Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Coaching Carousel 2019

Comments

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Washington State will hire Kyle Smith away from San Francisco.
  • Nate Oates to Alabama. 
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    edited March 27
    Junkie beat me to it
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

Bluesman said:

What job does Oats take?

He just got a new contract through 3/31/24. Contract is for 837K a year with 225K of that from gifts designated to basketball.

Nick and Alex, I believe David Sayler is on line 1 for you!! 
    :)
    With all due respect, so what? If Arkansas or A&M or Va Tech (should Buzz leave), he's taking the doubled salary no matter what he just signed.
    Or ROLLED DAMN OATS
    elpalito
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    UB Oats shuffling out of Buffalo to Roll Tide!!
    PAWWWWWWWL and Oats
    redhawk11DevilGradredhawkup
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

Nate Oates to Alabama. 

Here's your link from the Buffalo News

https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/27/nate-oats-resigns-as-ub-mens-basketball-coach/

Washington State will hire Kyle Smith away from San Francisco.

Kyle Smith is an interesting guy. He got started, as an assistant, in building St Mary’s. Became the head coach at Columbia where they won the CIT Championship. Then he went to SF and won there. I’ll have to watch Washington State and see if they improve over the next few years. Tony Bennett got his start there, as head coach, too. Before heading to UVA.
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite
    JWags said:

What job does Oats take?

None.  Given he hasn't actively floated his name out there, I think schools watch him next year to see what he does after losing 80% of his scoring from the senior class and make sure he's not another Keno Davis at Drake situation.
    Look at this idiot!

But understandable choice from Oats.  Johnson underachieved, but provided there is no mass exodus, Oats would have back 4 of his top 5 scorers and most of the minutes back from the team this year.  Remains to be seen if he can recruit the South or handle the big pond.  
    redhawk11
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    Holly Warlick out as Tennessee Lady Vols Head Coach.  
  • greggie76greggie76 Havighurstite
    Hopefully Tennessee don't offer Megan the job
    DICK
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    edited March 27
    Oats will be leaving this hovel to move into something truly befitting his new stature.

Does Jack Owens have a view of Seven Mile Creek?
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    greggie76 said:

Hopefully Tennessee don't offer Megan the job

Megan won’t leave me ❤️
    DICK
  • greggie76greggie76 Havighurstite
    If Tennessee offer more money she will
    grumpy1
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited March 27
    nm
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

Oats' buyout is $750K if he leaves before the end of the 2019-2020 season. I imagine an Arkansas or Va Tech would happily pay that to get his track record of success.

Great call Chuck. UB got themselves a nice buyout thanks to the recent raise.  $2.4 million per year is what Alabama is paying him.
    JWags said:

JWags said:

What job does Oats take?

None.  Given he hasn't actively floated his name out there, I think schools watch him next year to see what he does after losing 80% of his scoring from the senior class and make sure he's not another Keno Davis at Drake situation.
    Look at this idiot!

But understandable choice from Oats.  Johnson underachieved, but provided there is no mass exodus, Oats would have back 4 of his top 5 scorers and most of the minutes back from the team this year.  Remains to be seen if he can recruit the South or handle the big pond.  
    Something like four Alabama players are in the transfer portal.  His recruiting prowess may be needed immediately.
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    The first thing he should do is make sure the FBI didn’t leave any bugs in Avery’s office ...
    DICK
    Geno Ford takes over for Jeff Boals at Stony Brook.  He was Boals' top assistant.
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite

Geno Ford takes over for Jeff Boals at Stony Brook.  He was Boals' top assistant.

Man, that dude has had a lot of coaching ups and downs and all overs for being only 44.
     Niagara hires Patrick Beilein out of Division II Le Moyne.  The younger Beilein led Le Moyne to three straight Division II tournaments.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    UCLA offers Calipari, UK counters with lifetime contract, whatever that means.

UK is giving Calipari the Coach K contract. It's conceivable he could still bolt, but I doubt it.

LA Times is now reporting that the leaders for the UCLA job are Jamie Dixon, Mick Cronin, and Randy (not Tony) Bennett.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum

UK is giving Calipari the Coach K contract. It's conceivable he could still bolt, but I doubt it.

LA Times is now reporting that the leaders for the UCLA job are Jamie Dixon, Mick Cronin, and Randy (not Tony) Bennett.

Not Owens??
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    dave67 said:

Not Owens??
    Buck Owens?

Dave, he's dead.
    killgas20dave67
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

Those are three TERRIBLE options. Have some pride, UCLA.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    edited April 1
    What is this Charlie Wilde talk about Buffalo?!?!
    Saw it rumored by a normally trustworthy Twitter account but I have lost any trust in this guy.
    @coachingchanges
    Jerry Stackhouse is apparently taking the Vandy job?
    Rick Byrd of Belmont is retiring after 33 years and 805 win. That’s incredible!
    William & Mary fired their longtime coach who could never quite get over the hump only to have their top two candidates turn them down in favor of staying in assistant gigs at power schools. So now their lead candidate is a guy who’s an assistant at Charlotte who previously spent years as an assistant at W&M under the guy they just fired.

Is Brad Bates the AD there?
    AORedHawk33Quinoaburgergentbaseball12Love_and_Honormuhawk