Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Hockey Coaching Search Thread

Comments

• NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    Is anyone tracking the campus plane?
    dave67
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    JWags said:

Isn’t Blashill signing an extension? No way he comes back here after that.

I hope our first two calls are to Bergeron and Hakstol.

Id love a run at Hakstol and if he's not interested, target Bergeron.  If you can get a guy with 6 Frozen Fours, a runner up, and who built the team that won 2 years ago, you gotta try.
    works for me
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    edited March 26
    Interesting takes on Hakstol

https://www.phillyvoice.com/angelo-cataldi-dave-hakstol-never-fit-flyers-philadelphia/amp/

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/platform/amp/2019/2/4/18210865/dave-hakstol-to-spend-time-with-swedens-national-team-maybe-hell-learn-how-to-use-timeouts

Regardless of what the Flyers say, I say give him an interview. As JWags and Chuck said, his history at North Dakota more than proves he’s great at coaching on the collegiate level.
    I’m not about to eliminate a very successful college coach who never adapted to the pros. Who cares if the Flyers thought he wasn’t cut out for the NHL? Should Bama have ignored Nick Saban?
    DICK
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    edited March 26
    Nickskin said:

Flights to and from the Miami University airport:
    Denver
    Detroit
    Cleveland
    Akron
    Miami, FL
    Champaign, IL
    Port Clinton, OH
    Minneapolis
    Chicago

The actual Miami plane has just been chilling in Tulsa this whole time.
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    edited March 27

I hope our first two calls are to Bergeron and Hakstol.

This. I feel like Hakstol would be a grand slam. But if we’re not swinging for the fences, then what the hell are we doing?
  • Redhawk2019Redhawk2019 Summer Orientee

Nickskin said:

Flights to and from the Miami University airport:
    Denver
    Detroit
    Cleveland
    Akron
    Miami, FL
    Champaign, IL
    Port Clinton, OH
    Minneapolis
    Chicago

The actual Miami plane has just been chilling in Tulsa this whole time.

I don’t think Miami owns that plane anymore. It’s no longer registered to them.
    FanSinceIWasAKid
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    I assume someone has to be in charge of organizing workouts and stuff like that.
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    Hope most of the quality recruits will stay. Guess that depends on who the coach will be.
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    The Toledo Blade had an article today by a columnist explaining why the Bee Gee coach may leave for Miami. Sorry about lack of link, but I am not at home. If J Mac can’t link it I will try tonight.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    skin66 said:

The Toledo Blade had an article today by a columnist explaining why the Bee Gee coach may leave for Miami. Sorry about lack of link, but I am not at home. If J Mac can’t link it I will try tonight.

Waaaay ahead of you, old timer!
    Redskin89DICKgentbaseball12
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Bergeron will be named Miami's next Coach.

Here's that article:

Click here or your liver will have a bad American Airlines experience.

• JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    EDDIE said:

Bergeron will be named Miami's next Coach.

Here's that article:

Click here or your liver will have a bad American Airlines experience.

The one that was posted on page two
    EDDIE
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Bergeron made 185K. Blasi 366K. I think 250K would be a nice contract if he is indeed the one. 
    Miami fans: we want a national championship in hockey, a sweet sixteen, and a G5 NY6 bowl placement

Miami fans during coaching searches: let's find someone cheap
    Redhawk2019JCook32MHT_Meme_TeamLove_and_HonorQuinoaburgerJHVMUFBAlumthechuck_2112elpalitoChiefPanic
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    JiveHawk said:

Miami fans: we want a national championship in hockey, a sweet sixteen, and a G5 NY6 bowl placement

Never heard this during the basketball/football searches.

I think it's at the point where everyone is starting to realize that the ends do not justify the means in hockey.
    mooseDanRedhawk
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly

JiveHawk said:

I think it's at the point where everyone is starting to realize that the ends do not justify the means in hockey.
    Everyone is not there....at all.
    JCook32
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    19goSkins said:

JiveHawk said:

Everyone is not there....at all.
    Jump into the Miami football/basketball pool. The water is....well, the water is fucking freezing, but if we can tap into some of that hockey budget, we might be able to fix the water heater.
    AORedHawk33JHVMUFBAlumredhawk11
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Bergeron has a date with the Bulldogs before he says "YES"...and perhaps he goes all the way and then says "NO".
    19goSkins
    edited March 27
    JiveHawk said:

Nate Oats is getting $800k. Jack is at $350k. Jason Candle makes $1.2 mil. Chuck is now 9th in the MAC at $524k. When those were announced everyone wanted to give up.

And tapping into hockey does? The scholarships are endowed by alum. Most of the coaching salaries are endowed by alum. Goggin is owned by the university, not ICA, and was built with hockey alum dollars. Meanwhile, football and basketball are going nuts because they had four alumni acknowledge the program: Ben, Brandon, Dysert, and Wally. Damion was finally acknowledged to get Wally back. The alum culture of graduating and ignoring Miami is about as bad as any program I've seen.

Ronald Harper Jr. went to Rutgers because family members told him to avoid Miami. Want money? Get the alums in order.
    Iam4hawksChiefPanic
    Bluesman said:

Bergeron made 185K. Blasi 366K. I think 250K would be a nice contract if he is indeed the one. 

I would hope (and expect) that we offer whomever the new coach is the same salary Rico was making. I'd certainly demand it if I were the candidate.

I've often commented that I don't think this sort of ICA spending is sustainable, but if we're going to compete, then by god, we ought to be paying what it costs.
    Iam4hawks
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

skin66 said:

Waaaay ahead of you, old timer!

Off my lawn, kid.
    JohnnyMacdave67Bash_Riprock
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    edited March 27
    JiveHawk said:

JiveHawk said:

Nate Oats is getting $800k. Jack is at $350k. Jason Candle makes $1.2 mil. Chuck is now 9th in the MAC at $524k. When those were announced everyone wanted to give up.

And tapping into hockey does? The scholarships are endowed by alum. Most of the coaching salaries are endowed by alum. Goggin is owned by the university, not ICA, and was built with hockey alum dollars. Meanwhile, football and basketball are going nuts because they had four alumni acknowledge the program: Ben, Brandon, Dysert, and Wally. Damion was finally acknowledged to get Wally back. The alum culture of graduating and ignoring Miami is about as bad as any program I've seen.

Ronald Harper Jr. went to Rutgers because family members told him to avoid Miami. Want money? Get the alums in order.

How do our salaries compare to BG and WMU, who also have hockey teams?

I don’t think our next coach should be paid as much as Rico. Rico earned that contract.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Rico definitely earned that contract. But coaches see the data and negotiate accordingly. I think $300k gets us Bergeron...assuming they lose this weekend!
    dave67
  • MiamiMACMiamiMAC Havighurstite
    Why do we care what BG and WMU are paying their coach. North Dakota pays their coach $400k. That is our target.

We have a legitimate chance to win a national championship in hockey, which is more than can be said for basketball and football. Miami earns 2.8MM in hockey revenue vs 2.5MM for basketball. If the ends don't justify the means in hockey, how the hell do the other two?

AORedHawk33redhawk11
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    edited March 28
    MiamiMAC said:

Why do we care what BG and WMU are paying their coach. North Dakota pays their coach $400k. That is our target.

We have a legitimate chance to win a national championship in hockey, which is more than can be said for basketball and football. Miami earns 2.8MM in hockey revenue vs 2.5MM for basketball. If the ends don't justify the means in hockey, how the hell do the other two?

2.8mm in profits? Hah. What are the costs offsetting those revenues. That’s the only true calculation.

And if basketball had half the success hockey had over a 10 year span, it would be grossing over 5mm. The fact that hockey is a national power and is barely outpacing a basketball program that hasn’t gotten out of its own way in a decade should not be a point of celebration for the hockey team.
    AORedHawk33redhawk11DICKChiefPanic
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    MiamiMAC said:

I am curious where those numbers came from. The NCAA athletic budget database indicates ticket revenues for all Miami athletics was $1.1 million in 2017. Contributions were $2.6 million. Rights/licensing were $5.7 million (assume that must include tv money, buy games, apparel contracts). Student fees were $17.4 million, school funds $7.4 million, other $3.5 million. I wonder what they are counting as per sport revenues under that calculation. It is certainly not ticket sales for any Miami athletic programs.
  • MiamiMACMiamiMAC Havighurstite
    Miami isn't a national power today, but it can be based on the conference and facilities.  There are 10 Miami players in the NHL that can be pointed to by coaches to rebuild a program.  As opposed to that awesome MAC basketball that has a single NBA player.  The entire conference has 1 player in the NBA and is a one-bid league.

I don't see how spending money on the only sport that has any path to a national championship isn't a good use of the AD resources as prescribed by some in this thread.

As for the cost, each hockey player cost about $21k in gameday operating expense vs $19k for basketball.  There are 10 more players for Hockey, but 1 less assistant coach.  Add in scholorships  to get the rest of the cost.

The numbers come from these sources:

I didn't look into how Miami reports the revenue.
  • MHT_Meme_TeamMHT_Meme_Team Havighurstite
    I thought this was a coaching search thread
    dave67thechuck_2112