Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Hockey Coaching Search Thread

Comments

• EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Wishing him the best. His -19 +- was the worst on the team (by far).
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    He was a loafer. With an attitude. Not a good fit for Bergeron.
  • NYCRedHawkNYCRedHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    What is there to think think about and "mull over" lol?
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    B) Best idea is to swap Bergeron and Blasi.
    DICK
  • Redhawk2019Redhawk2019 Summer Orientee
    Doesn’t sound like they did much of a “national search”
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

Doesn’t sound like they did much of a “national search”

It has been two weeks, how long does it take to make a few phone calls and receive some faxed resume.
    AORedHawk33redhawk11
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

BG may sweeten their offer to try to keep him.  Bergeron may want to contact fiends in Oxford who are close to the program to see what he would have to deal with to get us turned around.  If BG sweetens their offer, would Miami increase ours?  Does he have any family situations which would make it difficult to move?
    redhawk11
  • JCook32JCook32 Dodds God
    As someone who doesn't know the college hockey landscape too well beyond the NCHC being the top conference, can someone equate Miami's hockey program to a college football or college basketball program? I'm guessing we're not a top tier program (Alabama, Ohio State in CFB) and maybe not a tier below that but I'm not sure. Can someone share where this job might fall in the college hockey hierarchy?
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    JCook32 said:

As someone who doesn't know the college hockey landscape too well beyond the NCHC being the top conference, can someone equate Miami's hockey program to a college football or college basketball program? I'm guessing we're not a top tier program (Alabama, Ohio State in CFB) and maybe not a tier below that but I'm not sure. Can someone share where this job might fall in the college hockey hierarchy?

We're Tennessee, with a shorter history and no championship.
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Maz said:

JCook32 said:

I lean towards Nebraska without the titles. Had success with a certain kind of player, did not adapt well when stepping up in competition.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    elpalito said:

Maz said:

JCook32 said:

I lean towards Nebraska without the titles. Had success with a certain kind of player, did not adapt well when stepping up in competition.
    Maybe TCU? A decent power conference program that had a bunch of success in a smaller conference, but hasn't been much of a contender since moving up (outside of one season).
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    elpalito said:

Maz said:

JCook32 said:

We have never come close to the sustained dominance that Nebraska had years ago.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

Bergeron has rebuilt and saved a program from closing. He’s got BG going in the right direction and his family has been part of the BG community for years, now. It’s not just “going back to Miami because it’s Miami”, there’s a lot going on with both the office and home front.

Honestly, I hope Bergeron takes his time and does what’s best for him and his family. If that means he come back to Miami, good for us but don’t expect miracles overnight. If he stays at BG for whatever reasons he chooses, continued success to him and I hope he wins a National Title up there. Just not at Miami’s expense, of course.

BG may sweeten their offer to try to keep him. 
    Bergeron may want to contact fiends in Oxford who are close to the program to see what he would have to deal with to get us turned around.  If BG sweetens their offer, would Miami increase ours?  Does he have any family situations which would make it difficult to move?
    Dick, I know you meant friends.  But wouldn't it be interesting if Bergeron was using a Ouija Board to find out who the fiends in Oxford, really are?
    DICK
    edited April 3
    From the Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba.com message board, down at the bottom of the first page:

TalonsDownForWhat wrote:

Heard from a donor close to the program that Berg has a 400k a year contract from Miami in front of him. Senior Administration is working on a short list of coaches to bring in

TalonsUpPuckDown:

Miami State is shelling out $550k in year one with a potential for another $400k if Rico can’t land a gig? Wow. Those are OSU dollars.

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

BG may sweeten their offer to try to keep him.  Bergeron may want to contact fiends in Oxford who are close to the program to see what he would have to deal with to get us turned around.  If BG sweetens their offer, would Miami increase ours?  Does he have any family situations which would make it difficult to move?
    Bergeron's older son is in college at BG and his younger son is in high school. It's conceivable he may want to avoid tearing them away from those connections.
    Professor_Fate
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    JCook32 said:

We’re Miami OH because all we’ve done recently is lose and being a fan is fucking depressing.
    AORedHawk33
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum

DICK said:

Bergeron's older son is in college at BG and his younger son is in high school. It's conceivable he may want to avoid tearing them away from those connections.
    What year is his high school kid? If a junior now, one year living at BG still with perhaps the Mrs or a family friend wouldn’t be too hard. The kid currently there wouldnt have to leave. His $200k increase in salary would help cover BGs tuition.
  • moosemoose Senior Barfly
    https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/6402257-ahead-of-wcha-championship-game-uncertainty-at-bowling-green

“The speculation is more than justified. In 2015, Bergeron went on the record with journo Kevin Gordon about the top job at his alma mater. “I won’t talk about Miami’s head coaching job. Miami University holds a special place because I’m a graduate, I worked there 10 years, and my son was born in Oxford. Anybody who knows me if I said no to that I’d be lying.”
    Sykes
  • adyonkaadyonka Wealthy Alum
    edited April 4
    Bowling Green confirmed that a new contract to Chris Bergeron is on the table. Expected to be a significant raise if he accepts.

https://twitter.com/nickpblade/status/1113849229515153409?s=12
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    adyonka said:

Bowling Green confirmed that a new contract to Chris Bergeron is on the table. Expected to be a significant raise if he accepts.

We're now on the clock. Miami's next move will be to..................
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    Would like a coach, if at all possible, that has had major success in Div. 1 hockey. Miami may not be job currently to attract that type of experienced head coach.

The last 3 seasons has shown how far the program has declined. 
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    Renmanco said:

adyonka said:

I could be wrong but this looks more like Bergeron wants to stay at BG and is using the Miami offer to sweeten his deal.
    If he really wanted the Miami job we wouldn't be going thru this.
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    laxdaddy said:

Renmanco said:

adyonka said:

I could be wrong but this looks more like Bergeron wants to stay at BG and is using the Miami offer to sweeten his deal.
    I don't think it means he doesn't really want the Miami job.  There's little down-side to him in getting a counter-offer.  It is very likely that he's has some ambivalence and is trying to work out what he really wants/what is best for him.  If he can use the process to leverage a better situation - here or there - it may help him make up his mind. Maybe part of the delay is a question of what happens with his assistants ... does he get to bring his whole staff?  Do they all want to come?  Would they be getting a salary bump? Does he have to take on Mannino?  Does Mannino want to stay? There are enough moving parts that it could reasonably take a little while to work through them. Having said all that, the longer he sits on the BG counter-offer, the less likely it is (I think) that he comes back to Miami.
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    JCook32 said:

NCHC= SEC, Miami is some where around Vanderbilt or Tennessee (record wise) and has been as high as LSU, Georgia. If that helps. 
    JCook32
  • NYCRedHawkNYCRedHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Any thoughts on the specifics of the counter offer and what Miami’s was?
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    edited April 4
    Maz said:

laxdaddy said:

Renmanco said:

adyonka said:

I don't think it means he doesn't really want the Miami job.  There's little down-side to him in getting a counter-offer.  It is very likely that he's has some ambivalence and is trying to work out what he really wants/what is best for him.  If he can use the process to leverage a better situation - here or there - it may help him make up his mind. Maybe part of the delay is a question of what happens with his assistants ... does he get to bring his whole staff?  Do they all want to come?  Would they be getting a salary bump? Does he have to take on Mannino?  Does Mannino want to stay? There are enough moving parts that it could reasonably take a little while to work through them. Having said all that, the longer he sits on the BG counter-offer, the less likely it is (I think) that he comes back to Miami.
    Could be something as simple as does the University have a job for his wife or other such things. Could be a question of do his assistants want to come with and would he be comfortable without them?

• BubbaKBubbaK Summer Orientee
    It looks like Bergeron will be making an announcement by noon or earlier tomorrow per BGSYHockey.com twitter.    It is not an easy decision, and I am sure there have been some sleepless nights in the Bergeron household since they narrowly exited the tourney.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    BG should hire Blasi, easiest flip possible!