Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

[POLL] If You Could Have Any 5 Year Span

QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
There's been a lot of talk on here recently about prioritizing different sports, so I was curious what the prevailing sentiment is. If you could choose any of the following 5 year spans, which would you pick?

A. 2010-2014 NIU football
B. 2014-2019 Buffalo men's basketball
C. 2014-2019 CMU women's basketball
D. 2005-2010 Miami hockey
E. 2009-2013 Kent St. baseball

Comments

• Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    I know D comes with national title opportunities, but B, easy.

I wouldn't mind 2001-2005 Miami football again, either.
    NickskinAORedHawk33
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    F.  2009 - 2011 Butler men's basketball
    Re6H5wk
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    edited March 19
    G. 1999-2019 Miami Synchronized Skating
    AORedHawk33hawkattack06Love_and_HonorMHT_Meme_Team
  • CMHskinsCMHskins Havighurstite
    edited March 19
    Miami football 1972-1976
    dave67Scalper
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Yep. Miami football 1973-78. Three bowl wins, two over SEC teams, and nationally ranked those same theee years. Also another MAC title in 77 although no bowl game. Miami basketball wasn’t too shabby then either!
    I think the mid-70s one is kind of obvious. QBurger was just looking at recent history of various MAC schools.
    Quinoaburger
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    Miami athletics 2002-07

1 MAC football championship, 1 AP Top 10 ranking, 2 bowl games
    1 NCAA men's basketball tournament, 2 NIT bids
    1 CCHA regular season championship, 3 NCAA hockey tournaments
    1 NCAA baseball tournament, 1 MAC regular season and tournament championship
    1 NCAA women's soccer tournament (1 victory)
    1 NCAA softball tournament, 1 MAC softball tournament championship
    1 NCAA volleyball tournament
    2 MAC East women's basketball championships, 1 WNIT

Among others.
    Re6H5wkthechuck_2112
  • hawkattack06hawkattack06 Off-Campus Slummer
    Alabama football
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    I would go for B, although what happens in the NCAA tournament matters bigtime to the legacy of UB.  A Sweet 16 or better and I would call this the MAC's all time best 5 year run.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

I think the mid-70s one is kind of obvious. QBurger was just looking at recent history of various MAC schools.

The conventional wisdom is that our resources are spread too thin for us for us to succeed in any sport. The disagreement is over what sport (if any) should be dropped and what sport should be invested in. The idea behind this was to look at what our potential peak could be if we went all-in on one of these sports given the constraints of our current conference and the current landscape of college sports, and which of those would be the most valuable to people. It's really great that we decided to talk about teams from the totally different landscape of 40 years ago and teams from totally different conferences that don't have comparable circumstances.
    AORedHawk33DICK
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    edited March 19
    1963 - 1968
    Football at Miami Field (Coach Bo Schembechler, et al)

Basketball at Withrow Court (Coach Hedric and a guy named Coles at guard)

Never an empty seat at any of the games.
    grumpy1skin66
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum

Re6H5wk said:

It's really great that we decided to talk about teams from the totally different landscape of 40 years ago and teams from totally different conferences that don't have
    Quinoa Bowl, you need to embrace the time-honored MHT.com tradition of thread jacking.
    redhawk11dave67DICK
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Thanks Bash...I just had to reminisce. ;D
    Bash_Riprock
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Me too.
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    All of the above
  • MHT_Meme_TeamMHT_Meme_Team Summer Orientee
    Forget a 5 year span, I'll take a 5 game span at this point
    Bash_Riprock

Forget a 5 year span, I'll take a 5 game span at this point

You must be a fan of February Cooper.
    Re6H5wkthechuck_2112MHT_Meme_Team
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    Unless my math is off, only 2 of the choices represent 5 year spans. ;)

If forced to choose, I'd take the NIU football success. Miami hasn't seen a prolonged run like that since the 70s.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Buffalo basketball has gotten more media coverage in the last week, than any of those other mini-dynasties received. I’ll take Buffalo Basketball in a heartbeat
    redhawk11Re6H5wk

Unless my math is off, only 2 of the choices represent 5 year spans. ;)

2014-15
    2015-16
    2016-17
    2017-18
    2018-19

Buffalo basketball has gotten more media coverage in the last week, than any of those other mini-dynasties received. I’ll take Buffalo Basketball in a heartbeat

I'm not sure I agree with that. If I had to guess, I would say that NIU received more coverage than Buffalo has. But to be fair, the NIU coverage was a lot more negative and Buffalo could surpass them with a run in the tournament.

I'm not sure I agree with that. If I had to guess, I would say that NIU received more coverage than Buffalo has. But to be fair, the NIU coverage was a lot more negative and Buffalo could surpass them with a run in the tournament.
    I don't think NIU received much national attention until the BCS bowl itself. Buffalo has been on national tv nearly every Friday night this season.
    redhawk11AORedHawk33