Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Coaching Carousel 2019

135678

Comments

  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    Lots of rumblings on basketball twitter this afternoon that Ron Hunter will be the next coach at Tulane.  
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    DevilGrad said:

    Lots of rumblings on basketball twitter this afternoon that Ron Hunter will be the next coach at Tulane.  

    Article:

    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/othercolleges/2019/03/23/ron-hunter-leaving-georgia-state-tulane-per-reports/3256682002/
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    bpat said:

    John Thompson III rumored to be the frontrunner at Vandy

    I would really wonder why. He didn't do much at Georgetown.
    Amen!


  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Ron Hunter should be able to get a much better job than Tulane.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

    Ron Hunter should be able to get a much better job than Tulane.

    I wish he had. Tulane hires you to fire you. It’s a graveyard.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    Avery Johnson is out at Alabama, after 4 seasons
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum

    redhawk11 said:

    Ron Hunter should be able to get a much better job than Tulane.

    I wish he had. Tulane hires you to fire you. It’s a graveyard.
    I guess he was mad that Georgia State refused to give him an extension before the year. He had been thinking about leaving since October.

  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Ron Hunter confirms he is headed to Tulane!! Congrats Ron! A great Miami player and representative of the University. Do well at Tulane and then maybe SEC comes calling. Either way, congrats to Ron!! 
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Wyking Jones canned at Cal.

    He accomplished an impressive amount of futility in a mere 2 years, including a 24 point loss to Chaminade last year.
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    laxdaddy said:

    Redsea said:

    DevilGrad said:

    A lot of kids borrow that money.  And having over $5000 in extra student loans over four years to support an athletic department that essentially nobody cares enough to watch isn't sustainable.  

    Curious as to what is your suggestion then? Spend less then we do now and try to compete? Quit building facilities and look for more scholarship and/or coaching salary endowments? Drop football or hockey or both?

    The one suggestion that doesnt work is FCS football unless you got the whole league on board. 63 scholarships. No tv money. No playoff money. Farther travel for all sports.
    The only logical answer is to drop men's hockey. I know people don't want to hear that but it makes no sense to drop football and a FCS move does little. We are also the Cradle of Coaches---do we just throw that away? Hockey should have never been added in the first place. I loved the job the coaches did in building the program from nothing. I loved the success we had. However, the sport does not fit with a school in SW Ohio.

    Goggin could probably be converted to BB venue. It seats 3642 which is just about right for what we now need. We could probably get it up to 4000 with courtside seating. Leave the second rink for recreational skating and synchronized if it is still needed for Title IX.

    This would be a really tough decision but as DevilGrad points out what we have is unsustainable. Tough decisions are going to have to be made. This makes the most sense based on dollars and cents which is going to have to drive the decision in the end.
    Intramurals, hockey school, club hockey, women's hockey and tourneys alone make that unfeasible. 
    dave67
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    edited March 24
    Iam4hawks said:

    laxdaddy said:

    Redsea said:

    DevilGrad said:

    A lot of kids borrow that money.  And having over $5000 in extra student loans over four years to support an athletic department that essentially nobody cares enough to watch isn't sustainable.  

    Curious as to what is your suggestion then? Spend less then we do now and try to compete? Quit building facilities and look for more scholarship and/or coaching salary endowments? Drop football or hockey or both?

    The one suggestion that doesnt work is FCS football unless you got the whole league on board. 63 scholarships. No tv money. No playoff money. Farther travel for all sports.
    The only logical answer is to drop men's hockey. I know people don't want to hear that but it makes no sense to drop football and a FCS move does little. We are also the Cradle of Coaches---do we just throw that away? Hockey should have never been added in the first place. I loved the job the coaches did in building the program from nothing. I loved the success we had. However, the sport does not fit with a school in SW Ohio.

    Goggin could probably be converted to BB venue. It seats 3642 which is just about right for what we now need. We could probably get it up to 4000 with courtside seating. Leave the second rink for recreational skating and synchronized if it is still needed for Title IX.

    This would be a really tough decision but as DevilGrad points out what we have is unsustainable. Tough decisions are going to have to be made. This makes the most sense based on dollars and cents which is going to have to drive the decision in the end.
    Intramurals, hockey school, club hockey, women's hockey and tourneys alone make that unfeasible. 
    Yep. Goggin about pays for itself. And it gets more use than Millett. IM basketball isn't even played at Millett.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    We can still get all of that use from Goggin even if we don’t have a college hockey team...
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    edited March 24
    Miami is closer to shuttering its basketball program than any other program at Miami.  They've slowly been doing so for decades
    dave67Renmanco
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    JiveHawk said:

    Iam4hawks said:

    laxdaddy said:

    Redsea said:

    DevilGrad said:

    A lot of kids borrow that money.  And having over $5000 in extra student loans over four years to support an athletic department that essentially nobody cares enough to watch isn't sustainable.  

    Curious as to what is your suggestion then? Spend less then we do now and try to compete? Quit building facilities and look for more scholarship and/or coaching salary endowments? Drop football or hockey or both?

    The one suggestion that doesnt work is FCS football unless you got the whole league on board. 63 scholarships. No tv money. No playoff money. Farther travel for all sports.
    The only logical answer is to drop men's hockey. I know people don't want to hear that but it makes no sense to drop football and a FCS move does little. We are also the Cradle of Coaches---do we just throw that away? Hockey should have never been added in the first place. I loved the job the coaches did in building the program from nothing. I loved the success we had. However, the sport does not fit with a school in SW Ohio.

    Goggin could probably be converted to BB venue. It seats 3642 which is just about right for what we now need. We could probably get it up to 4000 with courtside seating. Leave the second rink for recreational skating and synchronized if it is still needed for Title IX.

    This would be a really tough decision but as DevilGrad points out what we have is unsustainable. Tough decisions are going to have to be made. This makes the most sense based on dollars and cents which is going to have to drive the decision in the end.
    Intramurals, hockey school, club hockey, women's hockey and tourneys alone make that unfeasible. 
    Yep. Goggin about pays for itself. And it gets more use than Millett. IM basketball isn't even played at Millett.
    There are a lot of things that we think are unfeasible until the money runs out and tough choices have to be made.

    I hope that day does not come but I fear that tough choices may to be made at some point regarding the athletic budget and the cost of athletic facilities.
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite
    bpat said:

    John Thompson III rumored to be the frontrunner at Vandy

    I would really wonder why. He didn't do much at Georgetown.
    That's revisionist history.  He won 3 Big East titles in 12 seasons.  The first Final Four in almost 25 years.  And he took over a moribund program under Eshrick.  People forget that his Dad only made it past the first weekend of the NCAA twice in his last 10 seasons.  He lost the plot and the program had some recruiting misses to end his tenure, but he was a very solid coach for a decade, even with the NCAA missteps post-FF.

    Between that and his success at a demanding academic institution like Princeton, I think Vandy could do far worse.  He won't be a sexy hire, but I think he can have similar success to Kevin Stallings which is a good target for Vandy.
    AORedHawk33thechuck_2112redhawk11
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Yeah, if you think JTIII didn’t accomplish much at Georgetown, talk to the people who were there for Craig Escherick. My wife spent four years in the band watching that train wreck.
    AORedHawk33
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Worst kept secret in sports: Tim Miles out at Nebraska
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

    Worst kept secret in sports: Tim Miles out at Nebraska

    Did he livetweet the firing?
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum

    yanksalex said:

    Worst kept secret in sports: Tim Miles out at Nebraska

    Did he livetweet the firing?
    With a cold Coors Light in hand.

  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Mike Anderson goes bye bye at Arkansas
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite
    yanksalex said:

    Worst kept secret in sports: Tim Miles out at Nebraska

    Hoiberg back to the plains of the Midwest to recreate Transfer U 3 hours southwest
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

    Mike Anderson goes bye bye at Arkansas

    Kelvin Sampson is already the prohibitive favorite here apparently
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

    yanksalex said:

    Mike Anderson goes bye bye at Arkansas

    Kelvin Sampson is already the prohibitive favorite here apparently
    Yup!

    https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/arkansas-fires-coach-mike-anderson-and-houstons-kelvin-sampson-could-be-a-potential-candidate/amp/
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Billy Donlan to UMKC
    Professor_Fate
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    What job does Oats take?
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite
    edited March 27

    What job does Oats take?

    None.  Given he hasn't actively floated his name out there, I think schools watch him next year to see what he does after losing 80% of his scoring from the senior class and make sure he's not another Keno Davis at Drake situation.
    Professor_Fate
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    edited March 27

    What job does Oats take?

    He just got a new contract through 3/31/24. Contract is for 837K a year with 225K of that from gifts designated to basketball.

     Nick and Alex, I believe David Sayler is on line 1 for you!! 
    :)
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    JWags said:

    What job does Oats take?

    None.  Given he hasn't actively floated his name out there, I think schools watch him next year to see what he does after losing 80% of his scoring from the senior class and make sure he's not another Keno Davis at Drake situation.
    I am going to disagree a bit on this. Keno Davis coached one year at Drake. This is Nate Oats 4th year at Buffalo and he has been to the tournament 3 times. Secondly, I read Oats already turned down the UNLV job and he got a serious raise at UB. Finally, I think Keno Davis is a pretty good coach. I think CMU is a hard basketball job and CMU has competed well under him
    DICK
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

    What job does Oats take?

    He just got a new contract through 3/31/24. Contract is for 837K a year with 225K of that from gifts designated to basketball.

     Nick and Alex, I believe David Sayler is on line 1 for you!! 
    :)
    With all due respect, so what? If Arkansas or A&M or Va Tech (should Buzz leave), he's taking the doubled salary no matter what he just signed.
    redhawk11
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Oats' buyout is $750K if he leaves before the end of the 2019-2020 season. I imagine an Arkansas or Va Tech would happily pay that to get his track record of success.
Sign In or Register to comment.