Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Delta Tau Delta suspended

TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
From the Department of Redundancy Department:

Redskin89

Comments

• Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Sad to see this..my frat at Miami.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Snowflakes is what we want...everywhere.
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    This must be for when I was hired to play Careless Whisper on my alto sax for half an hour at a DTD house party for $100 and all I could drink. No joke, that happened.
    redhawk11MHT_Meme_TeamNescacdadCAredhawk13
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Renmanco said:

Do you know what the hazing activity was?
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum

This must be for when I was hired to play Careless Whisper on my alto sax for half an hour at a DTD house party for $100 and all I could drink. No joke, that happened.

I won the George Michael look alike contest that night.

• moosemoose Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

No Ridgeley contest???

• JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    moose said:

JohnnyMac said:

No Ridgeley contest???

No one knew his name back then, either.

Footbalhead
  • 90skin90skin Senior Barfly
    elpalito said:

Renmanco said:

Grapevine: they were beating up the pledges.  literally hitting/pummeling.  Again, rumor only.  But that is the the story making the rounds.  
    Footbalhead
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    I feel sorry for the sheep involved.
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    edited March 2019
    Renmanco said:

You know over the last 5-10 years there were a couple of fraternity hazing deaths at the University of Texas, but I guess those guys were just snowflakes and couldn't take it.
    The_RockTruckCrewskin66redhawk11thechuck_2112MHT_Meme_Teamaba222
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    90skin said:

elpalito said:

Renmanco said:

Grapevine: they were beating up the pledges.  literally hitting/pummeling.  Again, rumor only.  But that is the the story making the rounds.  
    Yeah...that doesn't sound like just 'snowflakes' complaining.  Not sure how physical violence builds camaraderie. 
  • moosemoose Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

moose said:

JohnnyMac said:

No Ridgeley contest???

No one knew his name back then, either.

“George Michaels tried to do that solo thing and then wham! Nobody never seen Ridgeley ever again.”
    JohnnyMac
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    What happened to the good old days when they woke you up at 3am with an airhorn and made you drink tequilla until you puked?
    mooseDICK
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum

Renmanco said:

You know over the last 5-10 years there were a couple of fraternity hazing deaths at the University of Texas, but I guess those guys were just snowflakes and couldn't take it.
    =>Still beats the elephant walk.

AORedHawk33WellsGoddess944302ChiefPanic
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Renmanco said:

Do us a favor and go butt chug a handle of Everclear. Or are you too much of a snowflake to do it?
    Bash_RiprockAORedHawk33DevilGradskin662xHawkthechuck_2112aba222ChiefPanic
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Wealthy Alum
    GDI... best fraternity ever. 
    Love_and_Honor2xHawk
  • hawkattack06hawkattack06 Senior Barfly
    Typical
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Dicks Til Death
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Bunch of snowflakes, right @Renmanco ?
    redhawk11Bash_Riprock
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    There will be a time when fraternities cease to exist, which would be very disappointing. What is reported to have happened at Delt is a disgrace, not necessarily to Miami (although it doesn't help), but to the entire fraternity ecosystem. 
    MowchNescacdad
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum

Bunch of snowflakes, right @Renmanco ?

Since you asked: What happened in this case is just awful and goes far beyond what should be permissible hazing within a fraternity. I have no sympathy for this type of behavior. Let's move on.
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum
    Maybe they (all fraternities) rethink pledging. As people point out, hazing really doe not nothing to increase bonding. Maybe do a standard "welcome to fraternity life, here's what to expect" at Millett for all potential fraternity pledges. And then at that same time or in another session, break out into fraternities where each can give history, things to remember, etc. to their specific people.

Then everyone can be active and once active any stupid stuff done is on you.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    In high school, I was in Sigma Alpha Rho fraternity. I think the worst thing we had to do, was while blindfolded, feel and squish bananas in the toilet. Of course, we didn't know they were bananas.
    Mowch
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Truthfully, relocating these students in dorms is not a solution for the rest of the student body, who would want to live with these guys? Suspension from the university for a semester seems more reasonable to me.  Do we really want these people in our university?
    skin66redhawk112xHawkAORedHawk33agcMHT_Meme_Teamaba222
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    Kinda makes you proud to be a Delt doesn't it? Bunch of really fun "brothers."

Think there's what, three of four other frats that have been suspended from campus for the same sort of crap.

And to think...only costs you what, $1200/year to have such a great band of brothers? 

Not sure what my buddies had to do during Hell Week as Beta's or Delt's back in the mid 70's when I was there and I knew it wasn't any fun. But I'm sure as hell positive they didn't get forced to fire up a joint or two, drink till they puked or get beat to bleeding with a grooved paddle. 

I'da been swinging back. 

• Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    I was a Delt in the mid-late 70’s. Hazing was pretty bad back then And I strongly considered quitting as a result. There were no physical beatings of any kind, though...mostly just gross stuff during hell week I don’t care to recall. And you could drink yourself blind and we’re encouraged to do a few shots at times, but no one forced you to do so. I am saddened to see that after years of supposed reform on hazing you still have stuff like this...
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Why would you want to join one of these now? I feel really bad for the kids who feel they need to go through this.
    Mowch
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

Why would you want to join one of these now? I feel really bad for the kids who feel they need to go through this.

Are we talking about fraternites or Miami sports fandom now?
    redhawk11Love_and_Honorthechuck_2112DICKagcThe_Sackman
  • FredFred Dodds God
    edited March 2019
    Although I was very involved in many student organizations during my student life at Miami, my lasting attachment to the University has revolved around three aspects of my experience:
    Most importantly- the academic experience. Fortunately this aspect is holding up very well. Perhaps I am biased, based on my position on the faculty, bit overall this remains an area of pride.

Secondly was athletics. (Past tense intentional.) At one time my enthusiasm rivaled most on this board, but for so many reasons previously discussed and to save for a future discussion, I find ICA to be little more than a money pit that our indifferent students are forced to fund.

Third is my attachment to Greek Life. Much of it is a mess, though I am hanging on in my support of a few organizations. This episode is the latest in a series of disappointments regarding the fraternity system, and I continue to be frustrated in the unwillingness of most of them to take care of their facilities and stop the immature and dangerous behavior. Their actions have led to a predictable crackdown by Miami (with similar things happening at other schools) including the requirement of a live-in support next year (house Mom, grad student or something in that realm). Over the past thirty years, we have seen a spiral in which students have shown less and less ability to effectively self-manage a fraternity. There are a couple of excellent exceptions, but unfortunately there are not enough of them. If I were a student today, not sure I would join - I value my independence and would recoil from the layers of rules that the fraternities have forced the universities to impose.
    redhawk11agc