Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

NCAA hockey regionals

DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
edited March 29 in Rogue Boosters
#1 UMass is leading #4 Harvard 1-0 with 13 minutes to go.  UMass is out shooting them 2 to 1.  Out West, #2 Denver and #3 Ohio State are still 0-0 halfway through the game.

Comments

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    3 minutes later it is 3-0 UMass .  The Minutemen could soon be one win away from their first ever FrozenFour.
  • moosemoose Senior Barfly
    Denver only with 11 shots through 38 minutes
    Denver scores late in second 1-0. Losing face offs 27-8 too.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Still 1-0 Denver with about a minute to go.  Oops. empty netter, 2-0 Denver.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Denver wins 2-0, long flight but a short tournament for OSU.
    mooseLove_and_Honor
    edited March 29
    Go Clarkson

Notre outshooting then 8-0 in first.
    Golden Knights 1-0
    DICK
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited March 30
    Notre Dame ties it with 2 minutes to go and it is going to OT 2-2.  Somehow American International is up 2-0 on St. Cloud.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    American International upsets #1 overall seed, St Cloud.  2-1

Notre Dame comes from behind to beat Clarkson in OT 3-2
    The Godfather just texted me to remind me of this one.  Holy Cross, #4 seed, knocking off #1 Minnesota in 2006.

American International upsets #1 overall seed, St Cloud.  2-1

AIC with 13 shots
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    OMG, wish I still had ESPNU.
    Second year in a row, Cloud wins the NCHC regular season, loses in the final, knocked out of NCAA first game as the top overall seed.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    edited March 30
    It’s really cool seeing all the coverage on the various media outlets that American International is receiving this morning on the heels of their historic upset of the #1 seed in the tournament.

(Sarcasm.... there has been no coverage whatsoever)
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum

It’s really cool seeing all the coverage on the various media outlets that American International is receiving this morning on the heels of their historic upset of the #1 seed in the tournament.

It’s not particularly historic, though. The #1 overall seed losing in the first round has happened multiple times.
    muhawk
  • Redhawk2019Redhawk2019 Summer Orientee
    2-0 Minnesota State over Providence in 1st
  • adyonkaadyonka Wealthy Alum

2-0 Minnesota State over Providence in 1st

Tied 3-3 in the 2nd.
    Kids couldn’t stand the announcers, they changed it to the golf channel.
    Friars up 5-3 with two goals in two minutes of a major.
  • Yager07KumlerYager07Kumler Senior Barfly
    I second the announcers being terrible. Must be nice to be a fourth seed playing at “home” without even being the host school. Again.

I’d like to see the change to schools hosting and change the format to best of three series.
  • NYCRedHawkNYCRedHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Not sure whom I would rather win - Bowing Green or UMD - potential new coach of ours, or a strong showing for our conference

It’s not particularly historic, though. The #1 overall seed losing in the first round has happened multiple times.
    I meant more historic along the lines that a school of less than 2k students just beat St Cloud State... but I guess neither school really brings much to the table in the national media sense.
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum

I meant more historic along the lines that a school of less than 2k students just beat St Cloud State... but I guess neither school really brings much to the table in the national media sense.
    Yeah, maybe if the #1 seed had been Michigan or Notre Dame people would have picked up on it. Most diehard sports fans probably don’t even know that St. Cloud State is a school.
  • MazMaz Off-Campus Slummer
    muhawk said:

Yeah, maybe if the #1 seed had been Michigan or Notre Dame people would have picked up on it. Most diehard sports fans probably don’t even know that St. Cloud State is a school.
    Only if they know nothing about hockey. And then, I’m not sure such a person qualifies as a “diehard sports fan”.

Not sure whom I would rather win - Bowing Green or UMD - potential new coach of ours, or a strong showing for our conference

UMD.

Make the call tomorrow.
    moose said:

UMD.

Make the call tomorrow.
    Right now in the 2nd, BG leads UMD 1-0
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Maz said:

muhawk said:

Only if they know nothing about hockey. And then, I’m not sure such a person qualifies as a “diehard sports fan”.
    This is the point! The only people who care about college hockey are hockey fans (and not even most of them). Many of us on this board are sports fanatics. We have all been able to kind of "adopt" hockey because Miami has been successful. But, hockey doesn't give Miami any extra exposure to the average person.
    If you ranked every team in every sport in the MAC based on exposure produced for their school, I don't think Miami hockey would have one in the top 25. Any men's basketball team that has won a game in the tourney has produced more exposure. Any women's basketball team that has made the Sweet 16 has produced more exposure. Kent State's run in the CWS produced more exposure. I would argue Akron soccer produced more exposure. Football is on national television a few nights every week in November. MACtion is kind of a joke, but people watch and the better games get are discussed the next day on national talk radio and sportscenter.
    I'm not completely in the get rid of hockey camp. I also acknowledge Miami basketball and Miami football are a long way from producing much exposure for the university. But if we are investing in athletics, it's crazy to give money to hockey at the expense of basketball or football. A Miami hockey national championship would be cool, but making the ncaa tourney or winning the MAC in football would provide much more exposure to the normal person.

DICKAORedHawk33Iam4hawksmz343
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited March 30
    No doubt.  I know plenty of die hard sports fans in small town Ohio who know next to nothing about hockey in general and even less about college hockey.  Those same people do know how Miami football or basketball are doing this year, but college hockey is completely off their radar, there is no coverage in any newspaper or radio station in my area.  A few people did ask me why Miami was firing their hockey coach because that did get some media coverage.  
    Maz said:

muhawk said:

The term “diehard sports fan” and college hockey is not synonymous.

College hockey is a niche sport, followed by very few people, similar to a Major League Lacrosse.