Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Coaching Carousel 2019

Comments

• digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    W&M AD hears knock on door. Door opens.
    "Hi! I'm John Cooper!"
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum

Rick Byrd of Belmont is retiring after 33 years and 805 win. That’s incredible!

He finally got his first tournament win this season, so I guess he figured that he'd accomplished everything that he wanted to do before retiring.
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite

UK is giving Calipari the Coach K contract. It's conceivable he could still bolt, but I doubt it.

LA Times is now reporting that the leaders for the UCLA job are Jamie Dixon, Mick Cronin, and Randy (not Tony) Bennett.
    Those are three TERRIBLE options. Have some pride, UCLA.
    Willing to pay well short of what other Blue Bloods would pay (likely inflated contract numbers for Calipari aside), less resources, bad commercial flights.  If UCLA was any other school in the Pac 12 without the UCLA name, it would be teamed a lower level P6 job comparatively.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    This is the stuff that floats to the surface when you have had John Wooden, along with Kareem, Worthy, etc., etc., in your employ.....you're never going to regain the long-lost-luster of championships won....no one can regain the pinnacle you achieved...so get over it.

Miami athletics is in the same miserable hell hole. Six wins in FB is nirvana, 18 is BB is about the same. Minor bowls and BB post-season tourneys is our station in life. Hockey is a "major sport" but, in reality, it doesn't move the needle. We can hire whoever we can afford and maybe move up the ladder a notch or two....but no one really cares. If you cannot bring it in FB and men's BB, you/we are hopelessly lost.

The only salvation is to clean house....but that won't happen because we have no money....and that's the realm of the empire. And who would take that job these days with all the garbage surrounding athletics.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    JWags said:

UK is giving Calipari the Coach K contract. It's conceivable he could still bolt, but I doubt it.

LA Times is now reporting that the leaders for the UCLA job are Jamie Dixon, Mick Cronin, and Randy (not Tony) Bennett.
    Willing to pay well short of what other Blue Bloods would pay (likely inflated contract numbers for Calipari aside), less resources, bad commercial flights.  If UCLA was any other school in the Pac 12 without the UCLA name, it would be teamed a lower level P6 job comparatively.
    I've been to Lexington and I've been to LA. If given the choice, I'd side with Cal even before we start talking money.
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite
    Renmanco said:

JWags said:

I've been to Lexington and I've been to LA. If given the choice, I'd side with Cal even before we start talking money.
    There is that too. Cal is 60, he’s got a really nice thing going in Lexington, likes it there, will likely get a statue when he retires. He’s not a young buck with something to prove. Why go revive a fallen Giant that’s been a wasteland for a long time? His decision was a no brainer
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    The only A-lister who made sense as a UCLA candidate (because it would be a “legendary career” thing) was Tony Bennett, and (1) UCLA fans are insane and would have berated his children in school after the UMBC game, which he knows and (2) UVA, when it wants to, can pay more money than God.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

The only A-lister who made sense as a UCLA candidate (because it would be a “legendary career” thing) was Tony Bennett, and (1) UCLA fans are insane and would have berated his children in school after the UMBC game, which he knows and (2) UVA, when it wants to, can pay more money than God.

Thomas Jefferson did write a Bible
    Local rumors now EXTREMELY strong that Mick Cronin will be the next coach at UCLA
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly

Local rumors now EXTREMELY strong that Mick Cronin will be the next coach at UCLA

And UCLA and Indiana are officially no longer Blue Bloods.
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    19goSkins said:

I think Mick has done well at UC given the resources he has and the severely overrated opinion the school has about it's place in athletics.
    AORedHawk33
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer

William & Mary fired their longtime coach who could never quite get over the hump only to have their top two candidates turn them down in favor of staying in assistant gigs at power schools. So now their lead candidate is a guy who’s an assistant at Charlotte who previously spent years as an assistant at W&M under the guy they just fired.

Is Brad Bates the AD there?

W&M A.D. Samantha Huge, in her second year in that position, made a “huge” mistake by firing Tony Shaver IMO. Although he had an overall losing record, he was the winningest coach in W&M history; was the Colonial Athletic Association coach of the year twice; and was a good recruiter. He had the CAA player of the year once, and defensive player of the year twice. He was highly respected by his opponents and their fans (including me). Nothing lasts forever, but I was sorry to see this happen.

AORedHawk33Professor_Fate
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    MUHawk84 said:

19goSkins said:

I think Mick has done well at UC given the resources he has and the severely overrated opinion the school has about it's place in athletics.
    UC fans don’t know how good they have it. I hope the next coach comes in there and blows the program to pieces.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Buzz Williams just told his team at Virginia Tech that he is headed to Texas A & M per Jon Rothstein. Great hire for A & M. Seton Hall's Kevin Willard expected to be primary target for Va Tech to replace Williams. 
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    MUHawk84 said:

19goSkins said:

Congrats to Mick on never accomplishing anything at a mid-major and getting a promotion out of it.
    grumpy1
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum

MUHawk84 said:

19goSkins said:

Congrats to Mick on never accomplishing anything at a mid-major and getting a promotion out of it.
    Not so fast, my friend.

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Buzz Williams leaving Va Tech has created a local buzz.  Our local super star, Andre Gordon of Sidney ( coached by former Miami point guard John Willoughby) signed with Virginia Tech in November.
    redhawk11
    DICK said:

Buzz Williams leaving Va Tech has created a local buzz.  Our local super star, Andre Gordon of Sidney ( coached by former Miami point guard John Willoughby) signed with Virginia Tech in November.

This could get interesting if Andre Gordon reopens his recruiting. Or he tries to go to A&M with Buzz. Provided Buzz offers him a spot, there.
    Reports are Jamie Dixon, from TCU, to UCLA.

Didn’t they try this, before, with Ben Howland?
    The LA Times beat writer says Dixon's huge buyout ($8 million) is a sticking point. He's trying to negotiate it down to $1 million.  And Mick Cronin is getting antsy; he may pull out of the search if UCLA won't commit to him over Dixon ASAP.

So it's conceivable that UCLA spends so long screwing around with Dixon's buyout negotiations that Cronin bails, then TCU refuses to budge off the buyout number and UCLA can't hire him, and then they're left with Randy Bennett, I guess.
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly

The LA Times beat writer says Dixon's huge buyout ($8 million) is a sticking point. He's trying to negotiate it down to $1 million.  And Mick Cronin is getting antsy; he may pull out of the search if UCLA won't commit to him over Dixon ASAP.

So it's conceivable that UCLA spends so long screwing around with Dixon's buyout negotiations that Cronin bails, then TCU refuses to budge off the buyout number and UCLA can't hire him, and then they're left with Randy Bennett, I guess.
    Jamie (who I think is a very good coach and also think it was absolutely nuts that he was run out of Pitt) should stay at TCU.  Howland went to 3 Final 4s at UCLA and he still got the ax.  UCLA remains the leader in the clubhouse for unrealistic expectations based upon past success, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.  
    DICKredhawk11dave67Blackbird
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    Cronin is too Cincinnati. He used the UNLV job only to leverage more out of UC. Places like Las Vegas and Los Angeles are too scary for him. Interestingly, I haven't seen one word here about him and the UCLA job.

Cronin is too Cincinnati. He used the UNLV job only to leverage more out of UC. Places like Las Vegas and Los Angeles are too scary for him. Interestingly, I haven't seen one word here about him and the UCLA job.

I got the information from the Cincinnati Enquirer 

• MazMaz Off-Campus Slummer
    Renmanco said:

This is the stuff that floats to the surface when you have had John Wooden, along with Kareem, Worthy, etc., etc., in your employ.....
    Worthy?
    dudis41 said:

Jamie (who I think is a very good coach and also think it was absolutely nuts that he was run out of Pitt) should stay at TCU.  Howland went to 3 Final 4s at UCLA and he still got the ax.  UCLA remains the leader in the clubhouse for unrealistic expectations based upon past success, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.  
    Easier for Jamie to continue his acting career in LA, though. (He's a card-carrying member of the Screen Actors Guild, don'tcha know.)
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Rob Lanier will be the new HC at Georgia State, succeeding Ron Hunter who went to Tulane. Lanier was the Associate HC at Tennessee. 

TCU is refusing to lower the buyout, so negotiations have now stalled. I guess we'll find out if Mick Cronin has taken himself out of consideration.

• NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

Rob Lanier will be the new HC at Georgia State, succeeding Ron Hunter who went to Tulane. Lanier was the Associate HC at Tennessee. 

...and is originally from Buffalo and linked with that job recently
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum

TCU is refusing to lower the buyout, so negotiations have now stalled. I guess we'll find out if Mick Cronin has taken himself out of consideration.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. I know eight million dollars is a lot, but for a program that's supposed to be an elite that shouldn't be an issue for you. Kentucky or UNC wouldn't balk at eight million.
    There are structural PAC 12 reasons that UCLA might have problems with the buyout. It isn’t just a donor thing.
    laxdaddy