Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Nike Sibande Transferring (Likely)

yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
edited March 19 in Men's Basketball
Nike transferring had been a rumor thrown around on social media over the course of the last week. Today Nike removed any mention of Miami from his twitter bio. So, while nothing is official, it seems like this is the second departure of the off-season.

Comments

• killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    edited March 19
    This is a tough one.  I believe he's had over 1,000 points already and only after his sophomore year.
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    yanksalex said:

Nike transferring had been a rumor thrown around on social media over the course of the last week. Today Nike removed any mention of Miami from his twitter bio. So, while nothing is official, it seems like this is the second departure of the off-season.

Did those rumors include whether a bigger school was involved?
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Losing both Adaway and Sibande would certainly set our program back several steps.  I hope Nike is not leaving.  There were a lot of Sr's in the MAC this year and I had been counting on the team jumping into the top of the MAC next year.  Instead we would become a young team and next year becomes another building season.
  • RedseaRedsea Senior Barfly
    I certainly hope this isnt the case. This would be extremely disappointing news.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    At least Purdue made the NCAA tournament!
    AORedHawk33
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    Maybe Sibande and Adaway are transferring to Purdue.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    Is this the same Nike Sibande that no one here had a single good thing to say about all season long?  
    JCook32Professor_Fate
  • hawkattack06hawkattack06 Off-Campus Slummer
    I assumed Adaway transferred because Nike refused to pass him the ball. So maybe Jalen will stay?
  • hawkattack06hawkattack06 Off-Campus Slummer
    edited March 19
    DevilGrad said:

Is this the same Nike Sibande that no one here had a single good thing to say about all season long?  

Nike was frustrating to watch 90% of the time, but he showed flashes of greatness. So even though people bashed him, I thought he would get better and be a 1st team All MAC level player by his senior year.
    Quinoaburger
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    edited March 19
    DevilGrad said:

Nike had a very tough year overall,  and although he certainly got his, the offense seemed to stagnate with him on the court. But i) I think most of the optimism around here moving forward stemmed from having the Adaway/Sibande/Brown/ICL class entering their Jr year together and now half of that class is gone and ii) losing a player in mid-March really limits the staff's options in replacing that player.

Criticism of Nike was warranted; so too is realizing that another transfer sucks. It's not one or the other.
    mollauttBash_Riprockaba222RedHawks97
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    DevilGrad said:

In this age of social media ubiquity, I don't doubt that players read this forum regulary to see what alumni are saying about them. Based on the massive amount of transferring that occurs in collegiate basketball nowadays, however, I doubt these opinions have much impact one way or the other.
  • RedseaRedsea Senior Barfly
    I think it was mostly one poster who was non-stop critical of Nike. Most others had mixed reviews and appreciated the talent
    AORedHawk33Quinoaburgerredhawk11Professor_Fate
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Harouna and Adaway shared the small forward spot this year.  Now both will be gone.  Sibande was capable of filling in there at times.  He may be gone.  Looking at our roster, only Jovic ( maybe) could play some minutes there.  Etzler is a small forward, so is Roderick.  I think this fully explains why we are going after Roderick hard.
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    I was afraid of something like this when Adaway left.
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    Why are they leaving? 
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    I don't see why Nike would want to leave. He does what he wants on the court, and no one on the staff makes him do otherwise.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    Before we go crazy, one Xavier fan made a tweet and Nike changed his bio, which isn't uncommon.
    RHawksAlumni
    edited March 19
    JiveHawk said:

Before we go crazy, one Xavier fan made a tweet and Nike changed his bio, which isn't uncommon.

Do you have a link to said tweet? Or can you paraphrase what was said?
    Professor_Fate
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

JiveHawk said:

https://twitter.com/JDribbz/status/1105980197055197184
    JohnnyMac

Re6H5wk said:

JiveHawk said:

https://twitter.com/JDribbz/status/1105980197055197184
    Thanks. I wouldn't really worry about that tbh.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    JiveHawk said:

There’s definitely more smoke to this fire.
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    It feels like this would be a good time for Saylor and Crawford (and the missus) to sit down for a few hours and decide where the hell Miami sports are heading and what they plan to do about it. I hear the Crawfords are great boosters of Miami sports, so this is where the rubber meets the road. Renate can bring cookies.
    redhawk11
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    Can she wear yoga pants to this meeting?
    redhawk11
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    DICK said:

Harouna and Adaway shared Adaway shared the small forward spot this year.  Now both will be gone.  Sibande was capable of filling in there at times.  He may be gone.  Looking at our roster, only Jovic ( maybe) could play some minutes there.  Etzler is a small forward, so is Roderick.  I think this fully explains why we are going after Roderick hard.

If Roderick wants early playing time I don’t think he will have a better opportunity than with us.

DICK
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum

It feels like this would be a good time for Saylor and Crawford (and the missus) to sit down for a few hours and decide where the hell Miami sports are heading and what they plan to do about it. I hear the Crawfords are great boosters of Miami sports, so this is where the rubber meets the road. Renate can bring cookies.

How far we have fallen in the span of 15 years.
    Do players still read this board? I'm just thinking a "maybe Nike is transferring" thread might not be a good idea since all we currently have are tenuous rumors.
    agc
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

Do players still read this board? I'm just thinking a "maybe Nike is transferring" thread might not be a good idea since all we currently have are tenuous rumors.

Hello, Nike. You should stay.
    Re6H5wkQuinoaburgeragcmollauttredhawk11yanksalexMHT_Meme_Teamgrumpy1JHVMUFBAlum
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    Or... is this thread just an effort by the MIAMI DEEP STATE to show Nike how loved he really is???

Seriously, please don’t transfer if you are still on the fence. You could be MAC player of the year here.
    MoHawkredhawk11mollauttJHVMUFBAlumDICK
  • agcagc Havighurstite
    Hi Nike .... yeah, its me. You know, I have been ... well... a bit critical of your shot selection. But you know what, from the bottom of my heart, I believe you are our best player. You have the potential to be our next Wally. Please stay. I promise I will drive all my bottomless anger towards Chuck Martin now. We all <3 you!!!
    redhawk11RenmancoRe6H5wkJHVMUFBAlumDICK
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Personally I think it was quite premature to post anything about Nike or anyone else transferring before there is something concrete by the player or his family. I have had my issues with his play this year, but I don’t want him transferring. But ultimately a student athlete has to do what he feels is best for his situation. I hope he stays and I will let this play out and not speculate or feed rumors based on twitter pictures.