Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Coaching Carousel 2019

BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
Might as well get this started.

Marvin Menzies out at UNLV after 3 years
Maurice Joseph out at George Washington
Tony Shaver out at William and Mary after 16 years (big mistake IMO)

Comments

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Saul Phillips out at OU (and there’s a post by former Bobcat Treg Setty over on the OU message board about what Phillips meant to him that makes Jim Christian look like an absolute monster of a human being)
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    Mike Dunleavy Sr. Out at Tulane
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    Steve Alford out at UCLA (mid-season).
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    Billy Kennedy fired by Texas A&M
    Stadium reporting that OU will hire Jeff Boals.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

This article has the link to the Tweet, from Ohio athletics, that’s it’s a done deal.

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/platform/amp/2019/3/17/18269748/ohio-basketball-jeff-boals-thad-matta-ohio-state-stony-brook-record
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    Here is something interesting about the Ohio hire and how its AD works to secure coaches:

1) it took Ohio 4 days to replace Tim O'Shea with John Groce;
    2) it took Ohio 6 days to replace John Groce with Jim Christian;
    3) it took Ohio 3 days to replace Jim Christian with Saul Phillips.

this time it took Ohio 4 days to replace Saul Phillips with Jeff Boals.

• yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Nickskin said:

Here is something interesting about the Ohio hire and how its AD works to secure coaches:

Yeah but Brad Bates had to interview 92 division 1 head coaches, 457 assistants, 26 nba players, 45 scouts, 310 members of Congress, 13 circus clowns, 2 former presidents, 21 bagpipers, 1,275 janitors, 5 veterinarians, and 31 rabbis.

He said so in his press conference.
    Love_and_HonorRenmancokillgas20
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite
    Blackbird said:

I will be absolutely stunned if they don’t hire Buzz Williams.

5 seasons in Blacksburg, right in line time wise with when he gets restless. Leaked reports of friction with administration there. Texas A&M was where he got his first big time exposure, Texas is home, tons of cash that the Aggies can pony up. Seems like a no-brainer unless he thinks he can get Texas when Shaka is canned soon. But A&M seems like the better fit
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    I like OU’s hire of Boals. Assuming most, of not all, of his Stony Brook assistants come with him, they all have Ohio ties. Personally I think on paper OU’s AD did a very good job with this.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    Unless Aggy is ready to do Jimbo Contract 2:  Basketball Boogaloo, I don't see why that job is better than Virginia Tech. 
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Nickskin said:

I remember 2017, when we still had a 10 candidate list 18 days into our coaching search.
    redhawk11
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite
    edited March 17
    DevilGrad said:

Unless Aggy is ready to do Jimbo Contract 2:  Basketball Boogaloo, I don't see why that job is better than Virginia Tech. 

More basketball history. Bigger venue. After Kansas, B12 basketball is wide open. In the ACC, he’s always gonna be behind Duke, UNC, and not even #1 in his state cause he’ll be behind UVA.

They don’t have to back up a Brinks truck but he makes less than Shaka and Lon Kruger at OU. I can see A&M giving him 3.5MM plus incentives.

And again, Texas native with history in College Station. More money, easier conference, going home? That’s better than middle range school in nowhere Virginia. Not to mention recruiting Dallas and Houston in your backyard

edited March 17
    I suspect the Blacksburg powers that be have expectations about where VT’s position should be that don’t align with the money they’re willing to spend.

If nothing else, A&M is happy to spend money while demanding results.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum

I suspect the Blacksburg powers that be have expectations about where VT’s position should be that don’t align with the money they’re willing to spend.

If nothing else, A&M is happy to spend money while demanding results.

Kind of like  NOT  us. Demand nothing, spend less.
    How much more than $1300 per student per year in subsidies to the athletic department do you think would be reasonable to win a few more basketball games?  
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    DevilGrad said:

How much more than $1300 per student per year in subsidies to the athletic department do you think would be reasonable to win a few more basketball games?  

Go ask the parents who pay the tuition bills.
    A lot of kids borrow that money.  And having over $5000 in extra student loans over four years to support an athletic department that essentially nobody cares enough to watch isn't sustainable.  
  • RedseaRedsea Senior Barfly
    DevilGrad said:

A lot of kids borrow that money.  And having over $5000 in extra student loans over four years to support an athletic department that essentially nobody cares enough to watch isn't sustainable.  

Curious as to what is your suggestion then? Spend less then we do now and try to compete? Quit building facilities and look for more scholarship and/or coaching salary endowments? Drop football or hockey or both?

The one suggestion that doesnt work is FCS football unless you got the whole league on board. 63 scholarships. No tv money. No playoff money. Farther travel for all sports.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    How and why is it not sustainable?  Is Miami hurting for applicants?  Has the quality of our incoming student dropped in the last decade, as athletic costs have risen?

redhawk11DICK
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    Redsea said:

DevilGrad said:

Curious as to what is your suggestion then? Spend less then we do now and try to compete? Quit building facilities and look for more scholarship and/or coaching salary endowments? Drop football or hockey or both?

The one suggestion that doesnt work is FCS football unless you got the whole league on board. 63 scholarships. No tv money. No playoff money. Farther travel for all sports.
    The only logical answer is to drop men's hockey. I know people don't want to hear that but it makes no sense to drop football and a FCS move does little. We are also the Cradle of Coaches---do we just throw that away? Hockey should have never been added in the first place. I loved the job the coaches did in building the program from nothing. I loved the success we had. However, the sport does not fit with a school in SW Ohio.

Goggin could probably be converted to BB venue. It seats 3642 which is just about right for what we now need. We could probably get it up to 4000 with courtside seating. Leave the second rink for recreational skating and synchronized if it is still needed for Title IX.

This would be a really tough decision but as DevilGrad points out what we have is unsustainable. Tough decisions are going to have to be made. This makes the most sense based on dollars and cents which is going to have to drive the decision in the end.
    AORedHawk33grumpy1MooreHawkJiveHawkJCook32dave67hawkattack06
    Miami hasn't been hurting for applicants, thanks to (1) joining the Common Application, (2) aggressive out-of-state recruiting, and (3) international students.  There are diminishing returns to the first two, and the third one is tailing off due to the policies of the current federal administration.  If you follow the news out of Oxford, you know that Crawford is very focused on keeping cost increases to students down to ensure that affordability does not become even more of a barrier than it is now.  That's why ICA is being put on a diet of scheduled budget cuts over the next five years. 
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    JWags said:

Blackbird said:

I will be absolutely stunned if they don’t hire Buzz Williams.

5 seasons in Blacksburg, right in line time wise with when he gets restless. Leaked reports of friction with administration there. Texas A&M was where he got his first big time exposure, Texas is home, tons of cash that the Aggies can pony up. Seems like a no-brainer unless he thinks he can get Texas when Shaka is canned soon. But A&M seems like the better fit
    And VT can just replace him with Nate Oats and be just fine if not better.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    JWags said:

DevilGrad said:

MAfter Kansas, B12 basketball is wide open. In the ACC, he’s always gonna be behind Duke, UNC, and not even #1 in his state cause he’ll be behind UVA.

I'm not sure what Kansas and the Big 12 has to do with him taking a job at A&M in the SEC. 

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Sure, Boals had a reputation as a top assistant at OSU, but now that he's been given the chance to run his own program at Stony Brook, he hasn't looked nearly as good as Steve Pikiell did in the same position. I think if he isn't an OU alum, he doesn't get a phone call.
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    DevilGrad said:

DevilGrad said:

Miami hasn't been hurting for applicants, thanks to (1) joining the Common Application, (2) aggressive out-of-state recruiting, and (3) international students.  There are diminishing returns to the first two, and the third one is tailing off due to the policies of the current federal administration.  If you follow the news out of Oxford, you know that Crawford is very focused on keeping cost increases to students down to ensure that affordability does not become even more of a barrier than it is now.  That's why ICA is being put on a diet of scheduled budget cuts over the next five years. 

A fact that would surprise a lot of people on this board. Miami has 2,832 international students enrolled. That is 14.5% of the student body. 2,682 of them are from China! That is over 13% of the student body alone. Almost all international students are Chinese. There are a lot of eggs in that basket. Moreover, how much do Chinese students care about ICA?
    I am sure we are happy to take their $1,300 per year but is it sustainable?
    FWIW Chinese applications are down something like 37% in the past couple years. I think that source of out-of-state, full-tuition money is going away.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

FWIW Chinese applications are down something like 37% in the past couple years. I think that source of out-of-state, full-tuition money is going away.

I think that's a good thing long term. International students pay full tuition now, but don't donate later. The ones at Miami also have a high transfer rate because they try to use it as a stepping stone to transfer to an Ivy League institution.
    thechuck_2112EDDIE
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Sure, Boals had a reputation as a top assistant at OSU, but now that he's been given the chance to run his own program at Stony Brook, he hasn't looked nearly as good as Steve Pikiell did in the same position. I think if he isn't an OU alum, he doesn't get a phone call.
    Boals is a turd. I love this hire.
    grumpy1redhawk11
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    You say Boals is a turd, I always thought more of a nerd.  Which is fine, you have to be a bit of a nerd to spend tons of time on this website.  He always looked like he could have played a major part in Revenge of the Nerds
    The_Sackman