?
    yanksalex said:

Remember when we lost by 29 to the #9 seed?

Who cares? The Boilers play tonight.
    Professor_FateBash_Riprockgrumpy1
  • hawkattack06hawkattack06 Off-Campus Slummer
    edited March 15
    Bluesman said:

Would love 2 MAC teams but I just don't see it happening. Which is why I made my comment about UB above. If MAC can't get 2 teams, I would like UB to have as good a seed as possible to give them a better chance of advancing. That's good for the MAC too. But if we can get 2 teams in, and I agree UB is a lock, then great. All for it. 
    MAC will 100% get 2 bids if Buffalo loses today or tomorrow.

Toledo losing has no impact on the MAC getting 2 bids. They might get an at-large to the NIT.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum

Bluesman said:

Toledo losing has no impact on the MAC getting 2 bids. They might get an at-large to the NIT.
    If Buffalo loses today or in the Championship game they will still be a 5 or 6 seed...I kind of hope they lose to get a second MAC team in there
    Spanks004 said:

Bluesman said:

If Buffalo loses today or in the Championship game they will still be a 5 or 6 seed...I kind of hope they lose to get a second MAC team in there
    They *should* be a 5 or 6 seed, but my guess is the committee will give them a 6 seed if they win the MAC tourney and 7/8 seed if they lose.

Spanks004 said:

Bluesman said:

They *should* be a 5 or 6 seed, but my guess is the committee will give them a 6 seed if they win the MAC tourney and 7/8 seed if they lose.
    With NET rankings now, I don't think they will drop them, unless their loss would drop them in NET
    Spanks004 said:

Spanks004 said:

Bluesman said:

With NET rankings now, I don't think they will drop them, unless their loss would drop them in NET
    NET rankings don't directly translate to seeding. Buffalo is #15 NET, which is a 4 seed. Zero chance that happens. The committee has a long history of underseeding mid majors and leaving them out altogether. The NET will not change things.

Spanks004 said:

Spanks004 said:

Bluesman said:

NET rankings don't directly translate to seeding. Buffalo is #15 NET, which is a 4 seed. Zero chance that happens. The committee has a long history of underseeding mid majors and leaving them out altogether. The NET will not change things.
    I guess we will see. If they stay at 15, they won't be lower than a 5. Buffalo has been ranked in the top 25 almost the entire year, coaches and AP, and whole year for NET
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    Spanks004 said:

Spanks004 said:

Spanks004 said:

Bluesman said:

I guess we will see. If they stay at 15, they won't be lower than a 5. Buffalo has been ranked in the top 25 almost the entire year, coaches and AP, and whole year for NET
    While I agree that the committee should be bound by the the NET ranking that was specifically created for the committee, Wofford is currently 13 in the NET.  Given the above referenced history of seeding mid-majors, I'd be pleasantly stunned if Wofford's actual seed even remotely reflected their current NET.  
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    Impressive finish to the first half for BG.
    Terrific comeback by BG. They are playing well after some early turnovers. MAC may be a 2 bid league after all. 39-38 UB at the half. What a fun game and terrific atmosphere!!
    MAC tournament really has one of the best atmospheres I have seen of any conference. Great and loud crowds. 
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    Not the same without Reghi.
    redhawk11muhoopsjunkie
    And they don't have the talent UB does, but BG playing with that all important energy. I know earlier in the week I said I wanted UB to win but after watching the first half, I have changed my mind! UB is a lock no matter what. GO BGSU! More MAC teams in the Big Dance the merrier!!
    AORedHawk33
    Harris is Harris. Good as always. Plowden for BG is outstanding. And this second half is off to a blistering start!! #MACTION
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    What a great crowd they had on hand for the game...anyone know what the attendance was? Buffalo had too much for BG but Wiggins really did impress me...I thought BG should’ve worked harder to get it in to him. Their small shooting guard (the kid that had 25 points the previous game I think) really hurt them with bad shot selection on his three’s and turnovers. Surprised that their coach didn’t pull him.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited March 17
    What seed are we thinking for Buffalo? Lunardi has them as a 6, which seems a little low for me. 30-win team, won the MAC regular season and tournament in a good year for the league. Several solid OOC wins, only non-conference loss to a strong Marquette squad. Losing to NIU isn't good, but that's their only bad loss.
  • bpatbpat Senior Barfly
    I think 5 is their ceiling. Their shooting seemed pretty mediocre in the first half (the part I saw). I could see them making a run or crashing and burning in first round.

I agree. They may go deep or if they play like they did much of this game they could be one and done. I wasn’t too impressed with their offensive schemes but if their shooters get hot they could make some noise.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited March 17
    bpat said:

I think 5 is their ceiling. Their shooting seemed pretty mediocre in the first half (the part I saw). I could see them making a run or crashing and burning in first round.

I feel the same. They have the talent to make an Elite 8 or Final 4 run, or they could lose to a 11 or 12 seed.
    One bracket projection I saw had them as a 6 seed playing undeserving Ohio State..sure would hate to see them lose to B10’s 8th best team.
    Cincykid3 said:

One bracket projection I saw had them as a 6 seed playing undeserving Ohio State..sure would hate to see them lose to B10’s 8th best team.

They wouldn't. Perkins will more than neutralize Wesson.
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    Cincykid3 said:

What a great crowd they had on hand for the game...anyone know what the attendance was? Buffalo had too much for BG but Wiggins really did impress me...I thought BG should’ve worked harder to get it in to him. Their small shooting guard (the kid that had 25 points the previous game I think) really hurt them with bad shot selection on his three’s and turnovers. Surprised that their coach didn’t pull him.

Box score lists crowd at 7813.