Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019 Indians thread

Comments

• Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Congrats to Jake Bauers on the 9th cycle in Indians history.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Trevor Bauer threw 127 pitches today to get through 6 and two/thirds innings of one run baseball.  That is probably the highest pitch total in mlb so far this year
    DICK said:

Trevor Bauer threw 127 pitches today to get through 6 and two/thirds innings of one run baseball.  That is probably the highest pitch total in mlb so far this year

I think I heard he's averaging 113 per start.
    DICK
  • TAW92TAW92 Dodds God
    Hey, a long way to go, and the Twins are having a great year, but what are everyone’s thoughts on the Tribe at this point? I realize that there was a ton of discussion on this thread that the Indians are a significantly worse team than last year. The thought was that they wouldn’t contend and that the roster was literally half-full of triple A guys. Well, Cleveland is on pace for about 89-90 wins and looks to be playing better heading into the 2nd half. The plus side of all of this is that it’s starting to look like the team has discovered some new young talent that is under control for years to come. Thoughts?
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    The Indians roster is very different now than what we started the year with, and it is better.  Gone from the early season are Hanley Ramirez, Carlos Gonzalez, Brad Miller, Leonys Martin, Eric Stamets, and Max Moroff.  Those were AAA guys and the offense was horrible.

We have gotten some great help from guys who started the year in the minors, particularly Orlando Mercado who has been just tremendous, but also starting pitchers Plesac and Plutko.  Nick Goody and AJ Cole in the bullpen.  Bobby Bradley and Mike Freeman,  That is 7 guys playing major roles now that started the year in the minors.  We just had another AAA pitcher come up and throw 6 shutout innings.

Kipnis and Lindor both missed the first 3 or 4 weeks.  That was a bad roster then, but improved now.  Santana and Perez are both having their best seasons.  Now you can look at this team and think that we are looking pretty decent without getting expected production from Jose Ramirez, Corey Kluber, Carlos Carrasco, and Mike Clevinger.

A cautionary thought, though, is that we just swept 6 games from Detroit and won 2 out of 3 from KC and now we are going to Baltimore.  So that gives us 4 out of 5 series in a row against 3 of the 4 worst teams in the majors ( Miami being the other).  The Indians have taken care of business against those teams, but there will be much tougher stretches of schedule ahead. 

I would say the contributions from the minor league players has been huge and unexpected.  Terry Francona is a great manager, and he has taken what was a mess when the season began and got rid of a bunch of bad pieces and found some good ones.  It is a different and better team now.
  • TAW92TAW92 Dodds God
    DICK said:

The Indians roster is very different now than what we started the year with, and it is better.  Gone from the early season are Hanley Ramirez, Carlos Gonzalez, Brad Miller, Leonys Martin, Eric Stamets, and Max Moroff.  Those were AAA guys and the offense was horrible.

We have gotten some great help from guys who started the year in the minors, particularly Orlando Mercado who has been just tremendous, but also starting pitchers Plesac and Plutko.  Nick Goody and AJ Cole in the bullpen.  Bobby Bradley and Mike Freeman,  That is 7 guys playing major roles now that started the year in the minors.  We just had another AAA pitcher come up and throw 6 shutout innings.

Kipnis and Lindor both missed the first 3 or 4 weeks.  That was a bad roster then, but improved now.  Santana and Perez are both having their best seasons.  Now you can look at this team and think that we are looking pretty decent without getting expected production from Jose Ramirez, Corey Kluber, Carlos Carrasco, and Mike Clevinger.

A cautionary thought, though, is that we just swept 6 games from Detroit and won 2 out of 3 from KC and now we are going to Baltimore.  So that gives us 4 out of 5 series in a row against 3 of the 4 worst teams in the majors ( Miami being the other).  The Indians have taken care of business against those teams, but there will be much tougher stretches of schedule ahead. 

I would say the contributions from the minor league players has been huge and unexpected.  Terry Francona is a great manager, and he has taken what was a mess when the season began and got rid of a bunch of bad pieces and found some good ones.  It is a different and better team now.
    I agree with your points. They did try to mitigate the sell-off of some key players with some guys who were clearly over the hill and finished. I see those moves as a cross-the-fingers way of trying to bridge to the young talent that we are seeing now - talent that the front office probably thought was a year away.

I do think that while we gave the front office a lot of grief early, they do deserve credit for trading for Mercado and Luplow. I also still believe that the total value gained from the Gomes trade was worth it especially given their belief that Perez could produce at the plate in an everyday role. I also think as an organization, the decision to get younger (and reduce salary) was based on some of this young talent that they believed in. So, I still stand with Antonetti and believe he is an excellent front office lead - especially given the budget he has to work with.

DSnyder15
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

Obviously, everyone plays these bums and you have to beat who you play, but you also need to be cautious about this current streak. At least you're in the mix still despite the uneven first half.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    The Indians set a major league record for horribleness tonight.It is the first time in mlb history that a team got shut out by 13-0 scores or worse two games in a row.  And we managed to do it against the worst team and the worst pitching staff in the majors.  The Reds threw in a 6-0 loss today to make it a bad day of baseball viewing.

Also, the White Sox have designated Yonder Alonzo for assignment and the Cubs have released Carlos Gonzalez after about a month.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Season high 10 games over .500 after a long stretch against weak teams.  Tribe now heads to Cincy to face the Red hot Reds who are only 3.5 games out of first.   A split gives the Ohio cup to the Indians again.  Should have Bauer and Beiber ready for the final 2 games before the break.
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

Season high 10 games over .500 after a long stretch against weak teams.  Tribe now heads to Cincy to face the Red hot Reds who are only 3.5 games out of first.   A split gives the Ohio cup to the Indians again.  Should have Bauer and Beiber ready for the final 2 games before the break.

In that stretch they also did this:
    Boston         2-1 in Boston
    Minnesota    2-1
    New York     2-1
    Texas           2-2 in Texas

Let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story
    Re6H5wk
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    DSnyder15 said:

DICK said:

Minnesota    2-1
    New York     2-1

Not sure what your intent of that post was. But that stretch is a 615 winning%. A 99-game win season. Don’t care who you’re playing, that’s good baseball.

DSnyder15
    TruckCrew said:

DSnyder15 said:

DICK said:

Minnesota    2-1
    New York     2-1

Not sure what your intent of that post was. But that stretch is a 615 winning%. A 99-game win season. Don’t care who you’re playing, that’s good baseball.

His intent was to show Dick that they've not only beaten up on bad teams; they've also been pretty good against the top ones.
    TruckCrew
    edited July 2019
    Re6H5wk said:

TruckCrew said:

DSnyder15 said:

DICK said:

Minnesota    2-1
    New York     2-1

His intent was to show Dick that they've not only beaten up on bad teams; they've also been pretty good against the top ones.
    I thought his intent was to keep pretending that he supports a contender.
    Quinoaburger
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum

Re6H5wk said:

TruckCrew said:

DSnyder15 said:

DICK said:

Minnesota    2-1
    New York     2-1

I thought his intent was to keep pretending that he supports a contender.
    I support the Indians...good or bad.  No pretending.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited July 2019
    For DSnyder, That was not my first post about the great opportunity the schedule presented to the Indians.  I mentioned specifically the stretch of 5 series in a row.  Again, please quote me when you are argueing with me as you do not respond to what I actually wrote.  Tribe took advantage, going 14-5, going from 1 game over to 10 games over.  Starting on June 14 and ending on July 4.  

Tigers  28-54  Indians went 6-0
    Royals 29-59  Indians went 5-1
    Orioles 25-61 Indians went 1-2
    Rangers 47-40  Indians went 2-2

So 14-5 overall in that stretch in which all but 4 games were against the 3 teams in baseball who have the worst records.  Well done.

Updating the rookies, Plesac has started to struggle lately and Bobby Bradley is off to a very slow start to his major league career.  The Indians are now in the postseason race so what do we need.  We need starting pitching, but I think we need to wait on Kluber and Carrasco.   Clevinger just pitched a very strong game so hopefully he is back.  Bauer and Bieber are both throwing very well.  Probably the Indians could really use a good power hitter who could play DH/1B or DH/LF/RF.  Jake Bauer can play all those positions so we would have some flexibility there.  Or maybe Bobby Bradley will start hitting.  If he does not do it soon, I think that DH type should be our main target at the trade deadline... Every contender can always use another good bullpen arm.

DSnyder pointed out earlier in the year that the Indians have payroll flexibility, so adding a hitter and a bullpen arm for the rest of the year should be very doable.
    TruckCrew
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    Reading on Twitter that Carlos Carasco was diagnosed with leukemia.

https://twitter.com/clesportspod/status/1147354184783663104?s=21
    TruckCrew said:

Reading on Twitter that Carlos Carasco was diagnosed with leukemia.

https://twitter.com/clesportspod/status/1147354184783663104?s=21

Apparently he hopes to pitch by the end of the month. Seems hard to imagine.
    DSnyder15
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    When I was coaching girl's basketball a girl who had played the previous year got leukemia.  As soon as it was in remission she came back and played.  Last time I saw her, she was about 35 and still cancer free.
    Re6H5wk
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Bad time for a break as this team is playing great right now.  Indians would have the second wild card spot, just a half game behind Tampa Bay if the season ended now.  Also now within 5 and a half games of the Twins.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Boy, there have been a lot of great Cleveland moments in the All Star Game so far tonight.  Among others, CC Sabathia throwing the first pitch to Sandy Alomar, the introductions of Lindor and Bieber and Hand and Santana, Beiber stgriking out the side, having Carlos Carrasco there and the Indians players Standing Up for Cookie, and this inning they miked up Lindor and talked to him while he was playing SS.
    Re6H5wk
    Probably wouldn't have been the case if the game were played in any other stadium, but Shane Bieber is your MVP. Not bad for a guy who was the Tribe's #5 when they broke camp in March.
    DICK
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Odds were +10000 for Bieber taking home MVP.
    edited July 2019

Odds were +10000 for Bieber taking home MVP.

Were there actually odds for this?

Edit: Yes there were.
    Disgusting. Back in my day, we didn't give major awards out to the walk-on. We gave it to the incredible humanitarians who actually struck out the side on 12 pitches to win the damn game.

Aroldis Chapman IS a victim, @mollautt!
    QuinoaburgerRe6H5wk

Disgusting. Back in my day, we didn't give major awards out to the walk-on. We gave it to the incredible humanitarians who actually struck out the side on 12 pitches to win the damn game.

Aroldis Chapman IS a victim, @mollautt!
    Chapman's award is not being in jail.
    DSnyder15DICK
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Remarkable stat.  Max Kepler hit home runs in both the first and second innings tonight vs Trevor Bauer.  Kepler has now faced Bauer 5 times this year and has 5 home runs!
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Twins lost for the third straight day and the Indians, who were 12 out, are now only 4 games out.  The Tigers are now 4-23 over their last 27 games, and 0-9 vs the Indians in that span.  The Indians are 20-7 over the same timespan.

I am going to Cleveland for the next two games, and the outlook is good as Bauer and Bieber  are starting vs the Tigers again tomorrow and the Royals on Friday.
    Re6H5wkChrisW1980Bash_Riprock
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

Twins lost for the third straight day and the Indians, who were 12 out, are now only 4 games out.  The Tigers are now 4-23 over their last 27 games, and 0-9 vs the Indians in that span.  The Indians are 20-7 over the same timespan.

I am going to Cleveland for the next two games, and the outlook is good as Bauer and Bieber  are starting vs the Tigers again tomorrow and the Royals on Friday.
    Mission accomplished with two more wins!  Windians!
    Bash_Riprock
    DICK said:

DICK said:

You are clearly the only source of offense.

DICK said:

DICK said:

You are clearly the only source of offense.
    We can can't all be savages in the box.
    The_SackmanDICK