Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Hockey Coaching Search Thread

2456710

Comments

  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    edited March 20
    As long as they don't turn to a coach from a lower division coach and have a Cleve Wright situation with hockey.  I do not want t hear we've hired the coach of Wisconsin-Eau Claire.

  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    Shutout said:

    I happen to work with Nate Leaman's mother and doubt Nate Leaman would leave Providence for Miami. He is quite settled in at Providence. He is married with young kids and believe his wife's parents live out East nearby. A couple years ago he interviewed for NHL head coaching position with the Colorado Avalanche but ended up telling them he was not interested as did not want to leave Providence.


    I kind of like the idea of Gwozdecky coming back. He totally wasn't even on my radar of potential candidates.
    I can't see that happening. 
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Iam4hawks said:

    As long as they don't turn to a coach from a lower division coach and have a Cleve Wright situation with hockey. 

    I'm impressed merely by logical fallacies you had to slog through in order to type out the quoted sentence.

    Frankly, I hope we turn to a D3 coach so we can have a Lance Leipold situation with hockey.
    JiveHawk
  • NYCRedHawkNYCRedHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    How about George Gwozdecky? He has the pedigree and a great history. He’s coaching now at the high school level, so Miami would seem like a huge step up, plus he is familiar with the NCHC and Miami.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    A name I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is George Gwozdecky. What about him?
    QuinoaburgerThe_Sackman2xHawkdave67thechuck_2112hawkattack06DICKJCook32Bash_Riprockgrumpy1and 4 others.
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly

    How about George Gwozdecky? He has the pedigree and a great history. He’s coaching now at the high school level, so Miami would seem like a huge step up, plus he is familiar with the NCHC and Miami.

    George has a nice life. There's coaching at the high school level and coaching at the HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL. The school he's may as well be a college when it comes to facilities and it's without the headaches. He's had the challenge of building a hockey program there and its doing well. I'm not sure he's interested in coaching college or pro hockey again. Definitely not sure he'd come back to Oxford. 
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    edited March 20
    Mark Mazzoleni...however, he seems to have left the hockey world behind and owns his own business now.  
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    So, Iam4Hawks, who do you want? Besides Rico Blasi.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    19goSkins said:

    So, Iam4Hawks, who do you want? Besides Rico Blasi.

    He wants Pedon, damnit.
    Bash_RiprockNickskin
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

    A name I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is George Gwozdecky. What about him?

    I could get on board with Steve Cady or Bill Davidge. What about them?
    grumpy1
  • HawksVoxHawksVox Summer Orientee


    RON ROLSTON
    Playing Career:
    1986-89: Michigan Tech (WCHA)
    1989-90: ECHL

    Coaching Career:
    1990-1995: Assistant Coach, Lake Superior (CCHA)
    1996-1999: Assistant Coach, Clarkson (ECAC)
    1999-2002: Assistant Coach, Harvard (ECAC)
    2002-2004: Assistant Coach, Boston College (H-East)
    2004-2011: Head Coach, US NTDP
    2011-2013: Head Coach, Rochestern Americans (AHL) - 79-55-18 (.579)
    2012-2014: Head Coach, Buffalo Sabres (NHL) - 19-26-6 (.373)
    2015-2016: Head Coach, Springfield Falcons (AHL) - 26-42-8 (.395)
    2017-2018: Assistant Coach, Providence College (H-East)

    Miami Connections: NONE


    Rolston did coach with Miami great Kevyn Adams while at Buffalo.
    DanRedhawk
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    1.  I was too slow to name Gwoz first. Interesting idea.
    2.  I witnessed a team this year where the defense played on their heels; perhaps it is time for  "...style of grinder, defensive play..."
    3.  I also witnessed a team that had the talent to compete in the NCHC at times, but were inconsistent, which includes the defensive style mentioned above.  E.G. the other team played almost a man-to-man, stink-on-shit style that disrupted the flow of our style of play.
    4.  Sad to say, we were out coached.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

    Iam4hawks said:

    As long as they don't turn to a coach from a lower division coach and have a Cleve Wright situation with hockey. 

    I'm impressed merely by logical fallacies you had to slog through in order to type out the quoted sentence.

    Frankly, I hope we turn to a D3 coach so we can have a Lance Leipold situation with hockey.
    Tim Coghlin at St. Norbert. 18 tournament appearances and 5 national titles in 25 years, with only one finish in the bottom half of the conference.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Here's one from the hinterland:  John Gruden, Asst Coach, New York Islanders, father of our Jonathan Gruden.  Senior happens to be a defensive coach; but he also understands the other zone play.  Manino is a goaltender specialist.  Nice fit?
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    dave67 said:

    Here's one from the hinterland:  John Gruden, Asst Coach, New York Islanders, father of our Jonathan Gruden.  Senior happens to be a defensive coach; but he also understands the other zone play.  Manino is a goaltender specialist.  Nice fit?

    I'm sold. 10 years, $100 million.
    The_Sackmandave67thechuck_2112Bash_Riprockredhawk11gentbaseball12
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    If we could get Nate Leaman, I would be VERY happy.
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    What about Jermaine Henderson?
    dave67
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Don Treadwell....without question.
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

    19goSkins said:

    So, Iam4Hawks, who do you want? Besides Rico Blasi.

    He wants Pedon, damnit.

    or Ron Hunter.
  • moosemoose Senior Barfly
    Casey Jones will bring the turtles.
  • DanRedhawkDanRedhawk Summer Orientee
    Off Topic - but at UNH end-of-season press conference they mention that they will open season in Oxford.

    They also announce both future pro-defenseman will return. It will be the best and deepest UNH team in years. What that means for how good they'll actually be remains to be seen...
  • DanRedhawkDanRedhawk Summer Orientee
    moose said:

    Casey Jones will bring the turtles.

    Very good! In all seriousness he is a sneaky good name to consider. Clarkson is a HARD place to recruit and he has brought some real talent to Potsdam. They have scored and they have prevented goals at a high level. Took him a while to get going but they're very good now...

    And he recruited very well to OSU as well. Players love playing for him...
    thechuck_2112
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    edited March 20

    moose said:

    Casey Jones will bring the turtles.

    Very good! In all seriousness he is a sneaky good name to consider. Clarkson is a HARD place to recruit and he has brought some real talent to Potsdam. They have scored and they have prevented goals at a high level. Took him a while to get going but they're very good now...

    And he recruited very well to OSU as well. Players love playing for him...




    His Miami connection is his Asst Coach, Brekke.
  • BubbaKBubbaK Summer Orientee
    Whoever is the next coach, I would want them to rescind the equipment contract.  Not only do I want the boys to play with better gear, but I don't want to see another docu-series with a deep-voice guy talking about how awesome the program is until the program gets turned around.  Just sayin'
    TruckCrewJiveHawkRedskin89
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Spanks004 said:

    If we could get Nate Leaman, I would be VERY happy.

    I would too. But, I’m hearing from a really good source that it’s a VERY long shot. Besides, don’t most people leave the Dayton area for a reason?
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    19goSkins said:

    Spanks004 said:

    If we could get Nate Leaman, I would be VERY happy.

    I would too. But, I’m hearing from a really good source that it’s a VERY long shot. Besides, don’t most people leave the Dayton area for a reason?
    Don’t go mocking the staggering drawing power of the Gem City!
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    19goSkins said:

    So, Iam4Hawks, who do you want? Besides Rico Blasi.

    Actually most of the names mentioned have been pretty goo

    1) Gwoz — can't seem him back in the college game
    2) Blashill is intriguing. Not sure you give up an NHL head coaching job to go back to college
    3) Bergeron is, I would think, the odds on favorite
    I won't be shocked if a lot of assistants with NCHC teams get into the running

  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Isn’t Blashill signing an extension? No way he comes back here after that.

    I hope our first two calls are to Bergeron and Hakstol.
    muhawk
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite

    Isn’t Blashill signing an extension? No way he comes back here after that.

    I hope our first two calls are to Bergeron and Hakstol.

    Id love a run at Hakstol and if he's not interested, target Bergeron.  If you can get a guy with 6 Frozen Fours, a runner up, and who built the team that won 2 years ago, you gotta try.
Sign In or Register to comment.