Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

AAF Suspends Operations

BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
So the AAF has apparently failed. Suspended operations, told the players they need to find their own way home. Simply put this league rushed to be first to the market and didn't have a good infrastructure in place. They wanted to beat the Vince McMahon led XFL to the table. XFL will start in 2020. I think XFL would be smart to start their season in April, after the NFL draft. That allows time for the Super Bowl hysteria to die down and also allows the XFL to pick up players that weren't drafted or otherwise signed. Especially players in the local markets of their teams that will generate at least some additional fan interest. Also, I think McMahon needs to coordinate some sort of pipeline for his players to the NFL. AAF tried late to do that. That will also generate some interest. Almost like the D League and the NBA. XFL will have teams in Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa and Washington DC. I'm curious to see how this sorts out but I think XFL can be successful if run correctly. McMahon certainly seems like a good person to head it up. I am sure the gimmicks will be great!! Like WWE wrestlers as mascots for each team! 

Comments

• redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Do you know when the NFL Draft is held?
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Around 25 April
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    Once @The_Sackman withheld his endorsement the AAF was living on borrowed time.
    redhawk11killgas20The_SackmanDICKBash_Riprock
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    grumpy1 said:

Once @The_Sackman withheld his endorsement the AAF was living on borrowed time.

I watch enough shitty football being a season ticket holder for Chuck.
    redhawk11DICKBash_Riprockgrumpy1
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    AAF was way too overeager. Started play too fast, didn't get the financial support they needed to survive.

I'm not sure if the XFL will work either, but at least they're being smarter about it this time around. If they last a season and the NFL goes into labor issues they have a shot at carving out a market.
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    The original XFL at least finished the season and crowned a champion.

So the AAF is worse than the original XFL.

Congrats, Vince!
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    muhawk said:

The original XFL at least finished the season and crowned a champion.

It's a debate that will rage on for generations to come.

https://twitter.com/SteveSpurrierUF/status/1113528784148418560
    redhawk11
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    I've got to be honest, I haven't even heard of this league. I wikipedia'd it, and there is no page for it. Don't know what channel it was on, never saw any advertisements for it, and now it has apparently folded. Without this thread, I never would have known of its existence. But did it actually exist? Is this thread real? What day is this?
    redhawk11
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Off-Campus Slummer

I've got to be honest, I haven't even heard of this league. I wikipedia'd it, and there is no page for it. Don't know what channel it was on, never saw any advertisements for it, and now it has apparently folded. Without this thread, I never would have known of its existence. But did it actually exist? Is this thread real? What day is this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_of_American_Football
    MHT_Meme_Team
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    There is a great article on The Athletic detailing the last couple of days of the AAF.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    Some awful anecdotes about players returning to find their stuff already removed from their hotel rooms, injured players left to pay for their own hospital bills, and hundreds of people out of jobs, many of which found out via email.
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:

Some awful anecdotes about players returning to find their stuff already removed from their hotel rooms, injured players left to pay for their own hospital bills, and hundreds of people out of jobs, many of which found out via email.

=>Not saying it doesn't suck for these people, but to be honest, we have seen this script before with minor league football (including Arena leagues) and other startup minor leagues and franchises in other sports.  So anyone who agrees to participate in these leagues get a little less sympathy.  It is a risk they know, or should know, going into it.
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    I think sympathy doesn't have to be lessened, but surprise should be.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    mollautt said:

TruckCrew said:

=>Not saying it doesn't suck for these people, but to be honest, we have seen this script before with minor league football (including Arena leagues) and other startup minor leagues and franchises in other sports.  So anyone who agrees to participate in these leagues get a little less sympathy.  It is a risk they know, or should know, going into it.
    I don't think I can agree with that stance. I mean, they're all humans trying to make a living, right?
    Bash_Riprock
  • Redhawk2019Redhawk2019 Summer Orientee
    This is the league that had to get a $250m investment just a few weeks in to make payroll.
    edited April 4
    TruckCrew said:

mollautt said:

TruckCrew said:

I don't think I can agree with that stance. I mean, they're all humans trying to make a living, right?
    =>Irrelevant.  Our sympathy levels have no bearing on their ability to make a living.  They took a chance on a high risk/high reward venture.  They gambled.  They lost.  They could have chosen less risky ways to make a living that did not have as much upside.

And they can now move on to those less risky ways to make a living.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    AAF didn't have that much upside.  According to published reports, the average annual salary was supposed to be around $75,000.  I get why some folks don't have much sympathy for former Division 1 athletes trying to extend their sports careers.  But I know I'd be pretty pissed if I showed up at Da Firm tomorrow and found all my shit on a cardboard box on the sidewalk and my health insurance cancelled, particularly if I knew my management apparently burned through $250m in venture capital while funding a league where the aggregate payroll was less than $35m.  But perhaps I'm just too soft.  
    TruckCrewredhawk11thechuck_2112Bash_Riprock
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    I get that this was obviously a long shot and every player would have known that. However, something seems fishy about how Dundon bought out the rest of the board then shuddered the league a few weeks later. Let’s see what happens with whatever assets are left. If Dundon turns around and sells them for a large profit, the players should sue his ass into oblivion for fraud. Of course the player contracts probably contained forced arbitration clauses with class action waivers, so it would all be moot.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    edited April 4
    mollautt said:

TruckCrew said:

mollautt said:

TruckCrew said:

=>Irrelevant.  Our sympathy levels have no bearing on their ability to make a living.  They took a chance on a high risk/high reward venture.  They gambled.  They lost.  They could have chosen less risky ways to make a living that did not have as much upside.

And they can now move on to those less risky ways to make a living.
    To be clear, the league was shut down because its principal bakcer was only interested in pursuing the AAF’s proprietary gambling app and never actually cared about the game itself.

The other investors are sophisticated folks I don’t feel sorry for. But guys who gave up regular jobs pushing paper for one more chance at glory only to find that the guy in charge was just using the game play as an excuse to develop an app, an excuse that would be meaningless as soon as the app was mostly done? Those guys I have sympathy for.
    Bash_Riprock
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    @mollautt probably approves of locking children in cages, bad choices and all.
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    grumpy1 said:

but you don't understand... having sympathy is a sign of weakness and is a slippery slope to financial compensation or <gasp> reparations for the undeserving! Now excuse me while I post of shirtless picture of myself holding a 50-lb catfish on my Facebook page. MAGA!
    grumpy1
    politics, please
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum

politics, please

If you insist. 

Kellyanne Conway and Ann Coulter would make for an amazing threesome. 
    redhawk11AORedHawk33dave67Love_and_HonorQuinoaburgermollauttmuhawkgrumpy1
    I'm not sure how something can be funny, intriguing, and gross all at the same, but Alex.... I salute you.
    Yikes!
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum

Yikes!

You also visualize the unmentionable... B)
    DevilGrad said:

AAF didn't have that much upside.  According to published reports, the average annual salary was supposed to be around $75,000.  I get why some folks don't have much sympathy for former Division 1 athletes trying to extend their sports careers.  But I know I'd be pretty pissed if I showed up at Da Firm tomorrow and found all my shit on a cardboard box on the sidewalk and my health insurance cancelled, particularly if I knew my management apparently burned through $250m in venture capital while funding a league where the aggregate payroll was less than $35m.  But perhaps I'm just too soft.  

=>The AAF had a lot of upside for the players.  If they proved themselves, they could land a NFL contract.  Unlike baseball (AAA, AA, A, rookie, independent leagues, Mexican league, Venezuela), hockey (various minor league level here and abroad), and basketball (G League, play in Europe, Asia, etc.), pro football has limited minor leagues (CFL and Arena football is about it).  If a player does not make a NFL roster right out of college, they are pretty much done.

These players likely are not getting health insurance.  The XFL did not pay it anyway.  Maybe post-Obamacare it would be required.  

And Da Firm ain't a big risk of failure.
    grumpy1 said:

=>I am liberty minded kind of guy so not really into government locking folks up.  But thanks for playing @grumpy1
    mollautt said:

DevilGrad said:

=>The AAF had a lot of upside for the players.  If they proved themselves, they could land a NFL contract.  Unlike baseball (AAA, AA, A, rookie, independent leagues, Mexican league, Venezuela), hockey (various minor league level here and abroad), and....

You spelled "hockey" incorrectly, at least for you.
    mollauttTruckCrewDICKmuhawk

mollautt said:

DevilGrad said:

=>The AAF had a lot of upside for the players.  If they proved themselves, they could land a NFL contract.  Unlike baseball (AAA, AA, A, rookie, independent leagues, Mexican league, Venezuela), hockey (various minor league level here and abroad), and....

You spelled "hockey" incorrectly, at least for you.
    =>You are correct that I was incorrect.