Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Coaching Carousel 2019

Comments

• hawkattack06hawkattack06 Off-Campus Slummer
    JiveHawk said:

FWIW Chinese applications are down something like 37% in the past couple years. I think that source of out-of-state, full-tuition money is going away.

I think that's a good thing long term. International students pay full tuition now, but don't donate later. The ones at Miami also have a high transfer rate because they try to use it as a stepping stone to transfer to an Ivy League institution.
    Any data to support these claims or should we just take your word for it?
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite
    edited March 18
    19goSkins said:

JWags said:

DevilGrad said:

Unless Aggy is ready to do Jimbo Contract 2:  Basketball Boogaloo, I don't see why that job is better than Virginia Tech. 

MAfter Kansas, B12 basketball is wide open. In the ACC, he’s always gonna be behind Duke, UNC, and not even #1 in his state cause he’ll be behind UVA.

I'm not sure what Kansas and the Big 12 has to do with him taking a job at A&M in the SEC. 
    Cause I’m an absolute moron and blacked out while thinking of A&M vs Texas

But SEC is a similar story. You have UK, and then a bunch of teams like LSU, UF, and Tenn who, while good as of late, have been up and down.
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    edited March 18

Stadium reporting that OU will hire Jeff Boals.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Sure, Boals had a reputation as a top assistant at OSU, but now that he's been given the chance to run his own program at Stony Brook, he hasn't looked nearly as good as Steve Pikiell did in the same position. I think if he isn't an OU alum, he doesn't get a phone call.
    This feels like the OU administration was weary of hiring guys OTHER than Boals, and just said screw it, let's finally hire him and see what happens.
    DICK
    "Moreover, how much do Chinese students care about ICA?"

About as much as they care about ICL!
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    One time a Chinese student went with us to Ball State on a 6th man trip.  Also, one time I think John Cooper had an event for the foreign students to get them interested in Miami hoop.  That, by the way, still sounds like a good idea to me.  Basketball has some following in China, the Chinese students could be an untapped fan group.
    redhawk11profholt82
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Phil Martelli out at St. Joes.
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    yanksalex said:

Wow...I see there was a new AD hired last year, maybe some friction there?
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    killgas20 said:

yanksalex said:

Wow...I see there was a new AD hired last year, maybe some friction there?
    St Joe’s has been struggling the past couple seasons, but would make a run in the A10 every now and again.
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    Double wow!   As with William and Mary firing Tony Shaveer, St. Joes has a new second year AD that apparently wanted to make a splash.  
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Stupidass move by SJU.
    JWagsDICKBlackbird
    I believe "stupidass" is two words. You may have been thinking of "dumbass", which is one.
    dave67
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum

I believe "stupidass" is two words. You may have been thinking of "dumbass", which is one.

exactly the kind of thing a smartass would say
    dave67DevilGradAORedHawk33killgas20redhawk11DICK
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite

Stupidass move by SJU.

Is it though? Depends what kind of program they want. The Atlantic 10 can be a 2-3 bid league. St Joe’s has 1 NCAA win, and a berth only once every 5 years. They are in one of the top 3 non-P6 conferences, in a fertile recruiting area. Martelli isn’t getting any younger and expecting him to change or suddenly recruit stronger isn’t likely. The program would just plod along till he retired.

Before Tom Crean, Marquette had a coach, Mike Deane, from Siena who took over a S16 team. He basically told boosters and fans early on “for a smaller private school, making an NCAA every 4-5 years is an ambitious goal with some NITs”. He was a good coach, won 18-20 games consistently, but the program stalled cause that was the mindset and the university and AD wanted more.

Not saying St Joe’s is Marquette or has their history or budget, but they were not far removed from low level conferences at the time. Winning changes a lot of things and they have seen how it can be done in Philly. New blood is probably a good thing
    The A10 is very young, and getting better and better. In two years I could see it getting as many as 4 bids.
    AORedHawk33
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    edited March 20
    Boals to be paid a base of $581,000/year PLUS potential bonuses, car, broadcast $...)

Top MAC salaries:
    1) Buffalo: Nate Oats $837,000 base (plus incentives)
    2) Akron: John Groce $650,000
    3) Ohio: Jeff Boals $581,000
    4) Toledo: Todd Kowalczyk $415,000
    5) CMU: Keno Davis: $400,000
    6) WMU: Steve Hawkins: $385,000
    7) Kent: Rob Senderoff: $385,000
    8 ) Miami: Jack Owens: $350,000
    9) BG: Michael Huger: $325,000
    10) Ball State: James Whitford $316,000
    11) NIU: Mark Montgomery: $300,000
    12) EMU: Rob Murphy: $275,000
    edited March 20
    What on Earth is OU smoking? Boals is making more than Saul Phillips ever did, and Phillips had three NCAA games under his belt before coming to Athens with a .615 record at NDSU. Boals has coached in exactly one CBI game and has a .573 record at Stony Brook.
    Redskin89
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum

What on Earth is OU smoking? Boals is making more than Saul Phillips ever did, and Phillips had three NCAA games under his belt before coming to Athens with a .615 record at NDSU. Boals has coached in exactly one CBI game and has a .573 record at Stony Brook.

Maybe the OSU allure?
  • D_DayD_Day Senior Barfly

We can hope that Boals is OU's "Treadwell."
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    D_Day said:

We can hope that Boals is OU's "Treadwell."
    That'd be asking for a lot.
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    edited March 21

Saul's base was $550,000.00, so Boals is not being paid too much more.

I understand your point about past success and the fact that apples to apples, Boals doesn't have the same resume coming to Athens.  However, Boals was making $365,000.00 at Stony Brook and one would imagine that a move from there would have to be worth it to him.  Also, I'm sure that Schauss believes that there is a higher ceiling with Boals. 

We are also seeing the top-tier MAC basketball programs investing more in head coaches.

Also, the market is obviously trending upwards.  Programs of MM schools are paying more and finding more creative ways to enrich its coaches.  For example, American East member, UMBC pays Ryan Odom $425k/base.  It appears, he will also receive $75k in separate alumni money ($500k/year in compensation).  Plus ($25k for NCAA, $22k for NIT, $20.5k for other post-season, $17.5k for appearance in American East Away Championship game).
    thechuck_2112
    Bryce Drew out at Vandy
    Jamion Christian from Siena to George Washington
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    Avery Johnson negotiating a buyout from Alabama.  Fallout from the FBI investigation and the upcoming testimony from Sean Miller and Will Wade?
    Blackbird said:

Bryce Drew out at Vandy

Suddenly, that jump to the Missouri Valley Conference might have been a bit more than anticipated.

Blackbird said:

Bryce Drew out at Vandy

Suddenly, that jump to the Missouri Valley Conference might have been a bit more than anticipated.
    Vandy, not Valpo
    yanksalexredhawk11Love_and_HonorDICK

Blackbird said:

Bryce Drew out at Vandy

Vandy, not Valpo
    Too many Drews
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

Blackbird said:

Bryce Drew out at Vandy

Vandy, not Valpo
    Too many Drews
    The same Drew. He hasn't coached at Valpo in 3 years.
    Current openings:

UCLA
    Alabama
    Vanderbilt
    Texas A&M 
    Wazzu 
    St. Joseph 
    UNLV
    Stony Brook 
    Niagara
    Fairfield 
    Mercer 
    William & Mary
    Elon
    Appalachian State
    John Thompson III rumored to be the frontrunner at Vandy
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum

John Thompson III rumored to be the frontrunner at Vandy

I would really wonder why. He didn't do much at Georgetown.
    Blackbird