Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Hockey Coaching Search Thread

Comments

• Redhawk2019Redhawk2019 Summer Orientee
    We will know about Bergeron pretty soon.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

yanksalex said:

DICK said:

David Saylor has found some very good coaches that nobody was anticipating so we will see who he comes up with.

He has? Megan Duffy is singular.
    Hayden is doing alright on the baseball diamond.
    I was thinking about a couple of unusual hires in Inako Puza in Field Hockey and Hollie Bonewit-Cron in swimming, plus I think Chuck Martin was a good hire in that we were God Awful when he was hired and we are now consistantly around.500 or slightly below,which is actually quite a jump, we have had two 6-2 MAC seasons in our last 3 years.  I think the book is still out on Coach Owens, his first season we were better than anybody would have guessed, but the second year was disappointing.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Chuck Martin, for very good reason, has largely worn out his welcome. But he was not a bad hire. If he leaves here not of his own free will, whomever takes over will have a MUCH better foundation to work from than Chuck did.
    redhawk11DICK
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum

Chuck Martin, for very good reason, has largely worn out his welcome. But he was not a bad hire. If he leaves here not of his own free will, whomever takes over will have a MUCH better foundation to work from than Chuck did.

That would have been true if any member of this message board short of @Mike took over for Treadwell.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

That would have been true if any member of this message board short of @Mike took over for Treadwell.
    Mike would have hired Jerry Sandusky, though.
    bpat
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Come on home Berge!
    mooseDICK
  • endofslantendofslant Summer Orientee
    Puzo hired by BB
    DICK
    We are shelling out HUGE bucks for Bergeron. May need to have Jack take his squad to Chapel Hill and East Lansing next year to fund this hockey program.
    Redskin89
    Rumor mill has Bergeron as the front runner, but we may have also inquired of AIC’s Eric Lang.
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum

Rumor mill has Bergeron as the front runner, but we may have also inquired of AIC’s Eric Lang.

Well Lang does have an edge in tournament wins...
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    I don't see how replacing Blasi with one of his former assistants who has had only a small fraction of Blasi's success is somehow a major improvement for the program. Everyone seems to be blinded by "Miami Man" syndrome. Bergeron is a fine coach, but 1 Ncaa tourney appearance in 10 years is hardly the measure of success I was hoping to see in our next head coach. I'd like Sayler to set his sights much higher.
  • NYCRedHawkNYCRedHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    AIC's coach doesn't do it for me either.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

I don't see how replacing Blasi with one of his former assistants who has had only a small fraction of Blasi's success is somehow a major improvement for the program. Everyone seems to be blinded by "Miami Man" syndrome. Bergeron is a fine coach, but 1 Ncaa tourney appearance in 10 years is hardly the measure of success I was hoping to see in our next head coach. I'd like Sayler to set his sights much higher.

2 conference championship appearances in 3 years. Never not made it to at least the semifinals. After he took over a 5 win team and built his own, has never had less than 20 wins. 2-0-1 against NCHC teams this season with the OTL against #2 Duluth. And all that while having to recruit to BG. If Mannino sticks around, I think there's a good chance a turnaround happens in under 2 years. 
    dave67
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly

Bergeron has taken a BG program that was on the verge of being done away with and built it back into a national contender, has a great reputation as a recruiter, and has done all of the above with far fewer resources than he would have at Miami. The BG program was in such dire straights that when he was hired and called players upon his arrival some actually responded: "there was a coaching change?" 
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly

AIC's coach doesn't do it for me either.

Me neither. That would be a very risky choice. 

Did you happen to notice how much better of a coach Rico appeared with Bergeron on his staff?
    Bergeron is the real deal. It’s hard to overstate how bad the program was when he took over.
    Bergeron brings Barry Schutte home with him and we keep Mannino for the goalies. I would LOVE this staff.
  • DanRedhawkDanRedhawk Summer Orientee
    edited April 2
    I think zeroing in on Bergeron and Bergeron alone would be a mistake - this should be a legitimate national search - but if at the end he is the guy than that's a very fine hire by me. BGSU was a dumpster fire on the very real verge of ceasing to exist. Anything less than a great coaching job may have left them wishing they had simply dropped the program... 

That said, a legitimate national search would involve, at the very least, kicking the tires on Gwozdecky and seriously considering guys like Rick Bennett, Casey Jones and Grant Potulny among others. I hope they don't rush into anything and a two-week internal deadline seems like a rush. 

The only other job opening in college hockey currently is St. Lawrence and they're not a threat to steal any of Miami's candidates at this time. The vast majority of Miami's current recruits seem more than willing to wait a reasonable amount of time to consider the new coaching staff. Take your time and get it right... 
    Hawks05D_Day
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    I agree that Bergeron is a fine coach and have said as much. He's worked wonders at BG this past decade, and would be major upgrade for a lot of programs. But Miami has made 10 NCAA appearances including 2 Frozen Fours the last 15 years fergodsake. And we are in the premiere national hockey conference. I certainly consider us to be a top collegiate program, as I assume most people with a passing interest in collegiate hockey do. Surely, we can attract a national coach of greater stature. Bergeron should be considered our safety. Like when a kid applies to Miami with high hopes, but submits applications to UC and OU just in case.
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly

I think zeroing in on Bergeron and Bergeron alone would be a mistake - this should be a legitimate national search - but if at the end he is the guy than that's a very fine hire by me. BGSU was a dumpster fire on the very real verge of ceasing to exist. Anything less than a great coaching job may have left them wishing they had simply dropped the program... 

That said, a legitimate national search would involve, at the very least, kicking the tires on Gwozdecky and seriously considering guys like Rick Bennett, Casey Jones and Grant Potulny among others. I hope they don't rush into anything and a two-week internal deadline seems like a rush. 

The only other job opening in college hockey currently is St. Lawrence and they're not a threat to steal any of Miami's candidates at this time. The vast majority of Miami's current recruits seem more than willing to wait a reasonable amount of time to consider the new coaching staff. Take your time and get it right... 
    You didn't mention Hakstol.  I think it would be irresponsible to not give him a call.  There are some legitimate questions about whether he would be interested in sticking around long-term, or whether he'd be just sticking it out until another NHL gig (HC or otherwise) came up.  But, he's got to be on the list.
    DanRedhawk
    edited April 2
    Maz said:

You didn't mention Hakstol.  I think it would be irresponsible to not give him a call.  There are some legitimate questions about whether he would be interested in sticking around long-term, or whether he'd be just sticking it out until another NHL gig (HC or otherwise) came up.  But, he's got to be on the list.
    You're right - I fully intended to and he slipped my mind. I agree completely that any legitimate search would absolutely include him based on what he accomplished at UND. That said, while I love how UND won and recruited I hate how they play the game like some cast-off WHL goon squad... 

He HAS to be on the list - but I would hope that an extensive search would select someone else. However, if they believe he gives them the best chance to succeed (and he may do just that) he should be the guy and Ill get over my UND stylistic concerns... 

I would not be at all adverse to a shorter term solution like Hakstol or Gwozdecky. I think both would in fact be shorter term hires, but pretty close to sure things to get Miami in the upper-half of the NCHC consistently and soon. 

Hire the right coach who can get Miami back to winning hockey games - if that person decides to move on in the future, than make another good hire when the program is even more attractive... 
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    On Hakstol ...

Hakstol has one more year remaining on a five-year contract that pays him $2 million annually, so any interest in the former Flyers coach between now and the end of next season would require permission from the organization.
    edited April 2
    Assuming they do their homework - ANY of (in no particular order) Bergeron, Hakstol, Gwozdecky, Bennett, Jones or Potulny would be very good hires in my opinion (as well as an elite recruiter like a Jerry Keefe at Northeastern). 

As for the latter three HCs listed, its very hard to win at some of the smaller DII schools in college hockey. Many would have stuck their nose up at hiring a guy like Greg Carvel out of St. Lawrence a few years back and what he has done, so quickly, at UMass has been remarkable... 

---

I would think the Flyers would be more than willing to release Hakstol to head back to college... 
  • LurkerLurker Summer Orientee
    Potulny just re-upped at Northern for nearly $300k for 8 years with a $250k buyout.  That 8 years times out to when Motzko hits 65 and likely retires.  He's on Minnesota's short list, not ours.

Back to lurking...
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly

I would think the Flyers would be more than willing to release Hakstol to head back to college... 
    I'm sure they would -- with the exception of the possibility that they'd be on the hook for the difference in salary.  If any job voids the last year of his $2 million deal, he may not want to go back to college at all. It may make more sense to hang around until the NHL off-season, at least, or maybe even to see if he has a shot at the Seattle job (I don't see that, but ...).
    edited April 2
    Lurker said:

Potulny just re-upped at Northern for nearly $300k for 8 years with a $250k buyout.  That 8 years times out to when Motzko hits 65 and likely retires.  He's on Minnesota's short list, not ours.

Back to lurking...
    Well, if you want to hire a current HC - a la Chris Bergeron - there's likely going to be a buyout. Eight years is a long-time to try to keep Northern Michigan up and running at a high-enough level to attract Minnesota overtures. That is a school that faces a lot of obstacles to win - Walt Kyle won 20+ games in five of his first six seasons, but it didn't last...

There is a reason Minnesota zeroed right in on Motzko without looking too long or hard at former Gopher assistant Mike Hastings (Minnesota State) - and that is because success in the NCHC is always going to carry a lot more weight than success in the WCHA... 

If Potulny has his eyes on the Gopher job - turning around Miami would be one certain way to ensure he's a favorite when that job opens up. He better be on our short list... 

---

If Miami can't/won't pay a buyout (and I think they'd be willing to work with one) then we may need to shift expectations away from current head coaches and focus on the unemployed, short-term options (Hakstol/Gwozdecky), up-and-coming but unproven assistants (Keefe/Muckalt) or uninspiring second-tier choices like Seth Appert (formerly of RPI and currently with the US NTDP)... 
    RedHawkBandMan
    edited April 2
    In other news - Jeff Cox (@JeffCoxSports) is reporting on Twitter that Johnny Gruden is leaving school to sign with the Ottawa Senators (meaning he will likely play in London (OHL) next season)... 
    digitalhawkD_DayDICK
    This guy!
    redhawk11RedHawkBandMan
  • Redhawk2019Redhawk2019 Summer Orientee

In other news - Jeff Cox (@JeffCoxSports) is reporting on Twitter that Johnny Gruden is leaving school to sign with the Ottawa Senators (meaning he will likely play in London (OHL) next season)... 

Was not that impressed with him this year.