Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Comments

• Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    You and I posted at the same time. We can use your thread, I’m good with it.
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    program can hardly be worse can it? 
  • BalconyHawk87BalconyHawk87 Summer Orientee
    On one hand I'm surprised that he only got one year after the staff overhaul, but on another the total collapse over the second half of the season did not give me a good feeling about the direction of the program.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Wow
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    @Iam4Hawks In your eye.
    redhawk11AORedHawk33
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Didn't expect that. Hope there is a new coach lined up already
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum

On one hand I'm surprised that he only got one year after the staff overhaul, but on another the total collapse over the second half of the season did not give me a good feeling about the direction of the program.

I wonder if his meltdown at Mannino on the bench earlier in the season was a catalyst.
  • Colonel_PanicColonel_Panic Dodds God
    edited March 19

I wonder if his meltdown at Mannino on the bench earlier in the season was a catalyst.
    With a 45-84-15-10 conference record, do you need a catalyst?
    Bash_RiprocknaptownHawk
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    edited March 19
    Idiot move. He needed 1 more year with the staff he now has. Very curious to see where he lands.
  • MazMaz Off-Campus Slummer
  • Swoop2005Swoop2005 Summer Orientee
    I am disgusted by this. I get it. He’s paid a lot and wasn’t succeeding. But Miami athletics has several more pressing issues than firing one of their own.

With a 45-84-15-10 conference record, do you need a catalyst?
    I mean more along the lines of "the new assistants were brought in to give him a chance to salvage things, and when he blew up at Mannino, he lost the new assistants and the team, making things beyond saving."
    Iam4hawks said:

Idiot move. He needed 1 more year with the staff he now has. Very curious to see where he lands.

After his blow-up at Mannino mid-season, I think it's an open question whether he had lost the staff.
  • MazMaz Off-Campus Slummer
    Swoop2005 said:

I am disgusted by this. I get it. He’s paid a lot and wasn’t succeeding. But Miami athletics has several more pressing issues than firing one of their own.

We have been foundering for a while without any real hope of righting the ship.  I like Rico.  It sucks. I wish him the best. But, sometimes a change is needed and I think we're well past there.
    redhawk11
    edited March 19
    Swoop2005 said:

I'll say one thing for DS: he doesn't give a flying fuck about "one of our own." Remember his first significant move was canning Maria, who was as engrained in the Miami athletics culture as anyone.

I also think that anyone who is "disgusted" or calls this an "idiot move" is displaying a level of complacency about mediocrity that I just can't get on board with. We were 32-63-16 over the last 3 seasons. If that's not just cause for a performance-based firing, what is?
    naptownHawkLove_and_Honorredhawk11skin66
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Barry Schutte should be first to interview please. Was an amazing recruiter with Bergeron back in the day.
    2xHawkScalper
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Off-Campus Slummer
    Warranted based on the performance over the past half decade. Disappointing he hasn’t succeeded since the NCHC move, but you don’t get to keep your job just because you have a Miami degree.
    Bash_Riprock
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Spanks004 said:

Barry Schutte should be first to interview please. Was an amazing recruiter with Bergeron back in the day.

Schutte was never a recruiter or assistant coach at Miami.
    Professor_Fate
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Hire Bergeron and he brings Barry with him.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    I am sad that it had to come to this but i cant say that it is a bad move. We havent competed at a national level in a long time. My daughter is looking at Miami for college next year and when we go for tours and discussions the sport they talk about is hockey. Your flagship sport cant finish in last place every year.
    dave67
  • Swoop2005Swoop2005 Summer Orientee
    Maz said:

Swoop2005 said:

We have been foundering for a while without any real hope of righting the ship.  I like Rico.  It sucks. I wish him the best. But, sometimes a change is needed and I think we're well past there.
    It is obvious that things aren’t going well right now. But I can think of another coach who called our fans idiots, who mocked our school and conference, who hasn’t won a meaningful game in his tenure that still has a job. That seems like more of a fireable offense. In addition, Players are fleeing the basketball program. It’s kind of a mess across the board in men’s athletics (sans baseball).

Rico always represented Miami with class. He helped put us on the hockey map. I am not bickering with anyone. Like I said in original post. I get it. I just don’t like it.
    naptownHawkmoosedave67
    Spanks004 said:

Why wouldn't our first call be to Chris Bergeron himself?
    Spanks004 said:

RYAN. PEDON.
    TruckCrewgrumpy1Colonel_Panic
    I doubt he can coach hockey that well though
  • BubbaKBubbaK Summer Orientee
    The AD should be aggressively pursuing Bergeron!  If not, he should be the next one to go!  Not sayin' just sayin'!
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

Spanks004 said:

RYAN. PEDON.

JERMAINE!

I smell a new "tastes great/less filling" ad.
    grumpy1aba222
    BubbaK said:

The AD should be aggressively pursuing Bergeron!  If not, he should be the next one to go!  Not sayin' just sayin'!

I hope we look very very closely at Bergeron, and also consider other folks as necessary.
    JiveHawk
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    Bergeron is a fine coach, but I'd rather see us hire a coach without Miami ties. Preferably someone with a higher profile in the midwest and recruiting ties to the talent-packed Minnesota and Dakota pipelines. We're in the NCHC now, not the CCHA. Our competition is out west, so that's where we need to make a bigger impact.

Bergeron is a fine coach, but I'd rather see us hire a coach without Miami ties. Preferably someone with a higher profile in the midwest and recruiting ties to the talent-packed Minnesota and Dakota pipelines. We're in the NCHC now, not the CCHA. Our competition is out west, so that's where we need to make a bigger impact.

We should probably give Dave Hakstol a call.