Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Coaching Carousel 2019

Comments

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    At any rate, Jamie Dixon’s out “barring an 11th hour resolution.” Time to see if Mick will still take the plunge!

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-jamie-dixon-ucla-mens-basketball-coach-tcu-contract-buyout-20190405-story.html
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite

The LA Times beat writer says Dixon's huge buyout ($8 million) is a sticking point. He's trying to negotiate it down to $1 million.  And Mick Cronin is getting antsy; he may pull out of the search if UCLA won't commit to him over Dixon ASAP.

So it's conceivable that UCLA spends so long screwing around with Dixon's buyout negotiations that Cronin bails, then TCU refuses to budge off the buyout number and UCLA can't hire him, and then they're left with Randy Bennett, I guess.
    TCU is refusing to lower the buyout, so negotiations have now stalled. I guess we'll find out if Mick Cronin has taken himself out of consideration.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. I know eight million dollars is a lot, but for a program that's supposed to be an elite that shouldn't be an issue for you. Kentucky or UNC wouldn't balk at eight million.
    As stated earlier in the thread, UCLA is cheap and has been for many years, not just in salary. This is entirely unsurprising
    Now reports that the Dixon negotiations are still alive and UCLA may pony up the buyout.
    JWags said:

The LA Times beat writer says Dixon's huge buyout ($8 million) is a sticking point. He's trying to negotiate it down to $1 million.  And Mick Cronin is getting antsy; he may pull out of the search if UCLA won't commit to him over Dixon ASAP.

So it's conceivable that UCLA spends so long screwing around with Dixon's buyout negotiations that Cronin bails, then TCU refuses to budge off the buyout number and UCLA can't hire him, and then they're left with Randy Bennett, I guess.
    TCU is refusing to lower the buyout, so negotiations have now stalled. I guess we'll find out if Mick Cronin has taken himself out of consideration.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. I know eight million dollars is a lot, but for a program that's supposed to be an elite that shouldn't be an issue for you. Kentucky or UNC wouldn't balk at eight million.
    As stated earlier in the thread, UCLA is cheap and has been for many years, not just in salary. This is entirely unsurprising
    I do think “cheap” is overstating it a bit. In order to fire Jim Mora and Steve Alford, UCLA spent over $15 million in a little over a year. Asking donors to cough up another $8 million up front just so they can pay Jamie Dixon $2.5 million a year or whatever is a big ask.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    Eric Musselman is going from Nevada to Arkansas.

Over/Under for number of transfers this offseason is 3.5
    Rick Barnes has emerged as a leading candidate at UCLA
    Lon Kruger as well.
    UCLA now has to resort to hiring successful, but not world beating, coaches in their mid 60s. Yikes
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    JWags said:

UCLA now has to resort to hiring successful, but not world beating, coaches in their mid 60s. Yikes

This is really embarrassing. I actually think that Lavar Ball is a better choice than Rick freaking Barnes.
    Bash_RiprockelpalitoDICK

Lon Kruger as well.

Chuck, you’re more in tune to what’s going on out there. Is UCLA just throwing out names until they can talk to Beard after the game tonight?
    I assume they will call Beard or Bennett (because their agents are interested, even if the coaches aren't), but this search process really shows the binds UCLA is in right now:
    • Fan base with wildly unrealistic expectations (although canning Howland when they did was arguably the right call because he'd lost the locker room entirely)
    • Athletic director who is both (1) pretty bad at his job and (2) completely unable to manage the fans' unrealistic expectations
    • Meaning the fan base hates the AD more than anyone here has ever hated Brad Bates, but for state university politics reasons (UC-system-wide), the administration is pretty content to let him do what he wants
    • So any marquee sport coach hired by the AD is looked at with severe mistrust from day one, meaning no honeymoon period of any kind that a coach in a high-pressure gig might otherwise expect, particularly when the last guy was fired and a rebuild is needed
    • Because UCLA is tied into the PAC 12 network fiasco, its ability to pay huge amounts of money to lure coaches has held steady or decreased at the same time other major conferences have gotten billion-dollar deals 
    • Even with the PAC 12's new scheme to sell the network rights to private equity investors for an immediate cash infusion, it's widely expected that the University of California system will take Cal and UCLA's share of that to pay general fund expenses of the entire UC rather than allowing the two campus athletic programs to keep it
    • And, to top it all off, $15 million of the limited money UCLA has sitting around for coaches is already tied up in the Mora and Alford buyouts.
    So, that's where we are: an impotent AD, a fan base that will want you fired from day one, and a systemic inability to pay enough money to make all that bullshit worthwhile.
    QuinoaburgerNickskin
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

JWags said:

This is really embarrassing. I actually think that Lavar Ball is a better choice than Rick freaking Barnes.
    Lon Krueger and Rick Barnes are both top coaches. IMO.
    Professor_Fate
    edited April 8
    DICK said:

JWags said:

Lon Krueger and Rick Barnes are both top coaches. IMO.
    Rick Barnes is 4 years off being canned at Texas for consistently underperforming his talent and resources.  He's taken the best 2 Tennessee teams in a decade and underperformed in back to back years when it mattered.  He's a good coach, but a school like UCLA isn't gonna be happy with just making the tourney and occasional S16s.  

Lon Kruger has had a successful career, but he's made it out of the first weekend of the NCAAs 3 times in the last 20 seasons he coached in the NCAA.  Again a good coach, not a "top coach".  I wouldn't consider either of them top 3 coaches in their respective conferences.

Barnes will be 65 and Kruger will be 67 by tip in the fall.  Good not great coaches you take a chance on when they are younger with runway ahead of them.  Barnes and Kruger are known commodities with a limited time left, not what you'd expect for a "blue blood", hence why this is embarrassing. 
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    I would say UCLA is not a Blue Blood anymore.  Just looking at the list of problems that Chuck listed, Both Barnes and Kruger would be leaving better jobs to go there.  PAC 12 basketball may not even be the best basketball out West, IMO....  Are either of them under pressure in their current jobs?  Barnes just had one of the best seasons in Tennessee history.
    DICK said:

I would say UCLA is not a Blue Blood anymore.  Just looking at the list of problems that Chuck listed, Both Barnes and Kruger would be leaving better jobs to go there.  PAC 12 basketball may not even be the best basketball out West, IMO....  Are either of them under pressure in their current jobs?  Barnes just had one of the best seasons in Tennessee history.

How do you figure? They still have the most NCAA titles and the second most FFs. They have had a disappointing last 10 years by their standards, but if you stretch to 15 years, they still have 3 FFs in that time and have a few recent S16s. They’d have to have a wasteland 10-20 years for them to have that label in jeopardy.

That being said, the challenges and resource issues there leading Tennessee and OU to not be no brainer leaps says all you need to know about what a mess it is.

The Pac12 is still the best basketball out West. Don’t be silly. It had a down year, but there are multiple schools with more recent success than St Mary’s or any other WCC school besides Gonzaga, and the MWC isnt much better. Utah St, SDSU, Utah, and New Mexico have had a good season or two, but nothing significantly enduring or concurrent

UCLA gets Rick Barnes a lifetime contract at Tennessee. (Not really, but he’s like 68 so his extension is the equivalent of one.)
    Chris Mullins rumored to step down as head coach at St John’s. Bobby Hurley at Arizona State to be lead candidate.
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly

UCLA gets Rick Barnes a lifetime contract at Tennessee. (Not really, but he’s like 68 so his extension is the equivalent of one.)

I wonder how many years of extensions UCLA will lock up for coaches at other schools before it’s all said and done. They should be owed royalties or something...
    Bash_Riprock
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    The other thing i just remembered about this search was that they fired Alford in December. Also i remember some talking head saying Luke Walton would be a good fit after getting fired by the Lakers and the other media saying well UCLA cant wait until the NBA season is over for a new coach. Now they would only need to wait a day or two
    Mick Cronin to UCLA.

Mick Cronin to UCLA.

Cincinnati Enquirer just confirmed it.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    edited April 9
    It will be interesting to see if Ryan Pedon's name comes up in the discussions for UC job. He would be a great candidate. Just like he would have been a great candidate and coach at Miami. 
    ChrisW1980
    Gotta figure the NKU guy is the front runner for UC.

Gotta figure the NKU guy is the front runner for UC.

That seems like a no brainer first call.

Might call Matt McMahon from Murray State too.
    Bluesman said:

It will be interesting to see if Ryan Pedon's name comes up in the discussions for UC job. He would be a great candidate. Just like he would have been a great candidate and coach at Miami. 

No way.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Thad or John Brannen
    FWIW, Thad was one of the few people who was turned down by UCLA instead of turning down UCLA.  There was mutual interest, but the Bruins backed away because his health was still too concerning.
    redhawk11 said:

Thad or John Brannen

Nick Van Exel wants it!
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum

redhawk11 said:

Thad or John Brannen

Nick Van Exel wants it!
    I wish they would hire Melvin Levett. He coached at Miami Hamilton for a while!

• digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    edited April 9
    I guess I eat my words about the angry elf not leaving the heartland. Though don't be shocked if he pulls a Cremins.