Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019 Indians thread

DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
Maybe the worst looking lineup in the majors, a really weak bullpen, maybe the best starting 5 in mlb.  What kind of a screwed up team is this?  Management chopped about $50million off the payroll at the request of new ownership.  What should have been a cakewalk to a 4th straight divisional title seems likely to end up way below .500.

When Lindor comes back from his injuries, I think I would bat Lindor, Santana, and Ramirez 1,2,and 3 because no one else in that lineup is worthy of being an everyday major leaguer, let alone starting for a team who has been dominant over the last 3 seasons.  Maybe they can produce some runs if they are bunched together.  Right now they are easy to pitch around.

Comments

• Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited March 28
    The pen isn't as bad as you think, and it's not a debate- they DO have the best rotation in baseball. They won't finish below .500. They'll be upper 80s, low 90s in wins. I'm not saying they're a WS contender, but c'mon Dick, takes like this are what is going to keep me away from Twitter.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    edited March 28
    New ownership cut payroll? What did I miss? The Dolans still own the team, no?

Opening Day payroll for the Indians only went down $15M, according to Cots baseball contracts.

I think mid-to-upper 80s wins the division and the Indians should have enough pitching to stay competitive.
  • hawkattack06hawkattack06 Senior Barfly
    Good thing the Tribe didn’t bring Dietrich home.
    TruckCrew said:

Opening Day payroll for the Indians only went down $15M, according to Cots baseball contracts.

I think mid-to-upper 80s wins the division and the Indians should have enough pitching to stay competitive.

Total Payroll “only” went down $15M. But if you factor in $25M in raises for Lindor, Kluber, etc; then it “feels” like payroll went down $40M.

TruckCrew said:

Total Payroll “only” went down $15M. But if you factor in $25M in raises for Lindor, Kluber, etc; then it “feels” like payroll went down $40M.
    If they got raises, wouldn't that make the payroll go up?

TruckCrew said:

My point was you can’t state “payroll was slashed $50M” if it only went down $15M.

In the end the Indians made some difficult decisions to not retain useful players because of their potential salaries.

Re6H5wk said:

TruckCrew said:

Re6H5wk said:

TruckCrew said:

My point was the cost of players they lost is roughly $40M higher than the cost of the players they replaced them with.

It also doesn’t help when ownership is spewing nonsensical lies about how they “lose money every year.”

https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/cleveland-indians-owner-paul-dolan-says-team-losing-money

Forbes reported $284M in revenue and $31M in operating income (for 2017). Not to mention, the value of the team has increased $700M since buying it from Dick Jacobs.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/cleveland-indians/#233e8c526ef3
    I'm following you, hawkattack06. But it's far different than 'slashing' payroll, as DICK indicated. 
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    I actually used the "cut $50 million" from Sportstalk radio I listened to while driving to and from the MAC tournament games.  They got rid of Encarnacion, Gomes, Alonzo, Brantley, Cody Allen, and Andrew Miller and added Carlos Santana.  2019 salaries according to Cot's are:

Encarnacion $20million
    Gomes             7
    Alonzo              8
    Brantley         15
    Allen                 8.5
    Miller              11

Total              $ 69.5million
    Subtract
    Santana          17
    Total               $ 52.5Million

Truck Crew, 
      I get what you are saying, about the total payroll, I guess that is another way of looking at it.
    JohnnyMac
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Those are also just the big money deals, they also got rid of  Lonnie Chizenhall and Melky Cabrera and Eric Gonzalez, all of whom are with the Pirates.  Cabrera and Gonzalez were starters yesterday, Chizenhall was scratched because of a minor injury.  These guys are all better than what the Indians are starting.
    Hanley absolutely hammers one to get the Tribe on the board for the first time in 2019.
    edited March 30
    0-2, 2-1. These are the kinds of games we figured the Tribe would be playing for now.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    .500....That might be good enough.  I was watching the Indians bat, then switching to NCAA hockey and NCAA women's games while the Twins batted until I figured out that I was doing it backwards.  So I started watching Bauer pitch and ignored the Indians batting  and it was more enjoyable.lol
    Re6H5wk
    edited April 1
    Clevenger's outing today (and Bauer's on Saturday) is why the Indians will still compete in the AL Central. Even with an offense that looks like it's going to struggle to score runs (small sample sizes and all). 
    Maybe the worst looking lineup in the majors, a really weak bullpen, maybe the best starting 5 in mlb.  What kind of a screwed up team is this?  Management chopped about $50million off the payroll at the request of new ownership.  What should have been a cakewalk to a 4th straight divisional title seems likely to end up way below .500.

Oh so that's what you meant. 
    DICK
    edited April 1
    Clevinger brilliant, pen awful (though I'm still not really worried about them), offense shows signs of life, and the Tribe wins their home opener.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Starting to think that Carlos Santana's diva attitude is a big problem. After all, he was the only Windian with a BA over .200 in the lineup today (three were "hitting" .000!).
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    The Indians offense so far is even worse than the Yankees.
    Re6H5wk
    Bauer w a no hitter thru 7. But has thrown 117 pitches and walked 6. I don’t know how you throw him back out for the 8th.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Edwards is on in relief.  Here are a couple of stats addressing offensive futility.  The season started one week ago.  This is the 4th time Toronto has had no hitters pitched against them into the 6th inning. The Indians are also very inoffensive.  They have had an "offensive explosion" tonight with 4 runs.  However, the 4 guys who have an RBI are all hitless.  Think about that one a little bit.  However, The team with the fewest runs so far this year is not the Blue Jays or the Indians, it is the Reds. 
    Edwards comes in and loads the bases on 2 walks and a HBP. Impressive.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:

Edwards comes in and loads the bases on 2 walks and a HBP. Impressive.

Keeping that no-no intact though
    Indeed. Edwards (2/3) and Hand (1/3) send the game to the 9th. Toronto still looking for a hit.
    Back to back hits to start the 9th.
    Sack won't like to hear this, but Bauer is good at baseball.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

Sack won't like to hear this, but Bauer is good at baseball.

Nerd wasn't even man enough to throw 400 pitches for a no hitter with 19 walks. I feel bad for the 12 year old girl that he trolled online (and probably still is).
    Re6H5wk
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    You did notice that Bauer threw 117 pitches and was wearing short sleeves with no under armor.  If Francona would have let him, he would have thrown 150 pitches to try to get a no no.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

Starting to think that Carlos Santana's diva attitude is a big problem. After all, he was the only Windian with a BA over .200 in the lineup today (three were "hitting" .000!).

Santana hit a career low .229 last year.  He has long been a dead pull hitter, and I think he has been punished by all the shifts as much as anybody.  I guess he decided to do something about it.  He is going up the middle and to LF every AB and is consistently beating the shift.  He came in at .444 today.  I haven't actually watched him bat right handed yet so I do not know if he is using the same approach there.
    TruckCrew
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Clevinger started off looking like the best starter in baseball today, then hurt his back and got pulled after 5 innings.  On the year in two starts, he has pitched 12 innings and has 22 strikeouts and 4 walks and 2 hits and no runs.
  • CalOhHawkCalOhHawk Dodds God
    What is the  Tribe team BA? Without Santana what is the team BA ?  who are some of these guys? Just watched Major League for the I cannot remember number of times ( 30th Anniversary of the movie this week ) - who owns this team ?